Zak McKracken for FM-Towns on eBay!

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ssdsa

Zak McKracken for FM-Towns on eBay!

Post by ssdsa »

I'm selling "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders" for FM-Towns on eBay. Go ahead, buy now!

This is the game that initially started the roots to ScummVM! It's an incredibly rare piece of ScummVM history. A must-have! The soundtrack played during the game consists of the CD's audio tracks. Without a doubt this is by far the most beautiful version of Zak McKracken ever made: Stunning VGA graphics in 256 colours -- much better than just 16 colours in all other versions (C64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC DOS).

As you certainly know, you can play this game best by using ScummVM! (The English version, that is. For playing the Japanese version I suggest you use the FM-Towns emulator UNZ Version 0.5 L10a, released 2007-Feb-01.)

By the way, I'm also selling "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (Indy3) and "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" (Indy4) for FM-Towns on eBay.

If you think that the eBay Buy It Now price is too high, please make me an offer using the "Best Offer" eBay function.

Image Image Image

These games are going to be true gems in your Lucasfilm Games Collection! Get them now!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Zak McKracken for FM-Towns on eBay!

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ssdsa wrote:I'm selling "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders" for FM-Towns on eBay. Go ahead, buy now!
Congratulations. Until now, the TRS-80 version of Zork was the most expensive game I had ever seen on eBay, but now there's a new champion. ;)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

dude, there super crazy prices... theres no way i would pay more than £10 for those
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Woow

That prices shook me...i paid less than half for Zak (FMTowns) AND Indy3 (FMTowns)

Well, i don't have to buy them :-)

Good luck
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

" This is the game that initially started the roots to ScummVM! "

I thought that Monkey Island and some other game were the
first reversing attempts that ended up as the basis for ScummVM, Theres a Blog available from the original developers
and its on the wiki I think....

Also the Japanese Kanjii version can be played using the
FM-Towns Font Rom.

AFAIK you need to own an FM-Towns to own a copy of the Font Rom though.

Rob
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

And I thought 30 bucks was a steep price when I bought them more than a decade ago...

If I had 600$ to spend in video games, I think I'd go for a PS3 :)
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

sanguinehearts wrote:I thought that Monkey Island and some other game were the first reversing attempts that ended up as the basis for ScummVM, Theres a Blog available from the original developers and its on the wiki I think....
Oops, looks like you are right. I suppose I mixed that up with some fan-made Zak256 project that was inspired by Zak for FM-Towns. Anyone buying that game for the Buy-It-Now price just because of that statement is offered a full refund. :wink:
sanguinehearts wrote:Also the Japanese Kanjii version can be played using the FM-Towns Font Rom.
As far as I know, ScummVM doesn't support the double (640x400) resolution of the Kanjii characters on screen, though.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

there is another guy on eBay who sets all his buy it now prices at $1,000. Presumably to see what the best offers he gets are. He had the original gray box kq1 on there for 1500... retarded.
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

While I sold a copy of Zak McKracken for FM-Towns on eBay for EUR 300 (approximately US $403) last week,
some other lucky seller sold his copy of Zak McKracken for FM-Towns for EUR 507.01 (approximately US $682) today!

He also sold some other LucasArts adventures for FM-Towns on eBay today.
For your information, here are the prices they sold for:

The Secret of Monkey Island for FM-Towns: EUR 231.01 (approx. US $310)
Monkey Island 2 – LeChuck’s Revenge for FM-Towns: EUR 451.00 (approx. US $606)
Loom for FM-Towns: EUR 158.00 (approx. US $212)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for FM-Towns: EUR 71.00 (approx. US $96)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: EUR 159.03 (approximately US $214)

I'm sure these game versions are so popular among collectors because of the publicity they gained through ScummVM.
Thanks again to the ScummVM development team and all contributors for also supporting the FM-Towns versions.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Indeed, i had been watching these auctions intently as well.
Its amazing how hight the prices will go in the last minutes.
The "gotta have it" urge is a powerful thing :)

Such is the case with ebay auctions, it not so much about the items actual value but more about how much you are willing to pay to get it. For example many of the fm-towns games will pop up at buy it nows at about 220 us or so but in the case of auctions they almost always go for a much higher price.

Collections are as much an addiction as any caused by a sever drug.As an adventure collector i have observed that one always wants more versions of the games they have, if its one they already own they want a copy in better condition :wink:

As a collector i have fully resigned myself to this process, and my wallet hates me for it :D

(this is much longer than the original post and probably shouldn't have been an edit but it was very linked to my original comment. didn't want to double post)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

tbh, ebay is as bad as gambling
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

i laughed when i saw the prices for some of the fm-towns games. if someone wants it they will pay I guess. even tho there is nothing inherently collectible about them compared to other versions.
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

df wrote:i laughed when i saw the prices for some of the fm-towns games.
I think that other seller who sold those six LucasArts adventures for FM-Towns for a total sum of EUR 1577 (approx. US $2120) last saturday is still laughing, too. (And probably all the way to the bank.)
df wrote:if someone wants it they will pay I guess. even tho there is nothing inherently collectible about them compared to other versions.
In my opinion, they are indeed quite collectible because they are pretty rare, and it's really hard to get all six of them. And there's always this feeling of owning the "best" version of that particual game, especially for Zak, Indy3 and Loom.
Tseki

Post by Tseki »

Hello everyone ! I can see some friends here :)

Nice prices did those games went indeed *confused*
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Hello Tseki :D Welcome to the forums :D
Its about time you joined up here :wink: