Will the GUI ever be seriously improved?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Will the GUI ever be seriously improved?

Post by marzipan »

Testing 0.10.0 extensively now on my DC, I have to ask the following questions:

1) Why is icon support still restricted to 32x32 16 colours after all this time? The default S icons the menu uses look more like 256 colours to me, and therefore threw me off course into thinking it allowed more colours, meaning I wasted my time making lots of little icons for the games on the CD. :( And it certainly didn't accept thanius' recent new game icons.
2) Why does the menu get corrupt towards the bottom? Is it to do with having lots of games on a CD? This menu corruption happens even with DCEvo's demos collection.
3) Why does it have such a simple menu anyway, when virtually every other port I've seen in action (DS, Windows, PSP, Gamecube, Xbox et al) all use the official GUI?

I spent a lot of time carefully crafting together my own personal ScummVM Dreamcast collection, with lots of games on each CD, and again I feel like I'm wasting my time doing such a project when faced with these sorts of problems on a port.

I'm sorry if I sound like an ungrateful prick here, but I can't help but feel frustrated. I've gone on and off this port various times in the past - I feel the only things about it I can say I really enjoy is the virtual keyboard and the built-in MP3 support.
DCDayDreamer

Re: Will the GUI ever be seriously improved?

Post by DCDayDreamer »

marzipan wrote:This menu corruption happens even with DCEvo's demos collection.
There's no CD image on the site like that, I've noticed if you have 15 or more entries in the menu it does get corrupted on the Dreamcast though.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
marzipan wrote:This menu corruption happens even with DCEvo's demos collection.
There's no CD image on the site like that, I've noticed if you have 15 or more entries in the menu it does get corrupted on the Dreamcast though.
Strange, I thought I saw it happen one time with the demos collection...

But yes, it's a very problematic thing that it can't handle so many menu entries....... is it really down to the DC's limited memory???
DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

marzipan wrote:Strange, I thought I saw it happen one time with the demos collection...

But yes, it's a very problematic thing that it can't handle so many menu entries....... is it really down to the DC's limited memory???
We had an old collection CD image with 19 demos on the site for a while, the last entry in the menu didn't display (you could highlight it and select it though), maybe that's the CD image you're thinking about?.

I can't see how it's to do with the DC's limited memory, it's only a displayed list of games so it shouldn't really be a problem because no game data is loaded, maybe the icons (or multiple entries for the same icons) are causing the corruption?.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Probably, but then none of us will know since it seems the author of the port doesn't even bother to look at this forum nowadays. :(
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

marzipan wrote:Probably, but then none of us will know since it seems the author of the port doesn't even bother to look at this forum nowadays. :(
And that's exactly the reason why it is clearly stated in our forum rules, that forums are not suitable place for such bugreports.

We do not require ScummVM Team members to read the forums, but they all definitely watch our bug tracker. So, please, describe this problem there. In fact here are 2 things: (1) Feature request to move DC port to our common GUI (2) Bugreport about flawed game list scrolling in current DC GUI.

Eugene