ScummVm 0.10.0 at 333mhz?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

notto

ScummVm 0.10.0 at 333mhz?

Post by notto »

hi, sorry for my english but i am italian...Thanks for this good emulator, only one question: is in program one release of the 0.10.0 compiled to run at 333mhz?
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

Ive never even tried any of the 333mhz builds, so I would be interested in a 333mhz build also. If this one isnt, I'm at work so cant test it.
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

The standard builds found in the downloads page are 222mhz I believe. If you ask Joostp (who maintains the psp port) nicely he does put 333mhz builds in the forums for users to test on occasion.

Been playing around with it for a few hours and some observations on the new games I've tested, Fifth Musketeer runs a tad slow, gobliins 2 and 3 CD versions will struggle if you have the audio file (encoded into mp3 in this particular instance), should you remove it the game plays much better albeit at the expense of losing the sounds in the audio file. Goblins 3 froze up whilst attempting to hit the golf ball on the first screen, though I've not yet attempted to recreate the bug. I only have the CD versions and not the DOS versions so can't test on those.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

While a 333mhz version can be built quite easily, I'd rather have people report where slowdown occurs in which games (on the bug tracker), so that these bottlenecks can be addressed instead of working around the problem by simply cranking up the clock speed.

I feel that any game that ScummVM supports should be able to run fine at 222mhz, the ones that don't "just" require some optimization, which in turn can only be done if we're aware of problematic areas so we can improve them.

As for the other issues; when I've tested gob3 (don't remember which version) I didn't experience this lockup. You'd best file a bug report for this issue.
Same goes for the audio problem, but please check and see if encoding the audio with vorbis makes a difference first.
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Thats fair enough, Joostp. The Goblins 3 CD version bug seems to arise everytime it attempts to play the speech part with the goblin in the little bubble (I also converted the wav to ogg instead of mp3, which helped performance but didn't eliminate the crash).

I've not yet tested it on the PC build, but I'll do that before I write a bug report on it.
notto

Post by notto »

my problem regards monkey island 3, has compressed the audio for a memory stick 1 gb, but the game at 222mhz is not very good. Currently I use a recompiled version of the 0.9.1 that i have found in the forum, but it would make it appeal to me very to use the 0.10.0 at 333… if you make this...thanks Joostp!
Mr Smurf

Post by Mr Smurf »

As joostp says, at the current time it's best that you run the games at 222mhz, this way if something goes wrong with the game, such as complete stalls or a malfunctioning game, he'd know if it was the game and not the frequency it's running at.

You'd also have to realise if you sent a bug report for a game, running at 333mhz and you haven't stated that, it could affect the PSP project as a whole.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

A pity the PSP doesn't use an ARM processor, else it would nicely benefit from the ARM asm version of some of the SCUMM SMUSH video code (relevant for Dig, FT, COMI) and also the sound mixer asm code.

Although I am not sure even a R4000 MIPS version of the code would help, as I have no idea whether those parts of the code are a bottleneck on the PSP anyway. Maybe optimized version of the audio decompression code would help more. Does the PSP port use Tremor?
Robert de Clair

Post by Robert de Clair »

I think there should be in options a possibility of change clock 222/266/333 like in other emulators.

I have problem with Amiga version of Elvira and Elvira 2
possible cause - too low power to play tracker mod's and rest of game :)
Strange - a music is playing almost perfectly but a game working horrible slowly :) a much better Elvira/Elvira 2 are emulated by PSPUae ;) than in ScummVM

ofcourse a PC version of Elvira working smoothly so i can play with adlib/sb music ;) but with 333 should be better
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, do repeat it once more: You can only up to 333 Mhz once. If stuff is still too slow, you can't go to 444 Mhz or something like that. In addition, you drain up your battery faster, heat up the device and risk other problems.

In computer science it is *always* preferable to take a step back and solve the *cause* of a problem (in this case that means optimizing the code or using better algorithms) than to just throw more processing power at it. The latter should usually be the last resort.

So, if Elvira is too slow for you, and if indeed the MOD code is responsible for this, the first thing I would look into is how to improve the MOD code. The last thing I'd consider would be a 333 Mhz build
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Not trying to barge in with my 5 cents, but PSP was actually made to run on 333mhz cpu.

It was down clocked by Sony, because it drained battery faster - yet they decided to unlock this speed in their newest official 3.50 firmware for the developers of new games to use (i.e. God Of War: Chain of Olympus is announced to run at 333mhz).

It doesn't really overheat or create problems but it indeed drains battery faster.

As much as I'd love to have the 266mhz version fixed, it would be really nice to have a temporary fix for now. Games like Touche, Curse of Monkey Island or the before mentioned Elvira would really benefit in running faster and smooth.

Whatever you decide to do, I want you to know I am grateful for what you have already done and accomplished for all of us.

Best regards to all the SCUMMVM devs.

Post by Avatar76 »

Yes I understand it will drain battery faster but in order to get games which were designed to run on 133Mhz computers like Curse Of Monkey Island, I really think it needs 333Mhz to take up the slack. Following the usual rule of thumb regarding emulation you need something 3 times more powerful then what it is you're emulating.
I guess this doesn't flow quite the same with Scumm because it's not a true hardware emulation. I've just tried running COMI with no compression and it doesn't have a patch on the 333Mhz 0.9 version that joostp released.
The only thing is the 0.9 version doesn't have the fixed SAN animation which has been put into 0.10. You don't have to go far in the 222Mhz version of ScummVM PSP running COMI to see the problems we're all asking for a 333Mhz version because of.
Further to my argument as to why we shouldn't feel ashamed at running things at 333Mhz, Sony themselves have recently started allowing devs to use the 333Mhz clock speed in their games.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Actually, my experience with emulation is that you usually need more like 10 times the power to emulate a system at good speeds, at least.

Luckily, ScummVM is not an emulator. So in theory, it should be possible to get it to work just fine on a 222Mhz PSP. It's mostly a matter of fine tuning, made difficult by the fact that we have to support many platforms, and hence can not tune everything towards a single specific device.
keats

Post by keats »

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to both PSP and scummvm ( joy! good times ahead :D ), but what about the bios option to turn force 333 MHz mode on some PSP firmwares? Does that affect performance, will the regular build not work properly if you force 333 MHz or will it set the clockspeed back to 222 MHz for scummvm ?

Post by Avatar76 »

You'll find that the 333mhz option in your modded firmware does very little. I tried it myself and it made no difference, the eboot sets the clock speed when scummVM launches from the game menu as best I can work out.
I've logged COMI as a fault for the PSP port of ScummVM, I see Joostp has been assigned the job. If everyone can do as Joostp has requested and log any speed issues with the PSP version of ScummVM it probably can be optimised to better perform on the PSP hardware. I still must admit though I'm impressed by the 333mhz version of scummVM that Joostp did for one of the previous releases. I used it to play through COMI and now have gone back to version 10 again. COMI is about the only game I get any stuttering / slowness with.