Unique Mac versions?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

plop

Unique Mac versions?

Post by plop »

Hello, my goal is to track down every unique version of all the SCUMM games. I recently spent $24 on The Dig (Mac), but after I extracted it, I found out that data files are IDENTICAL to the PC ones! Can anyone tell me what other Mac versions are IDENTICAL to the PC versions? Specifically I want to know about:
Full Throttle
Sam & Max
DOTT (what about the included Maniac Mansion, is it unique?)

Thank you for your help!
clem

Re: Unique Mac versions?

Post by clem »

plop wrote:Can anyone tell me what other Mac versions are IDENTICAL to the PC versions?
as far as I know they're all identical to their PC counterparts (datafiles are the same, just interpreter is different)

there was a discussion on here once about better gfx in the Mac versions, but that turned out to be simply because of some graphics scaler

clem
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote: as far as I know they're all identical to their PC counterparts (datafiles are the same, just interpreter is different)
Judging by some comments in the source code, the Macintosh versions of Monkey Island 1 and Loom has different sound than the PC versions. The Macintosh version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade certainly looks different than the PC version, but I don't know if that's a difference in the data files or just in the interpreter.
plop wrote:DOTT (what about the included Maniac Mansion, is it unique?)
Perhaps it doesn't answer your question, but Aaron Giles writes a little about porting Day of the Tentacle to the Mac on his web page. It sounds to me as if it's unique in the sense that it's the only Macintosh version of Maniac Mansion, but the data files are presumably identical.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

eriktorbjorn wrote:The Macintosh version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade certainly looks different than the PC version, but I don't know if that's a difference in the data files or just in the interpreter.
I wish i could get my Indy 3 Mac to look like that... Its pretty different :) i think im going to have to hunt down and old mac for that one. ScummVM play's the game with the original style menus.
ascummyguy

Post by ascummyguy »

Let's use Fate of Atlantis as an example. The Mac talkie version was released right at the time Apple was switching to PowerPC processors, so they released the CD with two interpreters. The Power PC interpreter, and the 68k interpreter. There are no graphical updates to the files themselves - but the Power PC interpreter had the 'Graphics Smoothing' option which was just a scaler (though it was really nice back in the day).

However, there are unique sound files to the Power PC version (I'm at least certain of this in Fate of Atlantis, I'll look for my old CD's of Sam & Max and DotT and compare file sizes if I find them). There's an instruments file on the Mac Fate of Atlantis CD which I would assume provides midi instrument data to replace the standard sound.

I'd consider buying and shipping a copy of Fate of Atlantis for Mac if there was somebody on the ScummVM team that was interested in looking at the files. I don't know that there's any need though. I can't say what the additional files contain exactly, how much better they really sound (if at all), or if it would be worth adding support for them. But as I said, if somebody on the ScummVM team cares and wants a CD, send me a PM and I'll scout ebay.
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

As far as I know, Indy4 (Mac US-Talkie CD) is already supported by ScummVM.

That CD contains two different versions of Indy4: One comes in a single data file called "Fate of Atlantis Data" (161796385 Bytes), while the other one comes in several files: "ATLANTIS.000" (11885 Bytes), "ATLANTIS.001" (8782535 Bytes) and "MONSTER.SOU" (149867609 Bytes). I don't know if there are any visible (or audible) differences between the two versions, though.

I've got a couple of those original CDs here, so if somebody from the ScummVM dev team wants one of those, just PM me and I'll send one.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

ssdsa wrote: *snipped*
I've got a couple of those original CDs here, so if somebody from the ScummVM dev team wants one of those, just PM me and I'll send one.
Me too :D Darn those mislisted ebay items :wink:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

ssdsa wrote:That CD contains two different versions of Indy4: One comes in a single data file called "Fate of Atlantis Data" (161796385 Bytes), while the other one comes in several files: "ATLANTIS.000" (11885 Bytes), "ATLANTIS.001" (8782535 Bytes) and "MONSTER.SOU" (149867609 Bytes). I don't know if there are any visible (or audible) differences between the two versions, though.
Hmmm... I don't remember there being two versions on the disc. There were two executables, though.
ascummyguy

Post by ascummyguy »

clone2727 wrote:Hmmm... I don't remember there being two versions on the disc. There were two executables, though.
Exactly. A PPC executable interpreter and a 68k executable interpreter.
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

OK, the Indy4 Mac CD I've got looks like this:

And here's what HFVExplorer looks like when displaying the contents of this CD:

So, there are two different executables ("Fate of Atlantis" vs. "Fate of Atlantis PowerPC")
and two different sets of data files ("Fate of Atlantis Data" vs. "ATLANTIS.000", "ATLANTIS.001", "MONSTER.SOU").
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

This is disc I have as well. It has all the same contents when viewed with HFVexplorer. I haven't had the opperunity to see what it actually looks like on a mac though...
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I'm not home right now, and will check it later. My memory is a bit foggy at the moment.

Also, I have only looked at it via my mac.
ascummyguy

Post by ascummyguy »

Yeah, I've truthfully not looked at the Mac CD in a long time since ripping it. I'll put it in my iMac tomorrow, and check it out.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Hmmm... Maybe the .000/.001 files are for the old interpreter and the Data file for the PPC interpreter?

EDIT: The sound has lesser quality and sounds different in the .000/.001 files separate than the "Fate of Atlantis Data" file. So, there appears to be a difference. So, maybe my theory is correct?
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

clone2727 wrote:Hmmm... Maybe the .000/.001 files are for the old interpreter and the Data file for the PPC interpreter?
Judging from the file dates shown in my screenshot of HFVExplorer, I'd say you guessed right. :)
The .000/.001 files and the old interpreter were created in 1994 while the Data file and the PPC interpreter are from 1996.
clone2727 wrote:EDIT: The sound has lesser quality and sounds different in the .000/.001 files separate than the "Fate of Atlantis Data" file.
How did you compare the sound quality? Playing both data sets in ScummVM? Or using the old and the PPC interpreter on a Mac?