New release! ScummVM 0.X.0: "Tic-tac-toe edition"

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fabio wrote: The last thing: what's the point in supporting .clf (FLAC) speech in BS2, if, as stated in README in scummvm-tools, FLAC files are bigger than original (already compressed) speech?
Obviously, it was my attempt to keep people from asking "Why don't you support FLAC?" :twisted:
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
fabio wrote: The last thing: what's the point in supporting .clf (FLAC) speech in BS2, if, as stated in README in scummvm-tools, FLAC files are bigger than original (already compressed) speech?
Obviously, it was my attempt to keep people from asking "Why don't you support FLAC?" :twisted:
And yet no-one's asked that regarding BS1? :P
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

marzipan wrote: And yet no-one's asked that regarding BS1? :P
Yes they did.
fabio

Post by fabio »

marzipan wrote:
eriktorbjorn wrote:
And yet no-one's asked that regarding BS1? :P
Seems that also in .san and .bun files flac compression is not supported. Is this because even these are already compressed?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The more I hear people asking why we don't support FLAC for this or that, the more I wish we never had added it, and the urge to just rip out the code rises... Especially considering how terribly bad the FLAC folks are supporting 3rd party developers -- each new release makes incompatible API changes, so it's one hell of a time to stay compatible. Considering the IMO tiny gain, this seems to be a really bad way to spend our sparse resources...
clem

Post by clem »

fingolfin wrote:The more I hear people asking why we don't support FLAC for this or that, the more I wish we never had added it, and the urge to just rip out the code rises... Especially considering how terribly bad the FLAC folks are supporting 3rd party developers -- each new release makes incompatible API changes, so it's one hell of a time to stay compatible. Considering the IMO tiny gain, this seems to be a really bad way to spend our sparse resources...
maybe add a helpful line to the command line help for the tools? I have the hope that people who use the command line to compress datafiles would read that... e.g.: "FLAC compression isn't supported because..." or something

clem
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

IMHO, Flac support should be limited to CD tracks. Re-encoding compressed music/speech in a lossless format is totally pointless. So pointless that it makes me smile while writing this :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Just to clarify what I wrote: I do *not* actually propose to drop FLAC support, don't worry. I just am annoyed by two things: (a) the FLAC API changing heavily between releases, making life harder for us devs, and (b) people asking why they can't recompress already compressed data to a lossless format *sigh* :-)
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

The Mass Add... button added sword1-1 and sword2-1 as well as sword1 and sword2. What the heck?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

iPwnzorz wrote:The Mass Add... button added sword1-1 and sword2-1 as well as sword1 and sword2. What the heck?
I haven't experimented with the Mass Add feature, and I couldn't reproduce it. But I guess it means that either you already had sword1 and sword2 targets, or the detector found the games twice.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

I haven't experimented with the Mass Add feature, and I couldn't reproduce it. But I guess it means that either you already had sword1 and sword2 targets, or the detector found the games twice.
I had a similar thing: I think it stems from keeping all the .clu files in the "clusters" directory. That way, when you mass add, it adds both sword1/ and sword1/clusters/. I'll re-check sometime this week and submit a bug report if necc (unless someone beats me to it :-)
fabio

Post by fabio »

fingolfin wrote:(b) people asking why they can't recompress already compressed data to a lossless format *sigh* :-)
Well, obsiviously make no sense to support FLAC where music is already compressed AND FLAC compressed file is bigger; in that case FLAC support should be removed (BS2) and the tools should be updated to print why FLAC is not supported (so nobody will never ask the same thing again).
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

fabio wrote:
fingolfin wrote:(b) people asking why they can't recompress already compressed data to a lossless format *sigh* :-)
Well, obsiviously make no sense to support FLAC where music is already compressed AND FLAC compressed file is bigger; in that case FLAC support should be removed (BS2) and the tools should be updated to print why FLAC is not supported (so nobody will never ask the same thing again).
But that would imply people actually reading the docs and/or FAQ, which they don't ... kind of of a Catch-22
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
iPwnzorz wrote:The Mass Add... button added sword1-1 and sword2-1 as well as sword1 and sword2. What the heck?
No, I was testing it (I wanted to see what it could do) and I removed all the games first.
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

- My copy of Gold Rush! shows up as AGI Fanmade Game. Then SCUMM crashes. all my other games work fine. and of course...that's the main game i'm trying to play.

- In Police Quest, my F1-F12 keys don't work right. In PQ, you need to have the F6, F8, and F11 (i think??) keys to perform certain functions (Siren, Drive Faster, etc)...and they don't work with my keyboard (Microsoft Natural Ergonomic KB 4000). All they do is type in characters.