We need screenshots for Touche

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

We need screenshots for Touche

Post by sev »

Hi,

as you know, we added support for game Teouche: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer.

To give more presentation for the game, we really need set of screenshots for the game. May you, our users do that for us, please? There are screenshot submission guidelines, in short those just specify which scaler to use, which in fact you don't have to use in this case because game is 640x400.

We need 5-10 screenshots where 3-4 will be chosen from.

Eugene
Herrscher

Re: We need screenshots for Touche

Post by Herrscher »

sev wrote:we really need set of screenshots for the game.
Maybe you should remove
We got all screenshots. (DO NOT POST ANY!)
from the wiki... :wink:
clem

Post by clem »

consider it changed (any other engines with needed screenshots?)
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

The demo isn't that long/interesting for screenies... can't get hold of the game so can't help sorry :(
meist3r

I'll do it

Post by meist3r »

I wanted to start playing that game anyhow so I will make some caps along the way.

I've just downloaded optipng and mkthumb.sh to fulfill the requirements. Now all I have to do is find some nice motives. Ah and by the way on the screenshots wiki page it says "Pick some interesting scene to shot" but I think it should be either

"Pick some interesting scenes to shoot"
or
"Pick an interesting scene to shoot"
anyways shoot with 2 o and correct plural or singular.
*adjusts-imaginary-glasses* ;)
clem

Re: I'll do it

Post by clem »

meist3r wrote:Ah and by the way on the screenshots wiki page it says "Pick some interesting scene to shot" but I think it should be either

"Pick some interesting scenes to shoot"
or
"Pick an interesting scene to shoot"
anyways shoot with 2 o and correct plural or singular.
*adjusts-imaginary-glasses* ;)
kthx, did some editing there

at last studying English pays off :)
meist3r

Exact title

Post by meist3r »

Hi guys, shoot me I'm done :)

It's a great game but some of the actions are very lengthy for my taste so I cut it short by using a solution in the end (Hey I don't have that much time to play adventures the regular way I just want to fill up my knowledge gaps). It was worth the eBay purchase though.

I've made some 50 screenshots during the game, most of which I discarded quickly afterwards. I have picked ten of the most representing and beatiful for you to chose.

But I have some questions considering the names and some other things:

1) What should I put for subcategory? Right now I have a filename that is "bigscummvm_2_?_<number>.png" and What kind of prefix should the thumbnails have? Or just name them "scummvm_..." instead of bigscummvm_...?

2) Even after optipng the files are roughly around 300-450KB. I used imagemagick's "convert -quality 9" to change them from bitmaps to png. Is that small enough? Most of the other screenshots I've checked are smaller in terms of filesize. I don't really know how to use pngcrush yet to reduce the size. Any advice is appreciated.

3) I've created a "cat-touche" icon in png format sized 27x21 pixels with transparent background. Do you have any use for that or do you want to create a new one yourself? Well of course you'll have to look at it first.

4) How should the requested .txt file look? The things in the Wiki are kind of contradictory. My filename is scummvm_2_0_0.txt so far (until I get answers to my first point here) and it contains the full game name as well as an "ls -aR" output from the directory thus all the files included in the archive I will create.

Which brings me to my final question:

5) How should I upload the files? I don't have upload access to the SVN repo and now it's either Patch-Tracker or eMail. What kind of package do you want? .gz/.tar.gz/tar.bz2/.rar/.zip? Tell me what you'd like better.

I can't start finishing the package w/o these infos. I'd be glad hearing from you guys soon.

Salut! :)

Edit:
You wouldn't by chance know how I can set the output index format in convert? Right now it numbers the files with -1 -2 -3 and so fort but I'd like it to do _1 to suit your format.

2. Edit:
Found it. Add %d at the place were you want the number =) to your filename.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

1) The next screenshot number (after checking the screenshots folder) is 10, so your screenshots should be:
scummvm_2_10_0.jpg
bigscummvm_2_10_0.png
scummvm_2_10_1.jpg
bigscummvm_2_10_1.png
and so on (0, 1, 2, ...)

The scumm*.jpg files are the thumbnails, the bigscumm*.png files are the actual screenshots

2) Those are a bit large, the biggest screenshot up to now is around 300k or so (and that's just 1). The current PNG files are approximately 60-110KB

For pngcrush, check its homepage or wikipedia:
http://pmt.sourceforge.net/pngcrush/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pngcrush

If you're not sure, do what the Screenshot submission page suggests:
"If you didn't perform some actions with the screenshot file, for example you didn't pngcrush it or you were unable to produce thumbnails, please mark your submission accordingly"

3) Best thing to do is add it with your submission and mention it in the submission notes, since you've put effort in creating it

4) From the screenshot submission guidelines page:
"Create a scummvm_X_Y_Z.txt containing the full game name and optionally provide the platform name in parenthesis. For example "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Amiga)" "

5) From the screenshot submission guidelines page again, you can see that you can submit your work via the patch tracker:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=a ... tid=418822

I'm not sure about the actual compression format, I guess zip should be ok as it can be read from most platforms (?)

In any case, here's the screenshot submission of Gobliins 2, in case you find it helpful:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418822

Disclaimer: I'm not in the team, I'm just trying to answer your questions. Probably a team member could give you a better answer, in case I answered something wrong

Hope that helped :)
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

@md5: Thanks for your advice, actually it helped a lot because that Goblins shot thread was just what I needed to figure out how to work that tracker. I wanted to upload an archive all the time didn't even think about uploading the single files. I figured the shots were too big because they used the full color palette so I reduced it to an optimized lossless one with 256 colors. After pngcrush they all came in around 250KB. That was as small as I could get them considering the requirements of good quality.

You can find the shots here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418822
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Great work, well done! :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Excellent work! I've added the screenshots. Thank you.

Eugene