Loom TG16 Extract

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sanguinehearts

Loom TG16 Extract

Post by sanguinehearts »

Im having huge problems extracting my loom tg16 tracks from the cd, Im using dump cd which reports:

Dumping from D:
Unable to initialize Drive D:

or something similar.
just wondering if anyone had had similar problems, or knew of a workaround because everything else i use to extract an Iso image
makes extract_loom_tg16 report unknown iso content.
thanks
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

WinDumpCD is a Win95 app it seems, I never could make it work on my XP system (with ASPI layer installed). I finally succeeded in ripping the two ISO tracks on a Mac... with VirtualPC :)

Anyway, extract_loom_tg16 doesn't work anymore since a couple of months (here at least, it complains that the ISO tracks are not valid). You might want to give a try to TurboRip by Nightwolve. It's a new PCE ISO ripper which I didn't test yet.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

I'm upping this thread in regards to the tidbits of work recently made on the TGX version of Loom. I've been eager to do some tests on this version with ScummVM ever since I donated a US copy to Ender a couple years ago.

Problem is, I am still unable to use the extract tool on my ISO track (track_02) as the program says that the "ISO contents is not recognized". I've ripped my CD with DumpCD (DOS), WinDumpCD (Win95), PCERip (Win95) and the latest TurboRip (DOS).

WinDumpCD doesn't work on my XP config. DumpCD produces a 6.08 MB file (6375424 bytes), while both PCERip and TurboRip produce a 6.22 MB file (6529024 bytes). None of those dumps seem to be recognized by the latest extract tool from the SVN.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The PC Engine uses a unique CD format, so the dumpcd utility at Zeograd's lair must be used, to extract the code track.

The filesize (6375424) from the dumpcd you used, looks correct, but seems like extracted data is different.

The md5 checkum of the extracted track 2 should be:
40015B9D4B6A88C623BBC8AB2693A152 CODE_02.ISO
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I managed to get dumpcd to work by loading it up on an old
laptop running just Dos, finding drivers for the external
CD-Rom I had was the difficult part. However my md5 checks
out so thats good!

Track 22 is also supposed to be extracted right?
It appears as a data track in nearly every other program
that I have used,
but dumpcd wont recognise it as this and if I choose to output all tracks it just gives an audio file.

Its worth mentioning that I managed to run CODE_02.ISO through extract_loom_tg16 and 00-99*.lfl files were output
the md5 im looking at for the extracted version is

3B14FCF9C7000569F7DD01CE852D34B5 00.LFL
Now im not confident about this being correct as the extract program fired out loads of errors in the following format

WARNING: extract_resource(room) - unknown resource tag encountered: len **** type 0*!

Just throwing this in the pot
Last edited by sanguinehearts on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

sanguinehearts wrote:Track 22 is also supposed to be extracted right?
Only track 2 is required by ScummVM, the other code track can be ignored, and is basically the same content.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

thanks for getting back to me, I edited my previous message to include a bit more detail.

Regards
Robert
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

sanguinehearts wrote:Its worth mentioning that I managed to run CODE_02.ISO through extract_loom_tg16 and 00-99*.lfl files were output
the md5 im looking at for the extracted version is

3B14FCF9C7000569F7DD01CE852D34B5 00.LFL
Now im not confident about this being correct as the extract program fired out loads of errors in the following format

WARNING: extract_resource(room) - unknown resource tag encountered: len **** type 0*!

Just throwing this in the pot
It sounds like you are using an old version of extract_loom_tg16. The latest version of extract_loom_tg16 is required, specifically dated 4th March 2007 or later.

