Scummvm does not run on P1i

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

i.geukes

Scummvm does not run on P1i

Post by i.geukes »

Used to run scumm on my SE P910i. Always worked great. However I just bought a SE P1i (great phone by the way) and scummvm stops as soon as I select the game and press start.
Can somebody help or give me a clue how to solve this.
Thanks.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

in other words it crashes?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

This can be one of the following seven hundred reasons:

1. P1 uses a new-and-supposedly-improved UIQ3.1, which while advertised as fully backwards compatible, might not actually be that.
2. If you are launching non-SCUMM or Talkie/CD SCUMM games, ALWAYS allow for at least two minutes' worth of loading time. This is how much the best-case scenario is on my W950i (with Full Throttle, DIG and CoMI); the worst-case scenario (FOTAQ Talkie) is almost five minutes. In this case the ScummVM menu will shift to an empty black screen, this is normal.
3. If the program reverts back to the game selection menu, you're missing files or they got blorked during transfer. Happened to me more than once, had to copy them straight off the game CDs. Please note that with Waxworks this will happen regardless of game version, it's blatantly unsupported-ish right now.
4. All the other reasons deserve further elaboration on your part, starting with the amount of free RAM and the names (AND VERSIONS!) of the games you're trying to launch.

Also, bear in mind that AnotherGuest explicitly said that MP3-compressed Talkie games won't probably ever ever run on Symbian due to processor speed constrictions.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

The problem with MP3 is that the decoder is acting up at sometimes. Thought I fixed it, but not in all cases for S60v3 it seems. As for support for the P1i, well, what version of scummvm are you running and which games/versions are you running. And remember, only original game floppies/cds are supported, no pirateware here!!
i.geukes

Post by i.geukes »

PsYcO wrote:in other words it crashes?
No it goes back to the main menu of the phone from which I started Scumm from.
i.geukes

Post by i.geukes »

Still not running.

Some more info:

Downloaded the latest version of Scumm for Symbian UIQ.

I try to run Monkey Island1 and 2.
Same software runs on my P910i. I am not missing any files.

I am now checking the RAM-use.

Thanks for your help so far.
i.geukes

Post by i.geukes »

Haven't got a clue to solve it. Anyone else with a P1i with better results?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well SAME software do not run on the P910i, as thats a UIQ2 device and P1i is a UIQ3 device. Also ScummVM has changed quite a lot between the last working UIQ2 version and the latest UIQ3 version, i.e your old game files might not be complete, so please try to copy the games from the original CDs/floppies again.

Can't be a RAM issue since a P1i have at least 64 mb free.
i.geukes

Post by i.geukes »

Tried recopying the files. Checked if they were complete. Everything is OK. And of course I have the originals.
So any other suggestions?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Try FOTAQ (ogg version) and Beneath a steel sky. Both are available for download from downloads.
niekie

Post by niekie »

It does run on my P1i, in combination with dott it does! Sometimes however it crashes with a kernel error, always at the same moment, when loading al screencut. If viewing the screencut is cancelled it is possible to proceed. I am using version 0.9.0 at this moment, trying to upgrade did'nt function, it won't start up the game (returns to phone menue, just like you described).
Hope this is helpfull to you
r_e_n_e

Same Problem!

Post by r_e_n_e »

Hey guys, I just bought a P1i and have the same problem as i.geukes. I try launching a game, and BOOM. I'm thrown back to the main menu/home screen. In other words, ScummVM crashes completely.
The games I have tried so far are The Curse of Monkey Island and Indy and the Last Crusade.
ANY help would be sincerely appreciated. I am new to the platform and pretty inexperienced. Thanks guys!
r_e_n_e

Post by r_e_n_e »

BTW, Ive quit every single application on the task manager, so I don't think its lack of memory. Is there a setting within ScummVM that needs tweaking? Thanks again!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Sounds like the wrong gamedata. Please recopy from original cd/floppy again!
r_e_n_e

Post by r_e_n_e »

Hey Anotherguest, thanks for the really quick reply!

Alright, I'm a total noob in the phone dept, so I'm sorry about that. Alright, I copied the exact game files from the floppy for maniac mansion for example. Then I copied those to the memory card. From Scumm in my phone I added the game no problem. Left everything on default. But when I go to launch it.... BOOM. Right back to my phone's main menu. No error message. However, sometimes upon clicking on settings in ScummVM i am thrown back to my phone's menu, and a brief msg saying "DUMP File created" shows up.

Are there specific game files I should copy and others i should not? I don't for example, understand in the Scumm Wiki ( http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... nhanced.29 ) how it says to copy *.LFL , and that's its the essential game file. There's like 6 LFL files with Maniac Mansion.... Which one does the ScummVM Wiki mean? :S

Sorry for the trouble guys, and thanks so much!

Oh PS: another possible bug that might help in solving this..... If from the ScummVM menu I turn my job wheel to the left the app crashes. That does not happen if the job wheel is turned to the right.