Wee.. have a look at what I just bought (FM Towns)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

laffer wrote:Basically, it's made up of various sounds
More commonly known as "syllables".

Did you get the computer that goes with those games? Zak FM-Towns is ok, but you've got a hell of a lot of hentai to catch up. It would be a shame not to put this machine to proper use.
laffer

Post by laffer »

I already have more than enough hentai games for the PC so there is really no need for any FM Towns hentai.. besides, I do not have the machine.. I use scummVM to play these games.
peres
ScummVM Developer

Post by peres »

laffer wrote:No, when the Japanese write foreign words, they use what is called the hiragana. Basically, it's made up of various sounds and they go with what sounds closest to the real word. That's why it often sounds very odd when Japanese people occasionally say English words in anime and the likes.
Just for accuracy, the words on your boxes are written in katakana. Hiragana alphabet is not used for foreign words.

peres
laffer

Post by laffer »

Yeah, of course.. I mixed up harigana and katakana.

Anyway.. I just finished Indy 3 for FM Towns now (one of the few Lucasarts games I'd never finished) and I think the audio tracks really add to the atmosphere.

It's a pretty good game but it has some annoying things like how avoiding fights depends on you picking the correct lines.. when there is no logic behind what to pick (just trial and error).
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Congrats laffer, i cant wait until i have all six in the same spot too :D Currently i have LOOM and INDY3 and had access to a disc only version of zak (which unfortunately has moved away now as the co-owner has left town and i didnt have the cash for the buyout at the time :( )
The ones i want the worst though is MI 1 and 2, then ill have all english ports of the 2D MI games :D My goal is to eventually get all releases of the MI series, as that was where my collection started, even before discovering ScummVM :)
ssdsa

Re: Wee.. have a look at what I just bought (FM Towns)

Post by ssdsa »

laffer wrote:I've been looking for these games for some time and I finally have them all. I especially like Zak, Indy 3 and Loom as those are the ones with rather big changes. However, the poster that comes with Indy 4 is decent too
Congratulations!

Does your copy of Zak for FM Towns come with a newspaper?

And does the back show three screenshots (like this image from KtJ Dragon's SCUMM in Japan site) or does it show two screenshots and a picture of the goodies (like this one from the LucasArts Museum)?
tobybear

Post by tobybear »

In case anyone is interested, here are the transcriptions of the titles in katakana from the screenshot:

- monkii ailando
- zakku makkuraken
- indi shoonsu: atolantisu no unmei (fate)

I particularly like how they translated both Indiana Jones Titles to "indi shoonsu" :-)

Cheers

Toby
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

tobybear wrote:I particularly like how they translated both Indiana Jones Titles to "indi shoonsu" :-)
you expected them to differ?
clem

Post by clem »

tobybear wrote:In case anyone is interested, here are the transcriptions of the titles in katakana from the screenshot:

- monkii ailando
- zakku makkuraken
- indi shoonsu: atolantisu no unmei (fate)

I particularly like how they translated both Indiana Jones Titles to "indi shoonsu" :-)
more like

monkii airando
indi joonzu

(and it's "atorantisu")

- at least as far as I know (if you don't distinguish r and l in kana, why distinguish them in transcription?)
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

not to mention there is no actual "L" in the Japanese alphabet.
laffer

Post by laffer »

ssdsa wrote: Does your copy of Zak for FM Towns come with a newspaper?
Sadly, it did not. Is it different from the newspaper in the PC version? I already have that of course.

I'm still looking for another copy of Zak since the box is a little dented and I'd like to have the newspaper that came with the FM Towns version as well even if it's the same.
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

laffer wrote:
ssdsa wrote: Does your copy of Zak for FM Towns come with a newspaper?
Sadly, it did not. Is it different from the newspaper in the PC version?
Yes, it is in Japanese. Just have a look at the picture in the Lucasarts Museum.

The newspaper is quite rare. The two copies of Zak for FM-Towns I acquired both came without one.

Concerning my previous post: What about the back cover of your copy? Does it show three or two screenshots?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

exofreeze wrote:not to mention there is no actual "L" in the Japanese alphabet.
Yes, but there's no "R" sound in Japanese either (and there's no Japanese alphabet per say). The "R" was just a US transcription that got widely adopted. The actual sound is "L" (or more like a Spanish "R").

But "Kaminari" looks cooler than "Kaminali" for sure :)
clem

Post by clem »

Kaminari wrote:Yes, but there's no "R" sound in Japanese either (and there's no Japanese alphabet per say). The "R" was just a US transcription that got widely adopted. The actual sound is "L" (or more like a Spanish "R").

But "Kaminari" looks cooler than "Kaminali" for sure :)
I always perceived the sound to be in between r and l (also funny how Chinese names are transcribed with l but not r) - however, all japanese transcription systems seem to exclusively rely on "r"

since transcriptions end up being arbitrary anyway (ghoti anyone?) you could even use little hello kitty heads instead of that sound :) - just make sure to not use different symbols for the same sound

anyway, this is getting waaaay offtopic