Broken sword 1 und 2 smacker videos - Recoding in DXA possib

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

FeebleFiles1

Broken sword 1 und 2 smacker videos - Recoding in DXA possib

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

Hello,

is it possible to encode the smacker videos of brocken sword also into dxa as in the feeble files?

The quality is higher then the quality of the mpeg 2 videos

regards
clem

Post by clem »

more than that, you can even download them from sf.net downloads page for quite some time now...

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=37116

clem
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote:more than that, you can even download them from sf.net downloads page for quite some time now...
It should be pointed out, though, that you will need the development version of ScummVM to play them. ScummVM 0.9.x does not support DXA movies for the Broken Sword games.
clem

Re: Broken sword 1 und 2 smacker videos - Recoding in DXA po

Post by clem »

FeebleFiles1 wrote: The quality is higher then the quality of the mpeg 2 videos
that I have to doubt though...

it seems to me that the video quality of the mpeg cutscenes is - sadly - on par with the original smacker quality
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

If I remember correctly some times ago in the irc channel one of the developer said he has the original BS1 cutscenes in .flc format (which were included in the source code, I think, and were without compression artifacts)
If they are still avaliable and if Revolution permit, it would be possible to encode them in DXA and put them online (so we can get the max quality)?
clem

Post by clem »

Glorfindel wrote:If I remember correctly some times ago in the irc channel one of the developer said he has the original BS1 cutscenes in .flc format (which were included in the source code, I think, and were without compression artifacts)
If they are still avaliable and if Revolution permit, it would be possible to encode them in DXA and put them online (so we can get the max quality)?
as far as I remember these were in lower resolution, though
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken sword 1 und 2 smacker videos - Recoding in DXA po

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote: that I have to doubt though...

it seems to me that the video quality of the mpeg cutscenes is - sadly - on par with the original smacker quality
But MPEG adds its own compression artifacts (particularly when trying to conserve space), whereas DXA losslessly preserves only the Smacker ones. Sometimes the difference is quite noticeable. It's not the exact same frame, but this example may still give an indication:

The clown from the Broken Sword 1 intro, MPEG version
The clown from the Broken Sword 1 intro, DXA version
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

Question again. Why das Sword 1 don't suport Flac compression for music and speech files? in the readme file there is only the hint that i can use only mp3 und ogg.

I want a lossless compression.
clem

Post by clem »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:Question again. Why das Sword 1 don't suport Flac compression for music and speech files? in the readme file there is only the hint that i can use only mp3 und ogg.

I want a lossless compression.
because (and that has been asked at least twice before at the forums) the original files are already compressed - making a FLAC version larger than the original.
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

clem wrote: because (and that has been asked at least twice before at the forums) the original files are already compressed - making a FLAC version larger than the original.
Ok. But the music is not compressed in sword 1, there are only many wav files in the folder. and the smacker videos also have only wav files if you decode with RADTools
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

FeebleFiles1 wrote: Ok. But the music is not compressed in sword 1, there are only many wav files in the folder. and the smacker videos also have only wav files if you decode with RADTools
I think the DXA player already supports FLAC.

If I try to compress the music with the version of FLAC I have installed (Debian 1.1.4-3 packages), I have to use the --lax option to get it to compress the 11025 Hz ones, i.e. most of them. You're only supposed to use that option "f you really understand the consequences", which I don't.

Apart from that, adding FLAC music playback would be simple.

EDIT: I found this page describing the --lax option in a bit more detail. I'm still not sure of the implications of using it, though.
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

Oh thank you for your answer. But i have already converted all wave files into flac with adobe audition. You can also make batchjobs with it.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:Oh thank you for your answer. But i have already converted all wave files into flac with adobe audition. You can also make batchjobs with it.
It was pointed out to me that we already use the --lax option in our compression tools when doing FLAC encoding, so I've added the FLAC playback code to the Broken Sword 1 music player.

It's too late for it to be included in the upcoming ScummVM 0.10.0, though.
mmoreira

Encode brazilian portuguese cutscenes in DXA format.

Post by mmoreira »

Hi, i searched everywhere for how can i can re-encode broken sword 1 videos in DXA format but i could not found.

I have de original brazilian version of the game and want to encode the videos on DXA format, how can i do that?

Thanks for the help
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Encode brazilian portuguese cutscenes in DXA format.

Post by eriktorbjorn »

mmoreira wrote:Hi, i searched everywhere for how can i can re-encode broken sword 1 videos in DXA format but i could not found.

I have de original brazilian version of the game and want to encode the videos on DXA format, how can i do that?
There should be a program in the scummvm-tools package to do that, but I'm not sure why you would want to. It's a bit awkward to use (at least, it was the last time I tried it), and ScummVM is able to play the original Smacker (.SMK) movies nowadays.

If you still want the re-encoded movies (the main reason I can think of is if you have a release of the game that uses MPEG movies instead of Smacker), you should be able to get them from the "Extras, game downloads" section of the ScummVM downloads page.