ScummVM in the Google Summer of Code

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

knakos
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM in the Google Summer of Code

Post by knakos »

So, where are you going to spend the summer(*)? Some exotic beach? Perhaps Mêlée Island (TM)?

Well if you are a student and want to make a buck this summer (more accurately $4500 US of them), Google is organizing the absolute Open Source recruitment drive, also known as the Google Summer of Code! The program is designed to create an incentive for the students to participate in Open Source projects, by providing guidance and economic support. What's more, your favorite project ScummVM is proud to be participating!

Think about it. Have you ever thought about contributing to a large Open Source project like ScummVM but were intimidated to do so? With the Summer of Code opportunity, you can put your skills at work under close cooperation with our (currently) three mentors. They'll help you ease in the team, plan the task ahead of time with you and guide you all along.

To get things started, you have to pitch us your idea. Take a look at our Open Tasks page for some suggestions. Then visit the Google Summer of Code website, read up on the FAQ and check out the application guide.

Now, hurry up! You've got until March the 24th, so get cracking!

(*): Summer in the northern hemisphere definition :-)
Last edited by knakos on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Do you get to know if and how many have already joined or asked to be accepted as students?
Can one look up the actual list of students (yet to be accepted) or will it be revealed at the end?

Thanks
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

1. Five, last I heard.
2. No, only mentors can access the list of proposals
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Five?

Cool. Given that there are so many projects to join, that's much, isn't it?

...and if i understand it correctly, this whole project can really push some parts of ScummVM forward?

Not to mention the fun for the mentors...
...and err, the students...

...and the gain in experience :-)

I'd love to join myself...but i presume you have to code? :-D
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Raziel wrote:I'd love to join myself...but i presume you have to code? :-D
Yup :wink:

The one thing I want to see the most is HE16bit support :P (If anyone reads the logs, you know)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

I'm happy about ScummVM entering in the Google SoC. Any work in the development will benefits us the users and this can accelerate some improvements. I hope good needs will be said soon about the accepted students.

I just want to know if ScummVM 0.10 will be released after SoC, I hope yes. ScummVM 0.10 seems will be one of the bigger releases, a katamari release :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I am not sure. Personally, I'd really prefer if we made the next release *before* the SoC. After all the current release 0.9.1 is already half a year old. So I'd rather see us release in the next 2-3 months than in 6 months.

All depends on the documentation work, anyway. *sigh*
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

fingolfin wrote:All depends on the documentation work, anyway. *sigh*
:P

Time to shift into high gear then :)
StarG

Re: ScummVM in the Google Summer of Code

Post by StarG »

knakos wrote: Now, hurry up! You've got until March the 24th, so get cracking!
Uhm.. i just noticed about the proposal... is it now too late to try to register?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yes, it's too late by a long shot. We are already ranking the proposals etc., the final results (with how many slots we got, and which projects/tasks are in them) will be announced April 11.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Any news? :)
Zbyl

Post by Zbyl »

I've been accepted for GSoC with the project "Multi-platform SCUMM resource browser" and I just want to say hi.

Here's the project's abstract:
"The goal of this project is to implement a multi-platform, graphical resource browser for SCUMM data files. The browser's plugin system will be designed to allow extending it's functionality to support additional file formats and visualizations."

Zbyl
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

You can view all accepted projects and their abstracts (which in some cases are by now a bit incomplete / out of date :) here:

http://code.google.com/soc/scummvm/about.html

A proper news item will follow soon.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

What a great idea for advancing leanring and helping the project, glad it is happening and that so much great work, from the list of projects, will be done. I continue to be amazed at the dedication and altruism of this work you all are doing to preserve and allow the classics to be played as platforms evolve and change. I have to keep adding machines to my platform library to keep my research library useable, so I am one of your biggest fans! thanks for keeping us posted on this great learning project, and bravo to Google too!
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

I'd like to thank all participating students for their contributions. We had an interesting bunch for our first year in GSoC, lots of valuable stuff was developed which will be making their way to the official trunk soon. Me and sev will also be participating in the Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit in October.

We're looking forward to being in GSoC again next year!