[Very Important] Which Games use SCUMM? And many more.....

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: OK, but...

Post by sev »

PsYcO wrote:
sev wrote:That's not that easy. Besides, do you have extra copies of the game?
i dont want to sound rude, but what do the donations pay for?
(a) there are no plenty donations. In february we got just 2, $25 in total

(b) we conducted a fundraiser which was paid for IDA licenses

(c) even with the money it is often difficult to find games. Not to mention prices of some of them. And that's biggest obstacle in this case

(d) Don't worry about donations, we are not buying beer with them.

So far our donations were used to buy about 10 games and pay IDA licenses. Any ScummVM Team member can approach team co-leaders and we use money from the pool to pay something he request. We have not rejected any of such requests so far.

Moreover, quite possibly we will have to have constant, albeit low profile flow of money soon as we are looking for more reliable hosting for forums and wiki. Also we would lnot mind to renew our IDA licenses in a year or so, which will cost several hundreds dollars.

Eugene
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

I've made a small donation in the past and more recently I've donated some specific games. Of the two I'd sooner provide the games but can fully appreciate the need for cold hard cash given stuff needs paying for :)

A donation should never be tied to an expectation. The maximum I'd expect from a donation [of any kind] is a 'thank you'.

I just happen to have a spare copy of Toonstruck and it's yours if you'd like Sev. Just PM me and I'll post it on! ...of course I'm not suggesting you start RE this game :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

That's exactly how I view it, Reckless.

And thanks for the offer for a copy of Toonstruck. Right now I am not aware of anybody interested in working on it, but should we ever get support for it, it'll be helpful to get copies of the game to some key devs. In particular, not just the devs who develop the engine for a given game need copies -- ideally, all porters should have access to all games (so they can test them on their port), as well as people working on infra structure code. Alas, that's often not possible, but at least we can try to provide as many of them as possible with the required games.

So we'll keep your offer in mind, just in case. :)
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

I also have a copy of Toonstruck left, just send me a PM when you need it.
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

I thought the Smacker-compressed video in Toonstruck was still a major obstacle. Or was that a different game?

(And, um, what's an IDA license?)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jorpho wrote:I thought the Smacker-compressed video in Toonstruck was still a major obstacle. Or was that a different game?
Actually, the Smacker problem has been downgraded from major obstacle to major nuisance. The Feeble Files uses Smacker extensively, but ScummVM can play them if they are re-encoded to DXA.
Jorpho wrote:(And, um, what's an IDA license?)
IDA is the Interactive Disassembler, and that's about all I know about it.
luigihann

Post by luigihann »

I hope it's not too obnoxious to bump this thread, but I'd just like to add that I also have Toonstruck on CD-rom, and wouldn't mind donating the discs if and when they are needed, in the hope that support for this odd game might eventually be added.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

It's not obnoxious, just pointless :)