Best program to develop a new adventure to be used with SCUM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rivadolmo

Best program to develop a new adventure to be used with SCUM

Post by rivadolmo »

:D
Hello to everybody I'm a newbie here and I need your support to understand which program (SCI, AGI,etc) to be used to develop a new adventure to be played through SCUMMVM.

Thank you

Very Much

Hope to delight you after with the finshed work
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

You can create AGI games to play under SCUMMVM. SCI isn't supported by SCUMMVM.
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

:shock:

Do you think AGI is the best program to be used?
oduverne

Post by oduverne »

rivadolmo wrote::shock:

It's not the best program but the only one that you can use with scummvm
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

No way for create a "scumm game maker"?
The source code of scumm is in the code of scummvm... or not?
robinwatts
ScummVM Developer

Post by robinwatts »

MrPunchy wrote:No way for create a "scumm game maker"?
The information needed to create a ScummVM game maker should indeed all be contained within the ScummVM source code.

That doesn't mean that anyone has taken that information and coded such an authoring system though.

Would be a cool project though...

Robin
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

The original scumm compiler is not avaible for creating adventures? I know isn't used anymore and should be avaible for modding.... :roll:

oduverne wrote:
rivadolmo wrote::shock:

It's not the best program but the only one that you can use with scummvm
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MrPunchy wrote:No way for create a "scumm game maker"?
Of course it's possible. Someone even seems to have started on one, though I don't know what its status is. But I haven't heard any of the ScummVM developers express much of an interest in one.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

The main reason imo is that it doesn't make too much sense.
If one wants to make an own adventure, I'd recommend using other engines like AGS or AGAST or to make an own adventure engine.
A lot in SCUMM is in the scripts anyway, so without the code to these you'd need to code the SCUMM-code from scratch.
Also, existing engines (especially AGS) already have a big community to help out others.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

rivadolmo wrote:The original scumm compiler is not avaible for creating adventures? I know isn't used anymore and should be avaible for modding.... :roll:
It's possible that LucasArts still have a copy of it, of course, assuming they didn't remove it to make room for more Star Wars. But I doubt they'll ever release it, and there's nothing we can do about that. While some of the old LucasArts programmers have spoken favorably of ScummVM, LucasArts as a company have never been fans of our little project. In fact, they tried to shut us down once, about five years ago.
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

8) Gee...we must show to everybody that ideas (good storylines) works better than DirectX10 effects and with ScummVM every adventure may be played almoston every modern device.

Let's start to choose AGS or Scumm compiler and begin to work on artworks and storyline!

We may craft something special ! :wink:
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

rivadolmo wrote:8) Gee...we must show to everybody that ideas (good storylines) works better than DirectX10 effects and with ScummVM every adventure may be played almoston every modern device.
i concur, lucasarts needs to get back to there roots and stop developing crap like Indiana Jones and star wars Lego games
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

rivadolmo wrote:8) Gee...we must show to everybody that ideas (good storylines) works better than DirectX10 effects and with ScummVM every adventure may be played almoston every modern device.

Let's start to choose AGS or Scumm compiler and begin to work on artworks and storyline!

We may craft something special ! :wink:
I agree, but I would not choose AGS because there aren't an open-source interpreter of it. I don't understand the reason of the AGS developer, but he's obssesive with not opening the source code because some weird reasons that are senseless to me.

Official AGS interpreter uses the forgotten Allegro library, so even if being open that can be a problem with porting to certain platforms too.

I don't know of any AGS open-source implementation available, but maybe there are something out there.

See the AGS faq http://new.bigbluecup.com/acfaq.htm
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

:(
So if AGS isn't the best choice is the ScummC the only tool to use to?

Any other idea? :idea:

I'm not afraid about coding, so let's consider even the worst user-friendly tool.

It's very important to start with the correct tool.

I'm looking for your help.

Thank you
clem

Post by clem »

rivadolmo wrote:I'm not afraid about coding, so let's consider even the worst user-friendly tool.
In that case I'd suggest starting from scratch :-]
SDL+some scripting engine should do the trick