Additional texts in CMI - how to remove?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Wormsie

Additional texts in CMI - how to remove?

Post by Wormsie »

ScummVM seems to have replaced some of the text in my copy of The Curse of Monkey Island. For example, instead of beautiful original graphics in the "choose difficulty"-screen, ScummVM displays the background and on top of it plain text. Is this normal? How to turn it off? If it isn't normal, why was such a n addition to the original game included? Also, ScummVM displays subtitles under the "Chapter N - etc" screens.

I'm using a Mac. ScummVM version 0.9.1.

Thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Additional texts in CMI - how to remove?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Wormsie wrote:ScummVM seems to have replaced some of the text in my copy of The Curse of Monkey Island. For example, instead of beautiful original graphics in the "choose difficulty"-screen, ScummVM displays the background and on top of it plain text. Is this normal? How to turn it off? If it isn't normal, why was such a n addition to the original game included? Also, ScummVM displays subtitles under the "Chapter N - etc" screens.
I'm not sure how you mean. I do see text on the difficulty selection and chapter screens, but only text that's part of the image itself. (The images are from the English version of the game. I don't know if the translated versions are any different.)
Wormsie

Post by Wormsie »

Hmm, the strangest thing has happened: now it looks completely normal, like in your screenshots. Was I just dreaming about this or something!? :shock: Sorry to bother. :)
Schnaks

Post by Schnaks »

I can reproduce what you described with a German version of COMI (ScummVM 0.10.0svn):

Title ScreenChapter Screen

This happens if the language is set to “German”. Selecting “English” gives the original screens.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

These are subtitles, and they are a normal part of the game, and were not "added" by ScummVM. The language and subtitle settings potentially affect them, too.