PS2: ScummVM 0.8.0 RC3

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

surferpr

Full Throttle

Post by surferpr »

Having Problems running full throttle with this port :cry: Detects the game and everything is ok except that when I run it the game the screen just stays black. anybody else have this prob???
firehawk

Re: Full Throttle

Post by firehawk »

surferpr wrote:Having Problems running full throttle with this port :cry: Detects the game and everything is ok except that when I run it the game the screen just stays black. anybody else have this prob???
It's working perfectly here. No probs.
I've only tried loding it from the HDD.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

whee, quite some activity here...

The next RC will autodetect what it's being booted from and should work from cd/mc/hdd, whatever. I've just been quite busy and wasn't able to implement it until now. I think I'll be able to make a new RC next week.

I'll implement some kind of video mode override in it, too.

I still haven't had time to look into the cannon ball problem. I suppose it's related to the way the scumm engine handles mouse movement. Maybe it expects the mouse to be moved faster than the mouse emulation with the pad allows. I guess it's something weird like this. I didn't notice it until now as I always tested ScummVM with a USB mouse...

@cronot:
Exactly, that's the problem...
MP3 compression makes ComI play a little better from CD, but still not good enough to be actually playable.

@surferpr:
FT works perfectly here, from CD/DVD as well as HDD.
Does your FT version work on windows/linux (or whatever you normally use on your pc)?
What's your path to Full Throttle on the cd? I'm not sure if whitespaces and special characters in the path are correctly handled, so if you didn't use cd-tool to create the disc, this may cause a problem...
firehawk

Post by firehawk »

@lavosspawn:
Those are great news. Thanks a lot. :D
barf

Really Excited about HDD support in PS2ScummVM

Post by barf »

Really Excited about HDD support in PS2ScummVM

Those news are actually so great that I played Monkey Island IV all night...
I'm dying to play 1, 2 and 3! Haven't done that in years, I'm becomming all excited over this.

I strongly suggest to change the name of the partition to "Homebrew" though...
Instead of "ScummVM" Then it will be possible to use the same partition as for the rest of the Homebrew.

hdd0:+Homebrew for president!
knuckles896

Post by knuckles896 »

I was just wondering if it might be possible to run PS2ScummVM using Action Replay MAX's Media Player function. I know that the Media Player supports .ELF format but I don't know if this would work with it.

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but if so just chalk it up to me being new here.
surferpr

FT working

Post by surferpr »

yes FT does work, excelent port lavosspawn! I should have said that I am running it using the mem card then swap exploit since I have no modchip. I notice 2 things when I load it from the hdd it stays black but when I load it from cd it works but skips some cutscenes(a lot actualy :? ). I already know how to format partitions upload files to ps2 and whatnot and scummvm actually detects the hdd and finds the data and the folders (no special chars. just fullthrottle). ahhhh cant wait for the new ver. YOU ROCK LAVOSSPAWN!
surferpr

Forgot something

Post by surferpr »

oh yeah and my FT copy works perfectly on the windows scummvm :D Thanks!
SilverBlade

Post by SilverBlade »

Lavosspawn, you are my new God! Fantastic work here, now I'm able to play The Dig in fullscreen and without freezing. Love it.

I've read elsewhere that people are having problems burning this to a DVD. There's talk about cd/dvd generators and whatnot, and if some people are still having trouble I will just say that it doesnt have to be that complicated. Just open Nero, select "New compilation" "DVD" and, VERY IMPORTANTLY, select "DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO).

Then just drag the files made with the cd-tool into this compilation and burn.

And finally, I completely disagree that the partion name should be changed. I very much like having my Scumm games in a separate partition.

Did I forget to mention that I'm EAGERLY awaiting being able to boot from HDD? :)
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

SilverBlade wrote:I've read elsewhere that people are having problems burning this to a DVD. There's talk about cd/dvd generators and whatnot, and if some people are still having trouble I will just say that it doesnt have to be that complicated. Just open Nero, select "New compilation" "DVD" and, VERY IMPORTANTLY, select "DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO).