There will be no warnings and the result should be:
0650E8AB1432564607CD651C0FA3F344 00.lfl
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

My md5 matches, so thats good,
If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

Kirben wrote:The latest version of extract_loom_tg16 is required, specifically dated 4th March 2007 or later.
I searched the forums, but found no answer, so I'm asking here: Where can I download the latest version of the tools for Windows, especially extract_loom_tg16? For Windows, the download link from the ScummVM website offers only the 0.9.0-tools containing extract_loom_tg16 dated 22th June 2006. Or do I have to compile them myself? :shock:
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Im pretty sure up-to-date tools are included in the SVN builds available on the downloads page. Just download and install, then check the tools folder for the latest ones (i think i have at least six different versions of scummvm on this computer at the moment :P that'll teach me for being lazy when I update :D ).

anyways, Hope this helps
clem

Post by clem »

ssdsa wrote:
Kirben wrote:The latest version of extract_loom_tg16 is required, specifically dated 4th March 2007 or later.
I searched the forums, but found no answer, so I'm asking here: Where can I download the latest version of the tools for Windows, especially extract_loom_tg16? For Windows, the download link from the ScummVM website offers only the 0.9.0-tools containing extract_loom_tg16 dated 22th June 2006. Or do I have to compile them myself? :shock:
they usually come with the SVN builds of ScummVM afaik
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

clem wrote:
ssdsa wrote:Where can I download the latest version of the tools for Windows, especially extract_loom_tg16? For Windows, the download link from the ScummVM website offers only the 0.9.0-tools containing extract_loom_tg16 dated 22th June 2006.
they usually come with the SVN builds of ScummVM afaik
Thank you very much! I was misled by the download description for the Windows snapshot build that reads "Win32 Daily Snapshot (2051K exe file, last update: March 8, 2007, 7:23 pm)". I thought the download yields the ScummVM executable only, but you get the Windows installer that includes the executable as well as all tools. My mistake.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Kirben wrote:The PC Engine uses a unique CD format, so the dumpcd utility at Zeograd's lair must be used, to extract the code track.

The filesize (6375424) from the dumpcd you used, looks correct, but seems like extracted data is different.
As SanguineHearts noted, DumpCD only seems to work on a real DOS config (which I can't verify). For some reason, running the program through NTVDM or DOSBox won't produce a valid ISO.

Besides, I should let you know that DumpCD is now considered deprecated in the PCE community since the recent release of TurboRip, which will produce perfect rips of PC Engine mixed mode CDs even under NT systems. Someone might want to have a look at it and adapt extract_loom_tg16 accordingly.
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

I was enable to extract the data track 2 from my English Loom TG-16 CD as well as from my Japanese Loom PCE CD using the "dumpcd" utility mentioned above. In both cases I get a file called "CODE_02.ISO" sized 6375424 bytes. However, the "dumpcd" utility didn't work at all on my primary PC with Windows XP SP2. Nevertheless, it ran flawlessly on my older PC with Windows ME simply from within a command window.

I was able to extract all *.LFL files from the English "CODE_02.ISO" file using the ScummVM tool "extract_loom_tg16.exe" (from SVN snapshot 8th March 2007), and I also get the md5sum
0650e8ab1432564607cd651c0fa3f344 *00.LFL
just like Kirben said.

However, when I try to extract the *.LFL files from the Japanese "CODE_02.ISO" file, all I get is this error message:
D:\>extract_loom_tg16.exe CODE_02.ISO
ERROR: ISO contents not recognized!!

Oh well.

Anyway, ScummVM detects the English *.LFL files as "Loom (PC-Engine/English)". When I start the game in ScummVM, I get the difficulty selection screen (just plain white text on black background), and after that the game intro starts. All I see is some white text on black background, no other graphics, and no sound. The game seems to hang after that, but maybe it's just running fine and you just can't see any graphics, items or characters. So it's clearly a work in progress. :)
I'm hoping that some ScummVM developer happens to work on this version.

By the way, I happen to own three copies of the Japanese version of Loom PCE. I'm willing to donate one to a ScummVM developer if someone wants to work on that topic.

--- --- ---

And in the meantime, if someone wants to run Loom (TG-16 / PCE) in some other emulator, I suggest Magic Engine. It works perfecty for me.

Here are some screenshots I made with MagicEngine:

Loom Japanese PCE CD:

Loom English TG-16 CD:

Last edited by ssdsa on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.