AGI Game Testing/Documenting

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

AGI Game Testing/Documenting

Post by clone2727 »

Way back in May of last year, Sarien merged with ScummVM. Not only does this give you the great opportunity to relive those long lost childhood memories of defeating the evil Sariens in Space Quest alongside thwarting LeChuck's evil doings in Monkey Island, but it also gives you the chance to create some new memories, such as searching for the ingredients for a magic recipe in the fan made game, Voodoo Girl: Queen of the Darned. There are over 180 AGI fan games that have been made using something like WinAGI or AGI Studio that can be played in ScummVM. Luckily for us, sev has made a compilation of them that can be found here.

"Why are you telling me this?" you might ask. Well, the gauntlet has been thrown down. We need you, the ScummVM users, to go write a description for the wiki for the fan games, using the syntax written in this forum post. Then, post it there as well. This way, the wiki editors can post it on the wiki.

In addition, we ask that you test both Sierra's AGI games and fan made games using ScummVM. As usual, you will need a daily build. However, we ask that you check if a bug in an AGI fan game is present in the original interpreter as well. If you find any bugs, please report them to the bug tracker. DO NOT POST BUGREPORTS HERE!

Good luck!

Syntax:

Code: Select all

== Game Name ==
{{FanGame|
	name=Game Name|
        image=|
        release=|
	versions=|
	alternateNames=|
	developer=|
	platforms=DOS|
	engine=[[AGI]]|
	support=Not officially supported.<br/>A WIP AGI engine is available<br/>in our SVN repository.
&#125;&#125;
'''Game Name''' <your description>
Last edited by clone2727 on Sat May 26, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

I've had to auto redirect the fan game download link to another host - the file has been download many many times and my main site is close on bandwidth exhaustion! Hopefully people have found time to actually *test* some of the games eh ;)

The redirect is done automatically so the original link is and should always remain valid. The new host is a temporary measure (it's a lot slower) whilst I sort something out.

Also, iPwnzorz graciously offered a mirror
clem

Post by clem »

I also mirrored it at http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/ ... de.tar.bz2

tell me if that doesn't work; I guess it should be quite fast
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Ive played through Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge (2.0F 1989-01-05 3.5"/DOS/English) and can confirm thats it is completable with no apperent bugs :D
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

glokidd wrote:Ive played through Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge (2.0F 1989-01-05 3.5"/DOS/English) and can confirm thats it is completable with no apperent bugs :D
I can confirm apparent bugs :( (see scummvm bugtracker). Can you do things like walking in odd places and other things?

Nobody is adding anything to the bugtracker so I guess nobody is doing any real testing... (it is nice to know SQ2 is winnable tho).
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

okay i went back and confirmed the crashed ship walkpath you submitted. :oops: i must have missed that one. I cant recall any other place in the game where my character could go where he wasnt supposed to be though i even made it through the labian rootmonster "maze" with no major problems (other then dying a lot :wink: )
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

I just completed Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter(2.2 1987-05-07 5.25"/3.5"/DOS/English) with ScummVM with only 2 bugs. One is present in the original interpreter, and is semi-major but easily avoidable as it takes a bizzare combination of character movements to re-create. The other is not in the original executeable, but is only a minor graphical error.

Ultimately there are no major game halting bugs (without trying hard at least :wink: ) and the game is completable, Yay :D
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

Just wanted to add that King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella (2.0 1988-07-27 3.5"/DOS/English) has been completed on ScummVM with full possible score. I've posted bug reports for all bugs I have found such as:

1)Don't press ESC during introduction it freezes the game.
2)I was unable to open save games saved inside the dwarf house, right outside the fisherman's house, and during conversation with Lolotte.
3)Graphical Dwarf sequence bugs when the dwarfs come home for dinner.
Collector

Post by Collector »

JonWW wrote:Don't press ESC during introduction it freezes the game.
This happens with Sarien, too.
saulob

Post by saulob »

Ok, helpme out a little.

Downloaded ScummVm, tested some old sierra games, nice... but there goes my question :D

I tried to edit some game files, like translating the text. Understand ?

Using "WinAGI Game Development System" ( http://www.winagi.com/ ), I was able to do that on the "Space Quest 1" files. no problem.

But after that... ScummVM don't recognize the game anymore :(

Is it supose to work like that, right... changed md5.. that things. right ? :(

So, i'm unable to change anything on the games ? :o

Edit: btw, dunno if I can ask on that topic, but it's AGI related.. so...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, fallback detection in AGI engine is still a todo <sigh>

Eugene
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

The problem I have is some of these games logic is version specific. I dont know if winagi can open 2.086 games and understand them to recompile them as 2.917 etc.

how much support do we give fan translations? (that and agi was never designed to really handle non-english.) I guess it should all just fallback to standard fangame?

now I think about it, when winagi recompiles a logic it doesnt recompile whole game... youd have logics in two versions which wont work
saulob

Post by saulob »

I tried (my personal translation) with the last NAGI from http://www.winagi.com/ and worked fine. No problem at all :)
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

I have the next problem:

Gold Rush! v. 2.01 1988-12-22 DOS English
AGI v. 3.002.149
Your game version appears to be unknown. Please, report the following
data to the ScummVM team along with name of the game you tried to add
and its version/language/etc.:
object.: '9fa64d3f27c489933c6d9700e94f1791', 1814
grdir.: '3ae052117feb483f01a9017025fbb366', 2399
object: '9fa64d3f27c489933c6d9700e94f1791', 1814
grdir: '3ae052117feb483f01a9017025fbb366', 2399
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That's a known cracked version, thus not supported
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418820

(when sev says sq2 in his post, he means goldrush)