Do you want a directory structure in ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Yes, that' a great idea.
61%
I don't really care.
22%
No, I don't like that idea.
18%

Total votes: 51

joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

The question is whether users would find a feature, like suggested here http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=3020 useful.

It would be optional, so no-one would be forced to use it.

And as far as I understand, Eugene's suggestion is to make it sortable by the users the way they prefer it, eg. Company, Engine, and so on.

So this should be really flexible enough for everyone.

The basic thing is, Eugene still wants a poll, and now its up to us show our support for the idea!
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I think it would be a waste of time for two reasons:

1) I have plenty of games, and I don't need it
2) I think the dev's should be working on something more worthwhile. There is plenty on the TODO list already
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

My suggestion is that user himself specifies group names. I.e. it could be put under whatever name they come up with. Examples of group names: "My girlfiren's favorities", "Lucasarts games", "Japanses games". Each game could be put in any number of groups and each group can have more than one parents, thus be put at any level.

And again, this will be completely optional, and only user who need it will have to turn it on and use.

Eugene
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Eugene's suggestion is the best so far. I like that idea.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

sev wrote:My suggestion is that user himself specifies group names. I.e. it could be put under whatever name they come up with. Examples of group names: "My girlfiren's favorities", "Lucasarts games", "Japanses games". Each game could be put in any number of groups and each group can have more than one parents, thus be put at any level.

And again, this will be completely optional, and only user who need it will have to turn it on and use.

Eugene
Although I don't feel the need to add to the weight of the developers task as it is, this sounds like a sensible/pragmatic approach. A container that can hold 'stuff' be that other containers or links to games :)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Some messages that could be quite interesting to being readed...
md5 wrote:Well, it could be implemented as an option in the GUI (e.g. a checkbox or a radio button, "sort games" or something), which can be initially deselected. By checking/selecting the option to sort the games, the sorted list could appear, with options on how to sort the games.
glidem wrote:I suppose anyone worried about many catagories, a search box would be cool if possible?
If possible to create categories, it will be possible to use logos for them? For example: Lucas Arts logo or Lucas Film logo for LA games, horrorsoft/adventuresoft logo for their games, Sierra Online logo...
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Of course, anything is possible, but for now, I'd be just happy with the Easiest Way to Implement (TM). :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sev wrote:My suggestion is that user himself specifies group names. I.e. it could be put under whatever name they come up with. Examples of group names: "My girlfiren's favorities", "Lucasarts games", "Japanses games". Each game could be put in any number of groups and each group can have more than one parents, thus be put at any level.
Of course, that raises the question of what happens if one of your girlfriend's favorites is a Japanese LucasArts game. :-)

Though I imagine what you meant was something similar to how Web browser bookmarks are organized. ("Favorites" in Internet Explorer, though I think that term became misleading the first time a program installed its own IE "favorites" without asking.)
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Drag 'n' Drop games :D
Eilhan

Post by Eilhan »

I like the idea very much. With all the freely available demos and AGI fan-made games, my game list is starting to get long and cluttered. Some sort of sorting would be nice, either a directory structure or tabs on the game list.

-Eilhan
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Does this initiative is WIP or just freezed? It could be nice if someday becomes reality...
3Yenman3

Post by 3Yenman3 »

I'd like this feature to be implemented however I'd like to bring attention to Fingolfin's second post in the discussion linked above.