sam and max wrong colors with 0.9.1, ok with 0.8

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marcopar

sam and max wrong colors with 0.9.1, ok with 0.8

Post by marcopar »

Hello, i'm experiencing color problems with Sam and Max Hit the road using scummvm version 0.9.1.
With this version, in the first animation sequence right after the lucas logo, all the colors are wrong, the game cycles the palette to make some animation of the background but the result is that large part of the screens are involved in color cycling.
Using 0.8.0 this problem does not happen.

Another problem is visible when Sam and max enter the scene and start talking. Here the colors are all wrong and they assume the right "value" only when they talk and their face is animated.

i setup the vm to work with no scaling but using other algorithms does not change anything.

platform winxp.

screenshots:
http://i16.tinypic.com/2qlv48o.png
http://i16.tinypic.com/44996vp.png
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

First of all, have you tried the latest SVN version? That problem might have been fixed in it

Second, what is the color depth of your desktop? (To view it, right click on an empty area of the desktop, go to properties->settings tab and check the color depth there). Make sure that the color depth is set to "highest (32 bit)".

Finally, try closing down any other active applications and make sure that the ScummVM window has focus, not another application. Does that problem also occur when you set ScummVM in fullscreen?
marcopar

Post by marcopar »

the problem occurs also with today's svn windows build.
screen color depth is set at 32bit.
only scummvm is executing and the problem occurs also at fullscreen.

ciao
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

marcopar wrote:the problem occurs also with today's svn windows build.
screen color depth is set at 32bit.
only scummvm is executing and the problem occurs also at fullscreen.

ciao
I can't think of any ScummVM change that would cause that. They probably do ship with different versions of the SDL library, though. I wonder if that makes any difference. I don't know if you can simply replace the 0.9.1 SDL DLL with the one from 0.8.0, but it might be interesting to try it...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Are the colours only wrong in this particular game, or are they wrong in other games, like Beneath a Steel Sky or Flight of the Amazon Queen as well? Are the colours wrong in the ScummVM GUI?

If I understand the graphics backend correctly, there are a couple of places where the colours could be corrupted. The native colour depth of the game is 8 bits. The game engine provides that palette. This is then transformed to 16 bits, which is ScummVM's native colour depth. Finally, the SDL library transforms this to the screen's colour depth, which in your case is 32 bits.

It might be interesting to see what happens if you change the screen's colour depth to 16 bits before running ScummVM.
marcopar

Post by marcopar »

beneath a steel sky colors are ok.
gui colors are ok.
switching to 16bit does not solve the problem.

sdl version used in 0.8.0 is 1.2.9
sdl version used in 0.9.1 is 1.2.11

using 1.2.9 with 0.9.1 works but does not solve the problem.

ciao
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Extremly strange, I can't think of any reason for this from the top of my head. I am tempted to say "impossible"; but you obviously are experiencing the problem despite any exlamation I might make... :).

To help us further narrow down the problem, could you please try with 0.8.2 and also 0.9.0 ?
marcopar

Post by marcopar »

i think i find what could be the problem.

the game is a ripped cd version found on the net that comes with its own installer to put all the files in the scummvm dir and that comes along with the scummvm 0.8.0 installer (but i think that it's a tweaked installer because the icon is different from the one used in official installers)

i think that the interesting thing is that scummvm, when launched, already has the game configured.
i do not know where this info is stored under windows (maybe the registry?) because i can't find a file with that info in it and uninstalling scummvm cleans up the scummvm directory pretty well exept from games directories... but let's get to the point:
installing last svn, removing the game and adding it again solves all colors issues.

the reason about that is up to you :) but i will be happy to receive a brief explanation of it, just for curiosity.

HTH
ciao
TribeHasSpoken

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

marcopar wrote: the game is a ripped cd version found on the net
Marcopar, you have violated forum rule #0. You have the right to remain silent on the tech support forum. If you choose to give up this right, anything you say can and will be used against the members of the SCUMMVM development team by the game's copyright holder. You have the right to go on eBay and buy the game legitimately. If you cannot afford to buy it, save your money until you can.
marcopar

Post by marcopar »

If you choose to give up this right, anything you say can and will be used against the members of the SCUMMVM development team by the game's copyright holder.
first of all i don't think that scummmvm team could and will be charged for any copyright infringement eventually made by my person.

saying that, you say i'm violating rule 0. how do you know i do not own a real copy of the game and i'm using an already made rip just for simplicity and pure laziness? you do not know, so take it a bit more easy in accusing people.

instead, i'm understanding the big point of an eventual damage at the image of the scummvm team that could be made by my post (as explained on the wiki). i apologize with the team for using a so simplicistic language in describing the situation. it will not happen again.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

There is no support or help given to people that don't own an original version of the game they want to ask help for. That's why the rules are there, the team behind this project is not happy to help pirates because eventually companies like BSA will accuse this project of supporting piracy, something not nice.

We don't know if you have an original version or not, but you did say you got a pirated version and asked for support regarding this version and not the original that you may or may not have. Helping pirates is something strictly forbidden by the rules of this forum, for a good reason
marcopar

Post by marcopar »

well... whatever you think i did the bug report and i think i've provided enough information to solve that bug, if that's really a bug obviously.
that's what matters here and i'm happy with that.
thank you all.
ciao