Then just drag the files made with the cd-tool into this compilation and burn...
The .bin file? Is it possible to create more than 1 .bin file?I have over 2GBs of Scumm Games and if I want to create a bin with the cd-tool/make_iso.bat it stops with an error message (after adding games into the bin)

...or do you mean the Game Files and the port Files?
barf

Post by barf »

SilverBlade wrote:And finally, I completely disagree that the partion name should be changed. I very much like having my Scumm games in a separate partition.
Why should I have to have several partitions on my HDD? It sounds like Windows 3.11
I have several apps, MyPS2, PS2UAE, some other light/heating controlling app, eventually there will also be ScummVM, I hope.
SilverBlade

Post by SilverBlade »

SithlordDK wrote:
SilverBlade wrote:I've read elsewhere that people are having problems burning this to a DVD. There's talk about cd/dvd generators and whatnot, and if some people are still having trouble I will just say that it doesnt have to be that complicated. Just open Nero, select "New compilation" "DVD" and, VERY IMPORTANTLY, select "DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO).

Then just drag the files made with the cd-tool into this compilation and burn...
The .bin file? Is it possible to create more than 1 .bin file?I have over 2GBs of Scumm Games and if I want to create a bin with the cd-tool/make_iso.bat it stops with an error message (after adding games into the bin)

...or do you mean the Game Files and the port Files?
I haven't tested with big games, but do you mean you cannot create a bin file over the cd 650 mb capacity?? If that is the case, then I'm sorry I havent tested that. Please note, you should not burn the bin file regardless.

Either way, I'm talking about the files inside the bin file generated by clicking make_iso.bat, and I'm pretty sure the following will work: click make_iso.bat without any games in the dir. Mount the bin file with Daemon Tools or any other app able to mount bin files, and copy the files from your virtual dvd-rom (these will be the files generated by make_iso.bat, 11 files to be precise) to a folder, call it Scummps2 or whatever.

Next, copy your game folders into the same folder. Using Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island as example games, you will then have a folder with the following files and folders:

MANIAC/
MONKEY/
CODYVDFS.IRX
FILEXIO.IRX
IOMANX.IRX
POWEROFF.IRX
PS2ATAD.IRX
PS2DEV9.IRX
PS2FS.IRX
PS2HDD.IRX
SCUMMVM.ELF
SJPCM.IRX
SYSTEM.CNF

Using the above instructions in Nero, drag all of these files to the compilation window and burn. (make sure "no multisession" is selected berore burning)
SilverBlade

Post by SilverBlade »

barf wrote:
SilverBlade wrote:And finally, I completely disagree that the partion name should be changed. I very much like having my Scumm games in a separate partition.
Why should I have to have several partitions on my HDD? It sounds like Windows 3.11
I have several apps, MyPS2, PS2UAE, some other light/heating controlling app, eventually there will also be ScummVM, I hope.
Because you cannot use the scumm games/files for anything other than Scumm emulation. There's no need to copy and paste any of those files once they're on your harddrive. In that regard, in a PS2 environment, there really isnt any difference between having a folder or a partition.
barf

Post by barf »

SilverBlade wrote:
barf wrote:
Because you cannot use the scumm games/files for anything other than Scumm emulation. There's no need to copy and paste any of those files once they're on your harddrive. In that regard, in a PS2 environment, there really isnt any difference between having a folder or a partition.
Partitions to me have fixed size, folders do not.
SilverBlade

Post by SilverBlade »

Partitions to me have fixed size, folders do not.
First of all, you can resize partitions using dms format tool.

Secondly, I really dont get your point. You're gonna have to have your scumm files on a partition anyway, that, as you say, has a "fixed" size.

My scumm game collection takes up around 3440 mb's of space. Therefore I've made a 3500 MB ScummVM partition. Since your'e not gonna delete or move any scumm files, reencode sound ect on the PS2, I really dont see the big deal.