Support for The 7th Guest sometime?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

arablizzard2413

Support for The 7th Guest sometime?

Post by arablizzard2413 »

Is there any chance we might see support for The 7th Guest (Trilobyte/Virgin Games) in the future? The game is entirely pre-rendered video anyway, so it shouldn't be too difficult and it may even be possible to encode it to a different (and smaller) format.

My main reason for asking this is the game runs way too slow on OSX using DOSBox.
raina

Post by raina »

Now, as an FMV-puzzler sorta game, do you think it really is in the scope of ScummVM?
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I remember 7th guest very well, although maybe not something ScummVM may support, although would be nice :)

There was a CDi version, I wonder if the video was better quality than the PC version?
clem

Post by clem »

glidem wrote:There was a CDi version, I wonder if the video was better quality than the PC version?
I doubt it - the PC version was 640x480x256, I doubt the CDi has a higher color palette for FMV, and even the PSX has only 320xsomething resolution

speaking of FMV games, you could just as well ask for support of Rebel Assault :-)
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Is it CDi I am thinking of??? its been a while :) I thought it would use MPEG video for compression as it doubled as a movie player as well or have I lost the plot ;)
arablizzard2413

Post by arablizzard2413 »

The 7th Guest had it's own compression (it was the first game to support full motion video or something like that) it wasn't MPEG; I've only ever played the DOS version so I don't know about CDi. The files extension for the videos was .vxd I think (they're inside another file container).
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

The files have VDX as extension and the format is documented in the Xentax Wiki. I made a lame little player for them based on the specs. The engine used in T7G is basically "just" a movie player with a script interpreter thrown in but I don't think T7G or any FMV-only adventure fits with ScummVM.

Btw, when will Rebel Assault be supported? :D
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

glidem wrote:Is it CDi I am thinking of??? its been a while :) I thought it would use MPEG video for compression as it doubled as a movie player as well or have I lost the plot ;)
correct. the CDi was effectively just a (custom format) VCD player with menu capabilities. think of DVD with MPEG1 ;)

/EDIT: ok, not so true. it even had games which did not only consist of pre-rendered video.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Ahh thank goodness for that, thanks for the clarification :)
Laskov

Post by Laskov »

yes 7 guest support for Scummvm is a great idea.

If you support 7 Guest the support of 11 hours is easy after :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

"Easy?"
*sigh* :(

I'll only point you to this:
http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#AEN67

I think it covers it all
clem

Post by clem »

md5 wrote:"Easy?"
*sigh* :(
I think he means that 7th guest and 11th hour engines are quite similar or even identical

also note the smiley ;)
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

I dont understand the logic that I commonly see here that states,

"If you guys spend months integrating support for game X, then games Y and Z will be a cinch!"

Does that make integrating X any more feasible in the first place?
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Just asked someone who has both versions (PC and CDi), and he tells me the CDi version is much better.. I can imagine that, since the PC version is only 256 colors, and the CDi version is much more..
3Yenman3

Post by 3Yenman3 »

From what I read the 11th Hour's engine is a huge overhaul from the 7th Guest's engine, if memory serves me(which it rarely does, unfortunately) the games actually have two almost entirely different engines. If any first person adventure games were added(though I don't see that happening...) it would probably be Myst as the original version is jmore or less just Hypercard displaying a bunch of Quicktime movies(compressed using SuperMatch's Cinepak) and images.