Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

john_doe wrote:No, not at all. MI4 may not be the best MI part but it's still a pretty good adventure and worth playing. There's much worse out there. While KQ8 and Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude aren't even real adventures anymore MI4 still is one. I think it's mainly the 3D-style that put many people off.
Well, I wasn't put off by the graphics, the story itself was horrible and some of the ideas in MI4 were way out of place of the "spirit" in the other 3 games. That was the main reason I hated it personally, nothing to do with the graphics style.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

IIRC, I liked 4 more than 3. :?

So it is:

MI 1
MI 2
MI 4
MI 3

Yes - like the Alien movies.

Shame to me. :twisted:
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

3's not so bad! I'm not sure if it beats the genius that 2 was, but I'm right at the end right now and it was a really good time. Lots of fantastic jokes. Best line ever was Guybrush to the grave digger: "That's a lot of books. Isn't that a lot of money, buying all that bad fiction?" "Well yeah, but at least my bad fiction doesn't take 1000 dollars worth of hardware."
fan of grim

Instructions on how to run GrimX

Post by fan of grim »

hi there,

i'm a huge fan of grim fandango, and played it back in the day on windows98.

these days i'm running on a mac, and hoping to enjoy the game again with my son.

i've been attempting to use the Grim X software... but for some reason, nothing seems to work. i hit PLAY and the screen goes momentarily black, but then i'm back out of GrimX with no error message.

heres what i did :

1- i copied all the .lab files, and put them in a new folder, calling it 'Grim'

2- i put GrimX in the same folder

3- i put the new 'Grim' folder inside the game folder that already contains: autorun.inf, gf.ico, flower.ico, the install folder, directx folder, gfupd101.exe, grimfandango.exe, grim launcher.exe, setup.exe

but there seems to be no effect when i attempt to click play in GrimX

Anyone see anything i'm missing?

Do I need to rename any files or folders, or get the residualarc files?

thanks very much, im looking forward to showing my son the greatest adventure game ever...

Andy
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Forum Rule 7
fan of grim

sorry just one post now

Post by fan of grim »

hey clone.

sorry, didn't realize there was no double posting. i checked the rules, and removed the other post.

still hoping someone out there can help with the above post on... the steps needed to run grimX...

i know there's a lot of posts out there on this, but ive gone through them all, and im just not sure what im doing wrong ... thanks a lot.

Andy
Jimbob

Re: Instructions on how to run GrimX

Post by Jimbob »

fan of grim wrote:hi there,

i'm a huge fan of grim fandango, and played it back in the day on windows98.

these days i'm running on a mac, and hoping to enjoy the game again with my son.

i've been attempting to use the Grim X software... but for some reason, nothing seems to work. i hit PLAY and the screen goes momentarily black, but then i'm back out of GrimX with no error message.

heres what i did :

1- i copied all the .lab files, and put them in a new folder, calling it 'Grim'

2- i put GrimX in the same folder
Ok, this should be fine, so far ....
fan of grim wrote:3- i put the new 'Grim' folder inside the game folder that already contains: autorun.inf, gf.ico, flower.ico, the install folder, directx folder, gfupd101.exe, grimfandango.exe, grim launcher.exe, setup.exe
You don't need any of these files, so you can remove them if you like. These are the files I have installed: -

Code: Select all

CREDITS.LAB                     MOVIE04.LAB
DATA000.LAB                     VOX0000.LAB
DATA001.LAB                     VOX0001.LAB
DATA002.LAB                     VOX0002.LAB
DATA003.LAB                     VOX0003.LAB
DATA004.LAB                     VOX0004.LAB
GRIM.TAB                        YEAR0MUS.LAB
Grim Fandango - Manual.pdf      YEAR1MUS.LAB
MOVIE00.LAB                     YEAR2MUS.LAB
MOVIE01.LAB                     YEAR3MUS.LAB
MOVIE02.LAB                     YEAR4MUS.LAB
MOVIE03.LAB
fan of grim wrote:but there seems to be no effect when i attempt to click play in GrimX

Anyone see anything i'm missing?

Do I need to rename any files or folders, or get the residualarc files?
Right, this is where the problem is I think. You need to create a .residualrc file in the home directory of any users who want to use GrimX. Mine looks like this,

DataDir=/Volumes/ScummVM Games/Grim Fandango
good_times=TRUE
fan of grim wrote:thanks very much, im looking forward to showing my son the greatest adventure game ever...

