Lost in Time

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vorph

Lost in Time

Post by Vorph »

Hello,

as Coktel Visions "Lost in Time" is on the best way of beeing playable with ScummVM, I did a little ebay research.

I found several people offering something called "Lost in Time Part 1 & 2" coming on 11 Disks or 1 CD (seems to be Multilingual)

Are both games supported :?:

I'am especially curious as no 2nd "part" is mentioned on the according mobygames site...

Kind regards Vorph :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Lost in Time

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vorph wrote: I found several people offering something called "Lost in Time Part 1 & 2" coming on 11 Disks or 1 CD (seems to be Multilingual)

Are both games supported :?:
According to the Wikipedia article about the game, the game was originally split into two parts that were sold separately. The CD version, and later floppy releases, were not split like that.

If I understand that correctly, any CD release will have both part 1 and part 2. I know DrMcCoy, who is doing all the work on supporting the game, has a floppy version, but I don't know which one. I have the CD version, and so far the game is working fairly well for me, except for glitches in the animated cutscenes. I haven't played through the whole thing yet, though.
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Ah, I see

looks loke I'll try to get the CD Version :)

Vorph
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

Oh that sounds G R E A T !!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

because LiT is so hard to configure in DosBox and runs not in Win95/98
and needs tons of free konv. memory.....aso, ect, pp,

I will try instantly the new SVN (or howsoever you name it)

and a BIG ' thank you', DrMcCoy for making it playable in ScummVM !!!!!

ko (enthuastically)

P.S.: If anyone of the ScummVM developers wants a CD Version: please write a PM to me !!!
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

I have tried the english floppy version, runs fine. :)
From a German CD Version I can't hear musik, no speech either.
I made an Image from the CD and extracted that into a folder.
Unfortunately CD Rom on the PC decreased function :roll: :evil: , so i could not run the Game from CD directly.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

kosuan wrote:.
I have tried the english floppy version, runs fine. :)
From a German CD Version I can't hear musik, no speech either.
I made an Image from the CD and extracted that into a folder.
Unfortunately CD Rom on the PC decreased function :roll: :evil: , so i could not run the Game from CD directly.
The English CD version has the sound as one long audio track on the CD. I assume the German version is similar. Possibly even identical, as my CD version includes German subtitles. Like with other such games, ScummVM can play the sound from a compressed audio file as well. See the README file for further details.
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

So i've read the Readme - especially chapter 7 - but must confess
it doesn't make it really clear to me what i should do next. :|
Do i have to compress the Audio file in what form, can i do it with iTunes maybe :?: :?: :? :?
So, if you could elaborate a little more on the subjekt i might get it too.... maybe

thankx, ko
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I cant wait to find my copy of Lost In Time 1+2,
I loved this game, never managed to finish it though
Thank you ScummVM and DrMcCoy
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

kosuan wrote:.
So i've read the Readme - especially chapter 7 - but must confess
it doesn't make it really clear to me what i should do next. :|
Do i have to compress the Audio file in what form, can i do it with iTunes maybe :?: :?: :? :?
So, if you could elaborate a little more on the subjekt i might get it too.... maybe
I'm not familiar with what iTunes can or can't do. When a game tries to play CD audio track N, ScummVM will look for the following files:

trackN.flac
trackN.fla
trackN.ogg
trackN.mp3

These files are assumed to be FLAC, Ogg Vorbis or MP3 files, depending on their names. The first audio track on the CD is track number 1. (Some programs may think it's track 2, since they count the data track as well.) ScummVM will use the first of these files that it finds. At least in the development version, ScummVM will try both with or without zeroes to pad the number to two digits, e.g. if N is 5 it tries both "track5" and "track05". (I didn't know that until now, so I don't know how old that feature is.)

If all else fails, ScummVM tries to play the audio track directly from the CD.
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

Now finally a got it working. :) :lol: :lol:
I had such a hard time with this particular game
and tried so often under Win98 and Dos - futile, useless...:roll:
And now it's so simple .... indescribably ...
:) :) :)
eriktorbjorn wrote:......I'm not familiar with what iTunes can or can't do. ....
So, iTunes is kind of an extended frontend for some Quicktime routines (and a bit more ...) :wink:
and i used it to compress the Audio file to an mp3, 192kb/sec 44100somewhat
I named the compressed Audio 'track01.mp3' , putted it into the game directory and started the game as usual in ScummVM.
Already from the first scene i may say that the CD Version has some additional views, and the music is quite different from the floppy version. And it's with a little speech in the cutscenes.
And it 's a great game, with atmosphere, fine GUI and cool graphics.
Thanks to the whole ScummVM-Team and especially to DrMcCoy .....
ko :)
saulob

Post by saulob »

So, what are the DATA files that the game need to run ? :)

I got the CD version.

I mean, there are a lot of files on the source folder and a INN folder inside of it.
eriktorbjorn wrote:The English CD version has the sound as one long audio track on the CD.
Ok, there's really one audio track on it. Just ripped it from my CD, one mp3 file, 52min of audio. Conversations, sounds....

The strange thing is, without the audio track/cd on drive, the game is playing all the sound. I mean, music, the talking, ambiance, is it really supose to work like that ? Worked the same way. I mean. When it call for that track ?

Just curiosity... thanks.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

saulob wrote:So, what are the DATA files that the game need to run ? :)
I can't check right now because the CD (thanks again, kosuan :)) is already packed away for transport to my new flat and my desktop machine just died on me, but I think it wasn't that different from the floppy version (+ the audio track).
So you'd need *.stk, *.itk and *.ltk.
saulob wrote:The strange thing is, without the audio track/cd on drive, the game is playing all the sound. I mean, music, the talking, ambiance, is it really supose to work like that ? Worked the same way. I mean. When it call for that track ?
Hmm, what do you mean?
fac

Post by fac »

saulob wrote: I mean, there are a lot of files on the source folder and a INN folder inside of it.
INN = ImagiNation Network (not needed)
saulob wrote: The strange thing is, without the audio track/cd on drive, the game is playing all the sound. I mean, music, the talking, ambiance, is it really supose to work like that ? Worked the same way. I mean. When it call for that track ?
Just tested myself and without the audio track there is no music and voices (only sound efects).

DrMcCoy: By the way, does the CD version has all the subtitles in the DATA files, or only those who aren't in the audio track?
Collector

Post by Collector »

fac wrote: does the CD version has all the subtitles in the DATA files, or only those who aren't in the audio track?
They are not in the audio track.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

DrMcCoy wrote:So you'd need *.stk, *.itk and *.ltk.
I just checked and you additionally need the lost.lic, it's the "index" for the CD audio track.
fac wrote:DrMcCoy: By the way, does the CD version has all the subtitles in the DATA files, or only those who aren't in the audio track?
For non-English text, the spoken lines in the audio track are subtitled with your chosen language. When you've chosen English, they aren't.