Land of lore

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

quackshot

Land of lore

Post by quackshot »

hello ! (I'm french , sorry my english is bad)
I am new on the forum !
first , congratulation for your software scummvm.

I use scummvm since two years for play with abandonware's point & click games and not abandonware (lucas arts's games) and I played for the firts time at Elvira 1&2 and it's not realy a point & click games!
it's like land of fore : throne of chaos and I love this game!!!
then land of lore and elvira is a point & click games or not?
and do you think that land of lore can be compatible with scummvm in the future ?
clone2727
Retired

Re: Land of lore

Post by clone2727 »

quackshot wrote:I use scummvm since two years for play with abandonware's point & click games
Forum Rule 0
quackshot wrote:it's like land of fore : throne of chaos and I love this game!!!
and do you think that land of lore can be compatible with scummvm in the future ?
Forum Rule 1 (See the FAQ)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

quackshot wrote: I use scummvm since two years for play with abandonware's point & click games and not abandonware (lucas arts's games) and I played for the firts time at Elvira 1&2 and it's not realy a point & click games!
it's like land of fore : throne of chaos and I love this game!!!
It's true that ScummVM supports a number of games that aren't really point-and-click adventure games. Generally, that's because the games were already partially supported by one of ScummVM's game engines. (ScummVM is a collection of game engines, where each of them supports at least one game.)

For instance, the Elvira games use the AGOS engine. The Humongous "Junior Arcade" games use the SCUMM.

Unless the game engine that powers Lands of Lore is also used for point-and-click adventures, the chances of ScummVM ever supporting it seem extremely slim to me. And that doesn't even take into account the sheer amount of work involved in adding another game engine.

I know the Spectalum project aims to re-implement Eye of the Beholder 2. I don't know how active that project is, though, nor if they plan on re-implementing any of the other Westwood RPGs.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Unless the game engine that powers Lands of Lore is also used for point-and-click adventures, the chances of ScummVM ever supporting it seem extremely slim to me. And that doesn't even take into account the sheer amount of work involved in adding another game engine.

I know the Spectalum project aims to re-implement Eye of the Beholder 2. I don't know how active that project is, though, nor if they plan on re-implementing any of the other Westwood RPGs.
IIRC, the Lands of Lore engine is somewhat related to the Kyrandia engine. Perhaps not so much "directly related" as "using the same underlying technologies and file formats" (just like the Dune II engine is also related to both Kyrandia and Lands of Lore). So while it seems unlikely Lore will be supported in ScummVM, any project seeking to reimplement it will probably benefit from taking a look at the ScummVM implementation of Kyrandia.

Just my 2 cents...
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

cappuchok wrote:IIRC, the Lands of Lore engine is somewhat related to the Kyrandia engine. Perhaps not so much "directly related" as "using the same underlying technologies and file formats" (just like the Dune II engine is also related to both Kyrandia and Lands of Lore). So while it seems unlikely Lore will be supported in ScummVM, any project seeking to reimplement it will probably benefit from taking a look at the ScummVM implementation of Kyrandia.

Just my 2 cents...
And, I believe the EOB2 RE project actually uses some of the kyra code (with permission).
quackshot

Post by quackshot »

ok thank you for yours answers!!
excuse me for the rule 0 but I dont understand why I have not respect the rule 1 ?
clem

Post by clem »

quackshot wrote:excuse me for the rule 0 but I dont understand why I have not respect the rule 1 ?
rule 1 says you should read up things before asking (clone2727 here pointed to the FAQ - especially FAQ 2.3: http://scummvm.org/faq.php#AEN76 telling users not to ask for support of other games)

however, the Forum Index states for the Junkyard forum:
All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion
so according to that it'd be ok to ask questions like that? In this aspect the ScummVM web presence seems to contradict itself...

in any case, a quick forum search for "lore" would have revealed previous discussion of Lands of Lore:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... light=lore
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... light=lore
to name just two threads
quackshot

Post by quackshot »

I finish lands of lore few minutes ago with scummvm !!!!!
it work very well , even if there are some bugs but I confirm that it is competable!

then congratulation for scummvm team and good luck for the sci support.

I played on the french version (french text with english talkies)
raina

Post by raina »

Heh, this thread makes a nice arc. :) *Contemplates digging up LoL CD*