ScummVM on 64-bit Windows?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Psychoid

ScummVM on 64-bit Windows?

Post by Psychoid »

I've recently upgraded (if that's really the right way to describe it) to Windows XP x64 Edition and don't seem to be able to get ScummVM to run any more, so I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I didn't heard about it.

Eugene
Psychoid

Post by Psychoid »

Hey, apparently all it needed was a recompile - I downloaded the source code to see if I could get a bit more info about where it was breaking, and after a LOT of messing about to get it to compile... it seems to work!

Now I can play Monkey Island again. Sweet... :D
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

You may become an official ScummVM builder. I.e. what we will need is your contact e-mail, real name (via PM), so you could be contacted at the time of release and properly credited in AUTHORS file and on the website. Also if you agree to the deal, please, send me 0.8.0 built from official 0.8.0 source tarball (not CVS) packed with our standard README file.

Eugene
Psychoid

Post by Psychoid »

You've got a PM
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Where did it hang?

As ScummVM should be a plain 32-Bit app it should work flawlessy under XP64.

ScummVM doesn't use any system drivers, so what was the problem exactly? :?:
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

What's the advantage of using a 64 bit version instead of a normal 32 bit build?
clem

Post by clem »

I guess 32bit would give the subjective feeling you run in some kind of compatibility mode - kinda like running the windows ScummVM in wine under linux :-) (anybody ever tried that btw?)

clem
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

yes, but given that ScummVM uses only 32 bit datatypes and stuff, does it actually make any kind of difference?
"It gives you the feeling" does not exactly justify the additional work of producing special binaries and testing games on yet another platform, does it?

But well, maybe I'm completely wrong about this. That's why I'm asking.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

No you're not wrong at all! I wouldn't think a native 64bit version is worthwhile given the extra effort required and for no benefit. WoW64 is a very good layer on which 32bits can run in 64bit Windows (I've not had any issues).

Problem is AMD and now Intel pushed the 64bit tech without any real reason [for the desktop] and people simply want to use it I guess ;) :)
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Yep, I have tested Win64 at my neigbors some while ago.

Windows-On-Windows64 made Intels and AMDs efforts for emulating 32-Bit in harware look like a lame duck. Unbelievable good job they did with the performance on both 64Bit and especially 32-Bit.

We tried out all the games, all the tools and programs he had, without any glitches except some driver issues, which are already solved by now.

The only thing that didn't work was a system-level defrag programm from Raxco Soft. But it probably also got updated by now.....

For those out there who are doing music with their PCs.

Get a look on Cubase SX 3.1 64-Bit. Now THAT'S performance.....

For those using UAD or MOTU cards, not finding a 64-Bit driver:

Email them, they send you quite advanced 64-Bit beta drivers if you ask :wink:
E-Male

Post by E-Male »

i daubt a special 64bit version is needed, because speed should be fine anyway
but i don't think it wouldn't help at all, if the compiler does some automatic optimization
these of course won't 'help' if you don't have a speed problem to begin with
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

clem wrote:I guess 32bit would give the subjective feeling you run in some kind of compatibility mode
You ARE running in "some kind of compatibility mode" actually: The WoW64-Layer.

I'd also like a 64-Bit build for my Win64, also I must admit that I don't see any real advantages with a low-tech-app like ScummVM.

BTW: The Linux guys compile it 64-Bit also on a Linux64, don't they?! 8)
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Yeah, but that's because there isn't a compatibiltity layer by any means as sophisticated as WoW64, if any.
Psychoid

Post by Psychoid »

Okay, now I'm confused.
I just reinstalled the normal 32bit version to see where it was hanging, and it works. Possibly it was a dll or lib that ScummVM uses that needed recompiling for 64bit? Or maybe my PC was just being retarded...

I should maybe also mention that I didn't do any kind of 64bit optimisations (datatypes and stuff) when I rebuilt it on my machine - I literally downloaded the source code, messed about a bit with the Visual Studio project that was included (it seemed to be out-of-date compared to the source code), and rebuilt it. That got it work where it hadn't before...