ScummVM DS 0.10.0a released!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

serebei251

OGG compressed voices in french versions

Post by serebei251 »

Hi, I'm french and games like Sam & Max or Day of the tentacle have the file Monster.sog instead of the Monster.sou

But ScummVM DS currently doesn't support OGG files so I can't play those games in french. I'd like to know if you plan to add this kind of support in the future versions of ScummVM DS or if there is another way to play those games in french with the voices.
Thank you for your attention

PS : ScummVM DS ROXXXXXX
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: OGG compressed voices in french versions

Post by DrMcCoy »

serebei251 wrote:Hi, I'm french and games like Sam & Max or Day of the tentacle have the file Monster.sog instead of the Monster.sou

But ScummVM DS currently doesn't support OGG files so I can't play those games in french. I'd like to know if you plan to add this kind of support in the future versions of ScummVM DS or if there is another way to play those games in french with the voices.
You could recopy the monster.sou from your original media.
serebei251

Post by serebei251 »

my original french CDs of Day of the tentacle and Sam and Max already contain a monster.sog file so what am I supposed to do ?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

serebei251 wrote:my original french CDs of Day of the tentacle and Sam and Max already contain a monster.sog file so what am I supposed to do ?
Are you sure that's an original CD? ScummVM can support compressed monster.sou files, but I've never heard of LucasArts's own SCUMM engine doing it.
serebei251

Post by serebei251 »

it's a lucasarts compilation of adventure games and scummVM for pc is provided into the CD
Of course it's an official cd
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

serebei251 wrote:it's a lucasarts compilation of adventure games and scummVM for pc is provided into the CD
Of course it's an official cd
And where did you buy it? At least we don't know of any LA compilation with ScummVM.
serebei251

Post by serebei251 »

here is a link...

http://www.alapage.com/-/Fiche/JeuxVide ... s-arts.htm

edit : I made a mistake, scummvm isn't in the cd but it's written in the readme that scummvm can launch the games on actual OS
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

serebei251 wrote:here is a link...

http://www.alapage.com/-/Fiche/JeuxVide ... s-arts.htm

edit : I made a mistake, scummvm isn't in the cd but it's written in the readme that scummvm can launch the games on actual OS
That's very odd. In the past, LucasArts's attitude towards the ScummVM project has ranged from indifferent to openly hostile, so why would they be promoting us all of a sudden?

I assume there's some sort of original DOS or Windows interpreter for the games included on the CD. Does that one know how to play sounds from the monster.sog file? If it doesn't, surely the product is defective?
serebei251

Post by serebei251 »

the exe files allow me to run the games on Win XP with the sound without scummvm, I think they updated their engine. But to run them on mac or linux they only give the name of scummvm
cyx

Post by cyx »

serebei251 wrote:[...] But to run them on mac or linux they only give the name of scummvm
This is interesting. Where (which file/CD) is this mentionned ?
I bought this compilation in 2003, but I haven't been able to find any reference to ScummVM on the box nor the .pdf files present on the CD.
serebei251

Post by serebei251 »

readme file :

Cette compilation des meilleurs jeux Lucasarts contient:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis FR
Sam & Max FR (Voix FR)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade FR (VGA 256 Couleurs)
Day of the Tentacle FR (Voix US)
The Secret of Monkey Island FR (VGA 256 Couleurs) Musique CD AUDIO -> Ogg/Vorbis (tres bonne qualité)
Monkey Island 2 : LeChuck's Revenge FR
Full Throttle FR (Voix FR)

Tout ces jeux sont jouables sous Linux et Windows grâce à ScummVM (http://scummvm.sourceforge.net)
cyx

Post by cyx »

The games you list doesn't match with the Ubisoft compilation you mentionned before.
And I'm pretty sure Indy3 has never been *officially* translated to french...
serebei251

Post by serebei251 »

you're right, I thought I had this pack because it's the only one I found on the web...
I got my cd from a friend but I think he copied from a real cd and I'm pretty sure he is not able to compress sound into ogg
I'll ask him where he got it...
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

serebei251 wrote:I got my cd from a friend but I think he copied from a real cd
This still means you have no legal copy.
You've therefore violated forum rule #0 and won't get any help here.
serebei251

Post by serebei251 »

does this mean the pack I thought I had contains sound in the .SOU format ?