Broken Sword Help

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

OnionGravy

Broken Sword Help

Post by OnionGravy »

Just attempting to get Broken Sword working on Scumm. I should mention I am using a Mac.

So I have put the cd in and I am putting all the right files into a new folder. Only problem is some of the files named on the wikipedia site are not on this cd. I should also mention I have the 'SoldOut' version of BS. Could that be a problem?

I am just wondering what I need to do now to retrieve these files, and to get BS working.

Edit:
I am looking for the *.clu, swordres.rif, speech.clu files.

Also tried putting cd2 in to get files from that but my Mac ejects it after 30 seconds.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword Help

Post by eriktorbjorn »

OnionGravy wrote:Just attempting to get Broken Sword working on Scumm. I should mention I am using a Mac.
Just to be clear, do you mean Broken Sword 1 or Broken Sword 2?
OnionGravy

Post by OnionGravy »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
OnionGravy wrote:Just attempting to get Broken Sword working on Scumm. I should mention I am using a Mac.
Just to be clear, do you mean Broken Sword 1 or Broken Sword 2?
Sorry! I meant Broken Sword 1.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I could be wrong, but from memory I think the files you're looking for are compressed in the Windows installer files.

As for the CD not being read, do the usual .... wipe the CD, try another computer / CD drive etc.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jimbob wrote:I could be wrong, but from memory I think the files you're looking for are compressed in the Windows installer files.
Maybe the newish Broken Sword 1 and 2 double pack, but not for the individual releases, I think.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Jimbob wrote:I could be wrong, but from memory I think the files you're looking for are compressed in the Windows installer files.
Maybe the newish Broken Sword 1 and 2 double pack, but not for the individual releases, I think.
Yeah, I read it wrong ... doh!!

Apologies
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

OnionGravy wrote: I am looking for the *.clu, swordres.rif, speech.clu files.
On my CD, the *.clu (compacts.clu, general.clu, etc.) and swordres.rif files are in a folder named CLUSTERS. The speech.clu file is in a folder named SPEECH, and of course you'll need the files from the MUSIC folder as well.

The filenames are all upper-case, but that doesn't matter.
OnionGravy

Post by OnionGravy »

Okay, just checked my cd then, and the file named CLUSTERS has nothing in it at all :cry:, same with the MUSIC folder and SPEECH folder too.

Just recently my brother has come home with his PC, so I can use the PC to find the files, although I have not worked one in over 5 years so I am pretty clueless. So how can I get the files from BS on the PC?

This is really appreciated guys.

Edit: Okay, found a way to get the files, basically I have to search seperately for each file, but when it came to the *.clu I couldnt find it, I typed in general.clu and it came up, so what other files are .clu that I need??

Another Edit:
Just managed to find a list of all the seperate .clu files I needed and everything works now :D yay! I know this part is really picky, but for the video sequences it has the BS 2's intro instead of the BS 1 intro (which really gets me in the mood for the game, simply amazing). Any ideas on how to solve this?

And Another Edit:
Re-downloaded the vidoes and they work perfectly at the start now, only after the intro sequence has finished it is asking me for disc 1. I didnt think I needed discs to run it, but I put disc 1 in any way and it still didnt work. Am I missing a file?

As far as I know I have all the right files.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

From what I remember of the code, when it starts the game will look for the game files and if it can only finds the files from the first CD and not the clusters files from the second CD it thinks it is running the game from the CD and not the HDD, and therefore will ask you to insert the CD. Are you sure you have copied the files from both CDs?
The files from the second CD are named ireland.clu, scotland.clu, spain.clu, syria.clu, train.clu.
OnionGravy

Post by OnionGravy »

criezy wrote:From what I remember of the code, when it starts the game will look for the game files and if it can only finds the files from the first CD and not the clusters files from the second CD it thinks it is running the game from the CD and not the HDD, and therefore will ask you to insert the CD. Are you sure you have copied the files from both CDs?
The files from the second CD are named ireland.clu, scotland.clu, spain.clu, syria.clu, train.clu.
Oh dear, good save! I didnt get those files from the 2nd cd! Thanks a lot :D