Andy
If this doesn't help, then look in the console log after you've tried to run GrimX. There should be some messages to say what the problem is.
fan of grim

thanks so much! --- Almost have it --- but the graphics

Post by fan of grim »

hey Jim thanks a lot for your help ... (':D')

it worked, and went straight into the game...

but it had graphics issues as soon as it started up.

the images looked like they were repeated, very distorted.

sound was fine.

i swear i remember someone else having a simillar problem, but couldnt locate the posting.. (':shock:')

-Andy

:D :shock:
Jimbob

Re: thanks so much! --- Almost have it --- but the graphics

Post by Jimbob »

fan of grim wrote:hey Jim thanks a lot for your help ... (':D')

it worked, and went straight into the game...
Glad you got it working ...
fan of grim wrote:but it had graphics issues as soon as it started up.

the images looked like they were repeated, very distorted.
Not heard of this happening before, it seems to work fine graphically on my old iBook G3 with a Radeon GFX card.
fan of grim wrote:sound was fine.

i swear i remember someone else having a simillar problem, but couldnt locate the posting.. (':shock:')

-Andy

:D :shock:
I'm not sure what to suggest. It seems to run fine on each of the Macs I've tried it on ...... iMac G3, iBook G3 and an iMac G5. What computer are you running it on?
fan of grim

figured it out

Post by fan of grim »

hey jim,

i figured it out.

seems that this graphics distortion is happening only when 'software rendering' is checked in Grim X.

now the game works! i'm able to walk around anywhere, but i get a crash, just about every time i try any keyboard function, such as 'Look' , keying the number 5, or quiting the application.

but i totally expected the crashes ...

its just very cool to see the game again after all these years.

once again, thanks a lot Jim for guiding me through it.

Cheers,
Andy
GrimTango

Residual Development

Post by GrimTango »

hi everyone, Im a huge fan of Grim Fandango. I wanted to ask if the development on Residual is still underway and if there is anyone or any team working on it. I know it says everywhere that it is discontinued but there is such a huge fan-base of Grim Fandango that I'm sure some people somewhere are still on it. I have just compiled Residual under windows XP sp2. I want to continue the work on Residual development. If any of you has enough expertise and wants to lend a hand it would be great.
I want to thank all the ScummVM team and original developers of Residual. I have seen the codes and man there has been a lot of hardwork.
If anyone wants any help with the Residual compilation under windows, let me know.
MetaFox

Re: Residual Development

Post by MetaFox »

GrimTango wrote:hi everyone, Im a huge fan of Grim Fandango. I wanted to ask if the development on Residual is still underway and if there is anyone or any team working on it.
Development on residual is still underway.
GrimTango wrote:I know it says everywhere that it is discontinued but there is such a huge fan-base of Grim Fandango that I'm sure some people somewhere are still on it.
It doesn't say anywhere on the ScummVM site or on the wiki that Residual is discontinued. There was a commit to the subversion tree just a mere 7 weeks ago.

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm/residual/
GrimTango wrote:I have just compiled Residual under windows XP sp2. I want to continue the work on Residual development.
If you are serious in developing Residual, please upload your source changes to the patch tracker. If your work follows the Code formatting conventions, and improves upon Residual in some way, chances are it will be added to the official subversion tree.
GrimTango

Post by GrimTango »

Thanks for the information. Over the next few weeks I'd be putting together a team of my friends who are willing to work on Residual.
I know the development is being carried out by willing individual developers, but is the original team doing it too?
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

GrimTango wrote:I know the development is being carried out by willing individual developers, but is the original team doing it too?
Yes. That last commit I mentioned was made by aquadran, who is part the ScummVM-Residual Team.
GrimTango

Post by GrimTango »

Yes I checked, a lot of files were edited just 8 weeks back by aquadran.
What surprises me most is the fact that the complete code is developed around nothing more than .LAB files from the game CD. I mean building a complete engine around data files with no blueprints available seems like a daunting task.
Is aquadran, or any other Residual team members, original Grim Fandango developers too?
As I have heard a lot of people that comprised the original Grim Fandango team has left Lucas Arts. Some joined Tim Schafer in his new game studios Double Fine.