Please help me to save with a Supercard Lite

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ingaro

Please help me to save with a Supercard Lite

Post by Ingaro »

Hi,

I can't save a game in Monkey Island 1 or 2 (Amiga versions). I've read countless posts on this forum but still can't get my head round it. Please could someone tell me exactly what files I should have on my Micro SD card and what the full process is step but step for saving.

What I've tried
In Monkey Island 1 I go to the save menu to save the game (I take I save the game exactly as I would on an Amiga). As I hit save the DS screen goes black and freezes. I tried putting the scummvmb.ini with the [ds] forcesramsave=true text in it on my SD card but that causes Scummvm not to run as other people have reported. I also put a .sav file on my SD card, which I understand I'm supposed to save my game to from the DS's ram once I have QPC'd the DS. But how do I save my game to the ram in the first place? Do I need to change the paths within Scummvm?

I really have got a clue how get this working, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a DS Lite, Superkey, Supercard Lite Micro SD running Firmware 1.7 and an Integral 512mb Micro SD card.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Have you tried moonlight's DLDI from here?

http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/do ... _moon.dldi

I've had varying reports of people with troubles on the Supercard Lite recently. I can only assume a new revision of the hardware has broken compatibility with their driver.

Try the DLDI tester from here with both DLDIs to see if you get any errors:

http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/do ... tester.zip
Ingaro

Post by Ingaro »

Thanks for the fast reply agentq. I will check this out and report back.
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

If you can't get DLDI working you still should be able to use SRAM, but there are a couple tricks to get SRAM saving to work on a supercard Lite running the latest firmware (1.7).

#1) Under firmware 1.7 writing your SRAM contents to a saver file is broken when running in DS mode. The easiest workaround is to QPC and reboot into GBA mode. To do this I first eject my superkey, THEN turn the power on and off quickly. Select "Start GBA game" to load the supercard menu. Now when you select the appropriate saver it will say "Do you save to SD?". Hit "A" for "yes".

#2) I also have had problems with saves not loading into SRAM properly. For me the solution was to uncheck "auto load saver" and then load the appropriate save file manually by selecting it under the saver tab. This is in DS mode of course.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain in the arse, but this has worked reliably for me. Haven't tried using DLDI in the latest builds yet.

Here is another thread on the topic

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... d2cef639ea
Ingaro

Post by Ingaro »

Hi,

Thanks for all the help, but I still can't get a game to save. The scummvm.ini (with the [ds] forcesramsave=true text on it) file always prevents a game from loading when it is on my SD card. Scummvm loads up fine. But as soon as I hit start after adding, say Monkay Island 2 for instance, the screen goes black and the DS just freezes. If the scummvm.ini isn't on my sd card, Monkey Island 2 will load fine. I did use the DLDItool-Win32-GUI to patch the scummvm-a.nds file with the scsd_moon.dldi patch and the tool said it had patched successfully. I guess until I can get a game to load with the .ini file on my sd card, I'm never gonna get a chance to try and save a game at all.

Would it be possible for someone to email a ZIP file of there .sav and .ini file with or without a saved game on it to me that I could try with monkey island 2 please?

Thanks

Ingaro
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

You should not use the forcesramsave option when trying different DLDIs. Please try it without this option (no ini file at all should be fine) using the moonshell DLDI file. Also try the DLDI tester as I suggested in my last post.
Ingaro

Post by Ingaro »

Hi agentq,

I've just tried the DLDI tester. I put it in the root folder with all the Scummvm files on my micor sd card and I got the below message after pressing 'A' at the promt after selecting the tester from the supercard menu:

Initing FAT...fail
--- STOP ---

I'm not sure how this tester is supposed to work. Is the tester testing the scummvm nds files that it sees on the sd card? Should I of patched the tester its self?

Sorry if this is simple and I'm just being thick and don't get it.

Thanks for any help

Ingaro
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The tester tests the DLDI to see if it can read and write to your card. In this case, it seems that it can't. So either the DLDI is broken, or it's not compatible with your card.

Supercards do tend to be a bit dodgy with homebrew, but you should try digging up some other Supercard DLDIs and try them.
Ingaro

Post by Ingaro »

You mean I should patch the scummvm-a.nds file with a different DLDI?

And when I run the tester, is it checking that the DLDI the scummvm-a.nds file has been patched with is ok?