Nokia N95

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rusmiley

Nokia N95

Post by rusmiley »

Hi,

I've tried both svn builds and the release build on my N95 but whenever I press "Start" on a game the ScummVM just quits back to the applications menu.

Any ideas?

(I used to have ScummVM on my old N70 and it worked great... I'm trying to run the Monkey games)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Miles.
rusmiley

Post by rusmiley »

Happy to do some tests if anyone can think of anything!?

It's hard to know what to do because it just bugs out without any error message or anything. It's very frustrating.

Any help welcome!
calavera999

Post by calavera999 »

Strange, i have used two recent versions of scummvm on my N95 and both had no problems like that, what game is it your playing? i know that the broken swords and monkey island 3 have troubles starting due to lack of memory.
calavera999

Post by calavera999 »

Full throttle also brings up strange problems on the N95.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

N95 has very little memory left when started. And a game like FT is using up to 21 mb when running. So intro would work, but in game would cause problems.
rusmiley

Post by rusmiley »

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried MONKEY1 and MONKEY2 so far andboth just pack up straight away! Maybe I could try some others, just have to dig them out. I;ve got Goblins 2 & 3 somewhere.
rusmiley

Post by rusmiley »

FExplorer says I have 18736kB of mem free. Surely that's enough to run the MONKEY games?

I;ve tried installing on phone memory and memory card, no difference there.

It seems to quit pretty quick, screen goes blank for about 1 second and then it returns to the applications menu without any error or message. Nothing is left running.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

rusmiley, are you sure you aren't confusing storage memory (i.e. disk space where the programs are stored when they're not in use) and RAM memory (the one programs get loaded into)? [Damnable English technical language, in russian we have separate comfortable words to denote each of those memory types.]
rusmiley

Post by rusmiley »

Nope. There's 97Mb free of the internal storage memory. 18Mb of RAM.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

18 mb should be enough for MK1, MK2 etc. FT will have problems (and other more advanced games). FT will be using 23-28 mb when up and running.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

THe other reason might be corrupt game data. Try copying the data files from your originals again.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Anotherguest wrote:THe other reason might be corrupt game data. Try copying the data files from your originals again.
Well, this will be easy to check. If it is a corrupted file, then it should crash on Windows ScummVM as well.

Eugene
rusmiley

Post by rusmiley »

Thanks anotherguest! I didn't consider that both games could be corrupt, but on your advise I dug out my Monkey CDs and hey presto...

Thanks! Problem solved.

Also found my FOTAQ CD, that won't run. How much memory do you think that requires?

Miles.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Try the FOTAQ from the ScummVM DL pages. That will work, and memory is probably not an issue.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Anotherguest wrote:Try the FOTAQ from the ScummVM DL pages. That will work, and memory is probably not an issue.
Ain't necessarily so.
My problem list includes FOTAQ taken from the ScummVM site, and while SwissMP shows that I have 20 megs of RAM free, the game still won't work.