Hopkins FBI

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ferdian

Hopkins FBI

Post by Ferdian »

I'd like to know if this game 'Hopkins FBI' could be supported.

http://www.hopkinsfbi.com/hopkins.htm

Would be nice to see it running on ScummVM.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Short answer: probably not

Long answer: Check here:
http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#AEN76
Ferdian

Post by Ferdian »

I already read thru it. Sigh! :(

2.3. Will ScummVM support other games?

The ScummVM team is currently focusing on bugfixes for our next release.

We do NOT generally add support for non-SCUMM games! Reverse engineering a completely new game without source is a long process, and our developers are all very busy as it is... so unless you work for a company interested in providing us with source code for one of your classic titles, please do not ask.
JDAdams

Post by JDAdams »

Hopkins FBI is apparently a very, VERY bad game - I remember it only for it's 10% score in a PCZone review.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JDAdams wrote:Hopkins FBI is apparently a very, VERY bad game - I remember it only for it's 10% score in a PCZone review.
The reviews I've seen have been mixed, though not as hostile as that one must have been. I've only tried the demo myself, and found the violence to be a bit much for my taste.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

JDAdams wrote:Hopkins FBI is apparently a very, VERY bad game - I remember it only for it's 10% score in a PCZone review.
but getting a bad review can never be a criteria for not supporting a specific game..
JDAdams

Post by JDAdams »

SuperDre wrote:
but getting a bad review can never be a criteria for not supporting a specific game..
Course it can - if there are better games they should obviously be looked at first. Anyway, I made a mistake - it was 4%. That review isn't online but here's one in much the same vein:

http://www.richardcobbett.co.uk/codex/j ... pkins_fbi/
Ferdian

Post by Ferdian »

Well kinda like the intro music in that game "I Can't Control Myself" by The Troggs .

Well the game is not really that..that..that bad. :(
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

It seems that the linux version has different files than the Windows version, so that would mean that it needs to support 2 versions, and I guess that could be a 'problem'... (ofcourse apart from the fact that one needs to reverse engineer the whole game)..
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

The Order links on the game's home page don't even seem to work anymore. Is it legally available at all?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Jorpho wrote:The Order links on the game's home page don't even seem to work anymore. Is it legally available at all?
probably somewhere in a nior film, but then weather its legal or not is disputable

and by that i meen some sneaky looking guy of ebay
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jorpho wrote:The Order links on the game's home page don't even seem to work anymore. Is it legally available at all?
I don't know. The Linux version has been marked as "Discontinued" on Tux Games for quite some time. There are a few copies of the Windows version on eBay, though.
dr.zeissler

Post by dr.zeissler »

hopkins fbi is one of my favorit linux-games and since i changed over to mac-platform i can't play it anymore. i highly recommand the game, because it is quite fantastic, though it has some scary parts (rating mature) but it has also an fantastic atmosphere and excellent and very detailed backgrounds. i don't knwo if there are differences between the win- and the lin-version, but as i remember the lin-version works with sdl and that is supportet by scumm.

in my opinion the scumm-vm team will get the support if they asked for without paying any money, but that is only speculation.

dear scummvm-team please contact the disributor.

a german linuxdistributor sells the linux-copy's and he has still enough to be sold.

a short answer expected and sorry for my bad english but i think you have understand what i have said.

thx
doc
dr.zeissler

Post by dr.zeissler »

update:
Hi. Yeah, we released the OS/2 version and had purchased the rights to the Macintosh version which we were going to port the game to Macintosh years ago (Mac OS 8), but at the time there was not much of a market for the game on the platform, so it was shelved. We had it running under Mac OS 8 or so under PPC with game sprockets, but I would have to dig around to find the code. It would probably only take a short while to convert the port to Mac OS X, but I am afraid there may be no one interested in purchasing the game.

The link is correct, I am not sure mp-entertainment is still in business, we made a payment upfront to mp-entertainment for the rights as well as a royalty should any profit be realized from the Mac sales. (We also released the game for BeOS).

The game does not use the Scumm engine, but is more hand-coded in C++, it would have to be re-written for SCUMM.

Regards,
Adam
if there are enough people who would buy the mac-os/x version, then a scummvm support will not be needed, but if the game is supported by scumm it will be sold even better than a mac-os version only.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

We already explained our stance on adding support for this game -- please read the *full* thread. Short version: It won't happen.