BASS: remake of the musical score

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

Let's please not get into any ego wars. I think that glidem's version sounds very nice. And edweird's demo on http://www.logic.turntablism.info/mp3/bass1.mp3 sounds great too (though with all due respects, it sounds midi'ish too, so I don't see the whole point of argument). We appreciate anybody here who will make a serious attempt at remaking bass's music. So please stop accusing each other of using the wrong software, hardware or doing it the "wrong" way.
edweird

Post by edweird »

I agree, and I'm sorry if any of my posts have come across as accusational or egotistical, that's not what I intended.

Looking forward to doing some work on this later in the week, will post something when I have something to post.

Edit: oh and also, what do people think about my thoughts on the jukebox music, and the other stuff I mentioned in that post.. should all tracks be completely faithful to the original?
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I think every track on any game should remain as faithful to the original as possible. Nothing I hate more than a remix, especially when the original turns out to be far better.

Starting from scratch like you are doing is very commendable, like you say I have done some basic re-voicing and there is a lot of work I could do such as balancing and effects, but it was just an example of how you could improve with little effort.

I wish you every success with your work on the BASS music, I would rather work on Simon the Sorcerer and Discworld anyway so it does not affect me :) so no cross interests to worry about.
edweird

Post by edweird »

I hope it hasn't come across that I don't like other people contributing to this.. the more the merrier, all it will result in is more choice in tracks. It's no more my project than it is anyone else's so by all means if anyone wants to contribute please do so. :D

If you do work on music for either of those games gildem I look forward to the results! There are a lot of great adventure games out there that can only be made greater by content improvement.. Come to think of it I haven't played The Simon games or Discworld games in a while... perhaps I should give them a run through this christmas :)
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

There is certainly no flaming etc here, we are all just expressing our opinion!

Update to the intro, had time to balance and add a few layers:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.wood ... roJWr2.mp3
brkl

Post by brkl »

edweird, I like your ideas about the music. I think you should definitely keep the jukebox music tacky, because I think it's obvious that's what the developers were going for. The bar is supposed to be tacky and cheap and dirty.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Of course, the jukebox should sound like a jukebox and not like a orchestra or something.

You always should be very carefull with compressors. Too often tracks get overcompressed. Though, since the average jukebox does heavy compressing, the jukebox track may be more compressed than the other tracks as well.
Of course, it shouldn't sound that vintage as the restaurant track in CMI.

Also a jukebox sounds different to a shopping centre, because a shopping centre usually has transformers on the speakers.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Outro:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.wood ... utroJW.mp3

The rest I will leave to edweird :)

I will submit pure digital transfers to the team in the near future in my fav ogg format.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Lots of things happening, huh? :)
Interesting. Now I'm really curious what everyone ends up with ;)

edweird:
I don't know about the jazz tracks... In general, I'd stay close to the original, without replacing entire songs. But, well, I don't know a thing about remixing. I'm sure you know what you're doing..
Btw., Mrs. Piermont's theme is played in the court sequence when she enters the room and one of the Jukebox songs (As cool as you) is played when the credits run through. So maybe it'd be nice to have a full-sound version of those tracks too, which doesn't sound like it's being played on an old stereo.
Also, when you enter St. James before going to the court sequence, the band is still there, playing the music and the jukebox is switched off. I think it's also As Cool as You what they're playing...
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

Now it would be really cool to get a Jazz band to play these songs.. :)
brkl

Post by brkl »

I have a slight concern about the remixing:
Perhaps making the tunes sound completely orchestral is not the best possible way to go. I'm concerned that would make the game sound more like epic sci-fi/fantasy (Star Wars) than the humbler kind of sci-fi (ie. Blade Runner). I think leaving some electronic sounding instruments would do the music some good. Think Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack, but to a lesser extent.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I guess this argument all depends on what angle you are going for.

Any enhancements I make I aim to see running with the game one day (hopefully), so staying to the original specification is advisable in this situation.

Otherwise if you are just creating something original, based on the songs from a game, then this approach is not a problem and fans of the title will be impressed by your creativity (or maybe not). :)

Moral of the story.....

Depends on the situation :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Pardon me for the noob question... but how can I tell ScummVM to play custom music scores for a certain game?
clem

Post by clem »

that's easy - you just add that to the source code - ie when the script tells ScummVM to play sound XX from the datafile, it loads that sound XX from an external file instead
JoeysAudioChip

Factory

Post by JoeysAudioChip »

How do.

I'm fairly new to these parts but the prospect of remaking the original BASS score grabbed my attention.

Here's a little something I've been working on today, it's a fairly rough mix at the moment but you'll get the idea ;)

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2YXM ... H6GB245CPA

Opinions greatly appreciated. :)