Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clem

Post by clem »

lionlegs wrote:If you do mean Residual, then the latest snapshot available to download on this site is from this morning, and a while ago when I checked the snapshot hadn't been updated for at least a month. I don't know whether they've just automated to snapshot process, or someone's been doing something to it...
if in doubt you can always take a look at the SVN repository - apparently the last commit was 5 months ago
lionlegs

Post by lionlegs »

clem wrote: if in doubt you can always take a look at the SVN repository - apparently the last commit was 5 months ago
:( Oh well.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

lionlegs wrote: Grim X apparently comes with a pre-compiled version of Residual, but since the latest version of Grim X I can find is 0.3 from over a year ago, is the version of Residual it comes bundled with still the latest one?
No, I don't think it is. I compiled my own copy fromt he SVN repository.
lionlegs

Post by lionlegs »

Jimbob wrote: No, I don't think it is. I compiled my own copy fromt he SVN repository.
OK. Sorry to ask the same question as I'm sure lots of other people have (although I can't see it in this thread), but what was your experience of running Grim Fandango on OS X? Any crashes or points you couldn't move past because of some bug? How was saving?

And finally, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated not just by me but many others, if someone could compile and upload a basic universal binary (or separate intel and ppc versions) of the latest code.

I'm sorry that I'm just another whiner who isn't contributing anything to the project, but I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has got it this far!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

lionlegs wrote:
Jimbob wrote: No, I don't think it is. I compiled my own copy fromt he SVN repository.
OK. Sorry to ask the same question as I'm sure lots of other people have (although I can't see it in this thread), but what was your experience of running Grim Fandango on OS X? Any crashes or points you couldn't move past because of some bug? How was saving?
To be perfectly honest I haven't really played it much. I have plenty of other little bits and bobs that I want to do, and GTA 3 or Vice City is taking up most of my spare time on an old socket A PC that I've just rebuilt ....
lionlegs wrote:And finally, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated not just by me but many others, if someone could compile and upload a basic universal binary (or separate intel and ppc versions) of the latest code.
Hmmmm, unfortunately I can't do this. I'm not sure, off the top of my head, what the pre-requisites are, but all my stuff is PPC only (installed via Fink). I don't see myself getting an Intel Mac in the foreseeable future.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Unfortunately Residual doesn't work with an 8800 based graphics card, so if you've got one of those, you're screwed :( (Like me)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Unfortunately Residual doesn't work with an 8800 based graphics card, so if you've got one of those, you're screwed :( (Like me)
There is a software renderer (the -soft command-line option) which I guess should work regardless of graphics card. Though last time I tried it, it was a bit glitchy and a bit slow. (Then again, the hardware "accelerated" renderer was even slower on my hardware.)
JohnnyWalker2001

The game looks soooo ugly in software mode that I can't handle it! I wish some 3D genius would figure out Residual! I wonder if we could create a fund to and offer to pay someone?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

The ScummVM team accepts Paypal donations.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Yeah, I'm sure there are some devs dying to get this *cough sev cough*

:P
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:The game looks soooo ugly in software mode that I can't handle it! I wish some 3D genius would figure out Residual! I wonder if we could create a fund to and offer to pay someone?
The software renderer in residual does - in some ways - look better than the original software renderer. Though as I said, it's a bit glitchy.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Since this seems to be the general support topic...

I'm having issues running Grim X on my Macbook. I've read through this thread but couldn't find anything that helped me.

I accidentally chose the wrong file directory when it told me to choose GRIMDATA. How can I bring that up again? When I choose Play Game it just flashes an empty window behind the Grim X window, and on the log it tells me what the debug level is set to.

So, halp if anyone has the patience?
JohnnyWalker2001

Kaminari wrote:The ScummVM team accepts Paypal donations.
They're also, I think, more interesting in ScummVM (which is fair enough, of course!). I guess I'll just have to be patient or learn to code myself!

I know basic C++ and Java, and I've done basic programming in Assembler (create a traffic lights/cross walk demo) - Would that kind of experience be in any transferable? (I'm guessing not!)
boe6ie

Post by boe6ie »

hi guys,
residual seems to be the only way for ne to play grim fandango, because in normal mode and witch grim launcher i can only play in windowed mode and still there are bugs.(sound always repeats and doesnt stop) and when i start fullwindowed the game crashes instantly or (after i have change the graphic settings) i have graphic bugs.
with residual everything seems to run well, BUT; manny doesnt move his head, if he sees something he could use, so this is a little stupid
maybe somebody knows a command or something for residual
it would be phantastic
:D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

boe6ie wrote:with residual everything seems to run well, BUT; manny doesnt move his head, if he sees something he could use, so this is a little stupid
maybe somebody knows a command or something for residual
it would be phantastic
:D
Residual is far from being in a usable state. According to its Wiki page, it can only play Grim Fandango up to some point in the second year. It doesn't surprise me that small things (head movements, shadows, etc.) aren't working yet.