Broken Sword 1, very bad problems.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

melodie

Broken Sword 1, very bad problems.

Post by melodie »

Hi everyone. I've been experiencing extremly bad problems with Broken Sword lately. I started playing the game about a week ago, and it ran perfect without ScummVM. It's the Sold Out-version I have.

But about two days ago when I tried to start the game I only got: "Please Insert CD-1". And believe me, I've tried everything. But without explanation I couldn't get the game to work. So I decided to run it in ScummVM, and it runs perfectly, but it looks bad.

Am I only imagineing that it looks bad? George's face looks very blurry for example. I can't remember it looked this bad when I played it a week ago.

Please help! I will also try to put a screenshot here.

Thx!
clem

Post by clem »

it should look exactly the same; I think it's the soldout version that even uses ScummVM to play Broken Sword?
melodie

Post by melodie »

Okay I will get you a screenshot then, anyone know any good program for taking screenshots in?

And yeah, I heard that the Sold Out-ver uses ScummVM to play, but it ran perfectly without it.

Sorry, one more question. Does anyone have any idea what causes that "Please Insert CD-1"-error?
clem

Post by clem »

melodie wrote:Okay I will get you a screenshot then, anyone know any good program for taking screenshots in?
under windows, you can just push the "printscreen" button on your keyboard (usually to the right of the F12 key), then paste it into an image manipulating program like mspaint (edit->paste)
melodie wrote: Sorry, one more question. Does anyone have any idea what causes that "Please Insert CD-1"-error?
my guess is that the game is missing a file, and thus assumes it is on CD1, then asks you to insert it - just a guess though
melodie

Post by melodie »

clem wrote:under windows, you can just push the "printscreen" button on your keyboard (usually to the right of the F12 key), then paste it into an image manipulating program like mspaint (edit->paste)
Oh, I didn't think that worked in ScummVM.

Here is a screenshot, look especially at his face. http://pici.se/pictures/NsJft3.png

And here is a closeup on the face of how it looks in fullscreen. http://pici.se/pictures/JvhfYd.png

Is he really supposed to look like that?
clem wrote: my guess is that the game is missing a file, and thus assumes it is on CD1, then asks you to insert it - just a guess though
I don't think that's it, bacause it ran perfectly a week ago, and I havn't touched the files. I may also add that I can't even run the setup anymore. Hmm.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

melodie wrote: Here is a screenshot, look especially at his face. http://pici.se/pictures/NsJft3.png

And here is a closeup on the face of how it looks in fullscreen. http://pici.se/pictures/JvhfYd.png

Looks pretty normal to me. After all the engine has to scale the sprite up or down to the appropriate size. That's bound to cause some irregularities in the image.
melodie

Post by melodie »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Looks pretty normal to me. After all the engine has to scale the sprite up or down to the appropriate size. That's bound to cause some irregularities in the image.
Ok, well I thought it looked better when I didn't play it in ScummVM, but maybe I was wrong! If someone would please start the game and compare it to my screenshots I would be forever grateful. Thank you!
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

Unfortunately the palette didn't copy, but I was able to reconstruct enough of it to compare.
Also he's not in quite the same position as he was in your shot. Hopefully that isn't going to skew the results too much, though.

(2x zoom, no filtering)
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

melodie wrote:Here is a screenshot, look especially at his face. http://pici.se/pictures/NsJft3.png

I played Broken Sword 1 many times and I can tell from my memories that it looks fairly like it should (at least in non-ScummVM).

melodie wrote:
clem wrote: my guess is that the game is missing a file, and thus assumes it is on CD1, then asks you to insert it - just a guess though
I don't think that's it, bacause it ran perfectly a week ago, and I havn't touched the files. I may also add that I can't even run the setup anymore. Hmm.
Maybe this time it is the FIRST time where you already have a saved game that you could continue (i.e. last week you played continously without quitting the game)?!?!
Because then, Broken Sword doesn't play the intro and gets you straight to the game, but instead shows the "New Game / Load Game / Quit Game" main menue. Maybe the resource for that was missing / didn't copy and you're stuck now? (I remember something like this myself - where only after I saved the game there was this evil "no CD found"-error...)

clem wrote:it should look exactly the same; I think it's the soldout version that even uses ScummVM to play Broken Sword?
Hm... I only have the Sold-Out version of Broken Sword 2 (german), and I can say that it doesn't include ScummVM. The 1st really does?? :shock: :idea:
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Herrscher wrote: <snipped> Hm... I only have the Sold-Out version of Broken Sword 2 (german), and I can say that it doesn't include ScummVM. The 1st really does?? :shock: :idea:
The version that includes ScummVM is the 1&2 doublepack dvd release
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Herrscher wrote: Hm... I only have the Sold-Out version of Broken Sword 2 (german), and I can say that it doesn't include ScummVM. The 1st really does?? :shock: :idea:
There is a fairly recent Broken Sword 1 + 2 double pack that apparently does. I didn't buy it myself, partly because I already have the individual releases and partly because it's on DVD, and my computer doesn't have a DVD player.
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

I think the difference in that when you run it in Windows the screen resolution is changed to fit the game. With ScummVM the game is scaled up to match the windows default resolution so it is going too look like crap unless you manually change the windows resolution then load ScummVM.