Music and Soundfonts

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gourry

Music and Soundfonts

Post by Gourry »

Hello,
I was wandering if it was possible to use soundfont loading functionality under Windows... On ScummVM readme.txt it says it is supported only by some music drivers (as far as I have understand only by Fluidsynth and Alsa that are not usable in Windows version)... Is there any way to use them in windows or they are provided for linux and other OS only? I don't have a soundfont capable card (I used to have a Sound Blaster Live, but now I have only horrible Realtek AC'97 chipset on my motherboard)...

Another question strictly related is: has anybody released some optimized soundfonts that plays wery well music in scummvm games? I'm not referring to "similar as the original" as I never liked OPL2/OPL3 midi synthetizer, but something that give new life to old midi music without "strange" instruments (when I used to have a SBLive I played around with many soundfonts but always found some intruments that spoiled the melody)
E-Male

Post by E-Male »

you can try this if your soundcard doesn't support soundfonts (workes here)

get a freeware tool called synthfont, load the soundfont of your choice in it (you can even combine multiple ones and add vst instruemnts and effects, but you don't have to)
set it to play midi input

set scummvm to pass the midi to the midi out-put

as a conenction you need an other freeware caled midiYoke which basicly is the software version of a loop-back cable

if you can't get these tools to work just post again and i'll try to give more detailed help (i know my explaination is kinda backwards und unsorted, but i hope you get the idea)

as for free good (and therefor often big) soundfonts, just google and try some different searchwords, with some patience you'll find some pretty cool sites, some need free registration which often is worth it

also yo ucan try p2p, but it'll be your own responsibility to make sure the fonts are really free and not illegally shared
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Thanks for the reply! I have tried something similar with the trial version of a commercial software a couple of months ago. I'm really glad there is a freeware way to do the same job!

So at the end there is no use for the built-in ScummVM functionality of soundfont loading in Windows? And currently no one has released some "optimized" banks?
E-Male

Post by E-Male »

Gourry wrote:So at the end there is no use for the built-in ScummVM functionality of soundfont loading in Windows? And currently no one has released some "optimized" banks?
AFAIK (don't quote me on that) the linux version also needs other tools for soundfonts
but IMO using midiyoke&synthfont isn't difficult, and the result can be well worth it

i can't give an ETA because i just started a new job (rather a new education at a company), but i have all software i need and quiet a nice (but badly sorted) collection of source files, so i'll start working on my "general game and listening"-soundfont ASAP
if you really really need special version for every game you can still mod this one (or any good one you find)

as i said "no ETA", but i'm planing some of my spare time for this
i really wanna help making game-midi (especially imuse) sound as good as possible
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Is there an manual of how I can use soundfonts with ScummVM ...do I have to use one of these progs.? My Soundcard is a SoundBlaster Audigy 4 .
E-Male

Post by E-Male »

scummvm can just use the midi of your soundcard, and yours should support soundfonts
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Why is there a Soundfont button in the GUI in the MIDI tab?
It look pretty much like ScummVM could load a soundfont. Does this make any sense?
If it's disabled for some reason or its support is not compiled in, there should be no such button.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Why is there a Soundfont button in the GUI in the MIDI tab?
It look pretty much like ScummVM could load a soundfont. Does this make any sense?
If it's disabled for some reason or its support is not compiled in, there should be no such button.
It's used by the FluidSynth and CoreAudio MIDI backends.
E-Male

Post by E-Male »

which i (with only little trying i admit) didn't find for windows
so i took the liberty to describe thr 2 methods above, which should work fine on windows
Sordid

Post by Sordid »