Why not to join Simon1 talkie and subtitled versions?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Romla

Why not to join Simon1 talkie and subtitled versions?

Post by Romla »

There are two main versions of Simon the Sorcerer 1: talkie and subtitled. But everyone wants speech and subtitles in one game. If there is not enough subtitles in talkie version, why not to copy them from text version. Or why not to add sound files from talkie version to the text version? Problem is you must alter some other game files to get it going - I'm not able to do it, but I think it didn't have be impossible. I would be very grateful to the one who can do it for us...
clem

Post by clem »

I think that has been suggested before, but...

- you'd need to own both disk and CD versions to legally do that
- it's a lot of work, and I doubt anyone who can do it is THAT interested in doing it
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

When subtitles are displayed via scripts, a specific string id is used, to select the correct subtitles.

In the English/German versions of Simon the Sorcerer 1 CD. the string ids in the scripts and the actual subtitles were removed for many scenes.

So it would be very difficult to add the missing subtitles back. Since the scripts would need to be edited, along with adding the actual missing subtitles.

And even if you did all that work, I wouldn't be surprised if there were code differences in the scripts, to handle timing differences with combined speech and subtitles too.
Romla

Post by Romla »

It is a pity - it seems it is really too much work with uncertain result. The portion of removed subtitles is very large? I mean, if there are subtitles remaining in the talkie version it's not worth it to enable at least those subtitles in the game? I think there was this function in a previous version of ScummVM, but it was removed...
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

It was removed because the subtitles don't match the dialogues. As I recall it, some words are different, some lines are changed or even absent.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kaminari wrote:It was removed because the subtitles don't match the dialogues. As I recall it, some words are different, some lines are changed or even absent.
I don't remember any combined speech/subtitles in Simon 1, though I could be wrong about that. Maybe you're thinking about Simon 2?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

You're making me doubt, Erik. I know both games in their talkie version have some form of issue with the subtitles, but I always mix them up :p
Romla

Post by Romla »

There's no problem in Simon 2, I've finnished entire game with subtitles and speech on - even without ScummVM.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Romla wrote:There's no problem in Simon 2, I've finnished entire game with subtitles and speech on - even without ScummVM.
Can't have been the English version, then. That one didn't have combined speech and subtitles originally.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Romla wrote:There's no problem in Simon 2, I've finnished entire game with subtitles and speech on - even without ScummVM.
Only the original Hebrew version of Simon the Sorcerer 2 offered combined speech and subtitles.
Romla

Post by Romla »

I think it is Czech version - English speech and Czech subtitles. I'm not sure if there were also English subtitles, but maybe not.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Only the original Hebrew version of Simon the Sorcerer 2 offered combined speech and subtitles.
That's not correct at all; also the italian versions of Simon 1&2 offer combined speech (eng) and subtitles (ita).
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Romla wrote:I think it is Czech version - English speech and Czech subtitles. I'm not sure if there were also English subtitles, but maybe not.
Looking over disassembly of original Czech version of Simon the Sorcerer 2, it only offered a choice of speech only or subtitles only.
Glorfindel wrote: That's not correct at all; also the italian versions of Simon 1&2 offer combined speech (eng) and subtitles (ita).
I was referring to only Simon the Sorcerer 2 in my previous message.

The original Multi-Lingual (French/Hebrew/Italian/Spanish) version of Simon the Sorcerer 1 (CD) offered combined subtitles and speech too.

Are you sure the original Italian version of Simon the Sorcerer 2 offered combined speech and subtitles? if so, could you please send the original executable file.

As different code was used to handle combined speech and subtitles in original version of Simon the Sorcerer 2, which we currently only apply to the Hebrew version under ScummVM.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

My version of Simon1 doesn't seem the multilanguage one (ie when I choose English as language a message appears "No valid games were found in the specified directory")
I have the combined Simon1&2 italian pack, and yes, checked again, there are definitively speech+subtitles in Simon 2 (also in the 1st instalment if it could be useful).
Here is the link to Simon2 executables (dos+win):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x639dx
Laskov

Post by Laskov »

same problem with me version

Old config for this game as working with old scummvm not with 0.9.1 :(