What are people's thoughts on the best port?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Smothermunchie

What are people's thoughts on the best port?

Post by Smothermunchie »

Hey guys.

So yeah, I'm looking into buying either a PSP or GP32x and was hoping for some honest feedback as to what would be the better system to purchase.

The GP32x looks really awesome for Scumm but no one seems to post any real feedback. Even on the GP32x homebrew sites, the forums seem to always be dead.

Thanks.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The ScummVM GP32 port is not properly maintainer anymore, it seems. In fact if you look at our downloads page, there is one thing you won't see: A GP32 download.

Hence, if your goal is to use ScummVM, then a PSP has the nice advantage over a GP32 that ScummVM actually is supported on it ;). The drawback is that on the PSP you probably need some extra hardware, plus you have to watch out for firmware updates (and *not* install them unless you are sure what you are doing). I recommend you do some reading up on the PSP port before (potentially) wasting money.
clem

which device?

Post by clem »

you should not confuse the GP32 (unsupported, 5yr old hardware with 8mb ram) with the GP2X (supported, if I look at the downloads page) :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, he was asking about the GP32x -- so it's completly ambigious as to whether he meant the GP32 or the GP2x...
clem

Post by clem »

fingolfin wrote:Well, he was asking about the GP32x -- so it's completly ambigious as to whether he meant the GP32 or the GP2x...
my reply was meant as an answer primarily to Smothermunchie
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

I own a GP2X and would not be without it. It's a great little system for anyone who grew up during the 8-bit era, and it doubles as a fairly good portable media player. If you prefer the games of the NES, SNES, Genesis (MegaDrive) or Master System over current games, the GP2X could be for you (do read on, though!).

However, most GP2X owners own several portable consoles and we'll honestly answer people who ask if the GP2X is for them, based on their preferences. Not only does it make the user happier to have a console that's right for him, it also saves the forum communities of the "competing" consoles the grief sometimes caused by people choosing a console that wasn't right for them and complaining about it.

The key to choosing the platform that is right for you, is of course thorough research into the strengths and weaknesses of each platform. To summarize some strong and weak points of the GP2X and the PSP:

Both platforms have official ScummVM ports. However to run ScummVM (or any other homebrew apps) on a PSP you need to hack the firmware, and if it's not done correctly you run the risk of bricking your unit. As the GP2X is an open platform intended for homebrew development (and thus has almost NO commercial developers attached to it), it doesn't require modification to run ScummVM or other homebrew apps. On the off change that you might render a GP2X inoperable with a failed firmware upgrade, you can unbrick it with the cradle accessory.

The PSP uses expensive proprietary Sony memory cards, while the GP2X uses standard SD cards which are cheap and plentiful.

The GP2X has a 4:3 320x240 screen which is well suited to retrogaming. It's also very crisp (at least in Mk2 and later units) and doesn't exhibit ghosting/tearing when scrolling. Many PSP users complain that the PSP's screen exhibits severe ghosting and it's also 16:9 with a non-standard pixel count forcing most 4:3 programs to scale their output.

The PSP has a D-pad while the GP2X has a digital joystick. Many GP2X users feel that the joystick is one of the weaker points of the platform and some exchange it for a D-pad by modifying their units.

The PSP has the advantage of support from many game publishers, giving you a wide selection of current games. The GP2X is largely based around open source, thus limiting your selection to homebrew games and whatever you can emulate (which spans most computers, consoles and arcades from the early 80's to the mid 90's).

The GP2X is an USB (1.1) host which means you can use the cradle or another USB host adaptor to use the GP2X as a computer with mice, keyboards, joypads, USB HDDs and so on. With the cradle, you also get TV-out which means you can hook up a couple of joypads and play your games on the TV, giving you a very portable living-room retro console in the same deal.

Also, if you're hesitant because you want current commercial games, but you don't want to risk bricking a unit in order to run ScummVM or other homebrew, there's always the DS Lite. It doesn't require firwmare modification, all it takes is a Flash cart which in turn takes SD or mini/microSD cards for storage, while still offering a large selection of current games. However the DS suffers somewhat from a smaller-resolution screen but has the advantage of a pen input which is good for ScummVM, plus built-in WiFi connectivity. It's also much cheaper than the PSP and possibly cheaper than the GP2X.

I hope this will help you choose a portable console that is right for you.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

very nice post cappuchok
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Yeah, awesome post there, cappuchok!

I think the one, main selling factor was the 320x240 screen which is the perfect size to run my old Scumm games.

I guess the only thing left needed is if someone could provide a good link to purchase this. I live in Michigan by the way in case that matters.

Hopefully someone can post a place for me to buy this quickly before I do something really stupid and my wife no longer feels that I deserve to purchase something special for myself anymore. I give myself 1 day at most before I upset her again. :lol:

I just wish that more people would post on the GP32x (or whatever version is the newest or best one) forums. Half of the joy of owning something new is reading other people's posts like cappuchok and not just buying a product strictly for it's features.

So help a fellow brother out as to where I can order a GP 32x or 2x or whatever thingie while I have this small window of opportunity to get one. :)

Thanks.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

First: I like the GP2X, it's great to have a portable console that is specifically targeted at homebrew.

However, with modified firmwares the PSP does better imho. I flashed my and other PSPs several times. Unless you are doing something really stupid (like downloading the firmware of obscure sites or turning off the PSP while flashing) the risk of bricking is very slim.

The PSP ScummVM port has several advantages. First the screen of 480x272 is sufficient for all older Scumm games but also helps in Curse of Monkey Island which btw plays nicely while it isn't even supported on the DS (same for The Dig and Full Throttle). Don't know about the GP2X here, are all games supported?

The memsticks are a bit more expensive than SD cards but then again the PSP should be cheaper itself and it is a one-time investment, especially considering that prices have really come down for them.

I also like controlling the cursor with the analogue stick as opposed to d-pads.

Then there is the perfect PSOne emulator in the PSP plus all the others.

I really don't want to drag down the GP2X it's just that I feel the PSP is a better deal, especially for ScummVM. Have fun with whatever your decision may be!
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

Smothermunchie wrote:I guess the only thing left needed is if someone could provide a good link to purchase this. I live in Michigan by the way in case that matters.
A list of resellers is here.
You should probably choose a reseller in the US if you can.

Also, Bobbin makes many good points in his post. I'll just correct a few things and answer his questions while I'm at it. The GP2X has a stick, not a D-pad, though it's digital so it's a sort of in-between solution. ScummVM port compatibility is listed on the wiki, not all games are currently supported. I think I've read that the GP2X port of ScummVM can run COMI, although it's probably painfully slow because it has to downscale it from VGA to QVGA. Unfortunately, the GP2X won't likely ever be able to run PSOne full speed, but most platforms older than the PSOne run fine or will be able to run fine once the emulators are optimized properly using both CPU cores where possible.

Where I live, the price tags of the GP2X and PSP are almost the same now (checking right now) but when I last compared them a few months back as I were about to buy one of the units, the PSP was almost 50% more expensive. In some markets I'm sure the PSP is cheaper than the GP2X.
Cricri

Post by Cricri »

How about a Pocket PC? You can get a decent second hand one for the price of the PSP, it has a touchscreen (which is ideal for adventure games), and it does a lot more too.
And if you get a PSP, you'll need to hack the firmware to run homebrew anyway.