Maniac Mansion NES - prototype

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I do understand that the site(domain and hosting) cost money
but believe if the team needed money towards this then legions of fans would be standing by ready to donate.
TheRedEye

Post by TheRedEye »

Hello, I'm the guy who dumped the cartridge. As far as I know, yes, there's only one, and the guy who owns it would only sell it in an act of absolute desperation or madness. My boys and I had to grease his palms quite a bit to get a ROM dump in the first place.

That said, what I have done is illegal, as the cartridge (like any pre-release software) is stolen property. Even if you were to buy the cartridge to donate to the ScummVM team, I fail to see how they could legally support stolen code.

I'm really happy to see interest in this ROM reach as far as this community though, we worked damned hard to get it. It's really too bad that you guys are too spooked to support it, I would love to be able to play this version with mouse support!
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

TheRedEye, Thank you for your work, Its people like you that ensure that rarities are never lost. I would never condone piracy, and legally own everything that I play via ScummVM,
but im sure after a bit of research into how the spanish nes cart was added in SVN, similar could be done with the prototype for personal use.
Im not condoning this at all, and I know that it could never be officialy accepted as a patch to the code, as its just too risky with the way Lucasarts seem to treat the project, but just saying
It wouldnt be that difficult to compile a version with support. its just a matter of getting scummvm to detect it.
the resources are read from within the game so in theory, the code that enables the US(and others?) to work should enable this version, provided ScummVM doesnt include code to block this version from being played.

As a side note to the devs and moderators ( if this post is a little off color and borderline then feel free to remove it.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

It's awesome that this thread has basically been resolved at last.

I also can't believe this thread is still going after a year and a half :lol:
vladnov

Post by vladnov »

Sorry for bringng this old post up.
But any chance that the Prototype Version of Maniac Mansion (NES) can be playable in ScummVM?

Cheers
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

vladnov wrote:Sorry for bringng this old post up.
But any chance that the Prototype Version of Maniac Mansion (NES) can be playable in ScummVM?
Yes, please, send me the cartridge.

Eugene
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Whoa, zombie topic!