Old Sierra Adventures?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Collector

Post by Collector »

Often the Sierra Games are quite slow under DOS-BOX, because Sierra had shitty Audiodriver. I used a Patch Programm called GOSIERRAV3 to Patch the Audiodriver.
The audio driver has nothing to do with the speed of the games in DOSBox. The fact that you are running at only 4000 cycles is why. Try around 10,000 cycles.

The speed bug with the Sierra SoundBlaster was only with initialization of the driver. As you have found, the GOSiERRA patch does not always work and may take multiple launches to work.

DOSBox allows you to use the old Sierra work around for the SoundBlaster bug, which was to turn off the turbo switch to start the game and turn it back on after the game has started. Start the game in DOSBox with very low cycles and then increase to ~10,000.
IratePenguin

Post by IratePenguin »

Vivendi has released collections for Kings Quest, Space Quest and Larry (sierra.com) that are only $20 and will run on 2000/XP although I don't really see them releasing Gabriel Knight anytime soon.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

IratePenguin wrote:Vivendi has released collections for Kings Quest, Space Quest and Larry (sierra.com) that are only $20 and will run on 2000/XP although I don't really see them releasing Gabriel Knight anytime soon.
And Police Quest. Of course, the main reason they run on 2000/XP is probably because they include DOSbox on the CDs. :)
IratePenguin

Post by IratePenguin »

that i didn't know, you just saved me $20 thanks
i was gonna buy the space quest one
IIGS_User

Kings Quest IV GS

Post by IIGS_User »

Thank you for supporting the Apple IIGS version of Kings Quest IV in your latest SVN!

8)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Is there a compatibility list for the supported Sierra games?
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

md5 wrote:Is there a compatibility list for the supported Sierra games?
Ant news about this? Users can contribute to testing each game and providing it's experiences on a public wiki section or the forum.

What about an AGI forum section?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The Madventurer wrote:Ant news about this? Users can contribute to testing each game
Shhh... Something is going to be happening soon. :wink:
fisken uno

Post by fisken uno »

It would be very nice if ScummVM could support the IIGS ports of the AGI games, specifically the Ensoniq sound (MIDI-like music and PCM sound effects). After having played these versions you won't ever want to play the PC versions again!

There are IIGS emulators out - the best ones being Sweet16 (for BeOS and Mac OS X) and Bernie II the rescue (Mac OS X). Windows users will have to go with Kegs and XGS. Neither of these are especially good - at least not at emulating the sound card. I've been screwing about trying to get BeOS to run on my system and I could barely get it to work. It does however feel quite unnecessary to install a completely different OS just to play AGI games... So PLEASE!! Make ScummVM do the job! I beg you... :(
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

fisken uno wrote:So PLEASE!! Make ScummVM do the job! I beg you... :(
Your help is needed. Donate some IIgs game to the ScummVM Team for testing.

Eugene
fisken uno

Post by fisken uno »

sev wrote:
fisken uno wrote:So PLEASE!! Make ScummVM do the job! I beg you... :(
Your help is needed. Donate some IIgs game to the ScummVM Team for testing.

Eugene
Unfortunately I do not possess originals of these rare gems. They are, however, quite easy to find on the net (but I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to post links here). It's quite possible to extract the files from the disk images (I think I used a utility called fishwings) in order to make them run through ScummVM. I've managed to run the games until any kind of music is supposed to play but then ScummVM just quits.

I wish I could help you guys out with this :( I've been looking for IIgs Sierra originals but I doubt anyone would be willing to sell them. Besides, I own these games for quite a few other platforms already... Oh well. PM me in case you'd be interested in more details.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Except that the Ulysses is not an AGI game. It was one of the pre AGI numbered (#4) Hi-Res adventures.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Reckless wrote:After something like these?
Exactly. But as you may see, SQ1 price went high, and shipping on all three from US to Europe is quite high as well.

Eugene
kaysow

Post by kaysow »

Another headsup; I just picked up this 'Simon The Sorcerer Double Pack' today. Found it at www.webhallen.com, and it includes both games, plus those sketchy pinball and puzzle ones too. So it might still be in print, if you're missing those two (I had been using a friends copy from the 90's). Only 70 kr, translating to 10 buckazoids. So it's Webhallen if you're swedish, otherwise it's scavenging-time.

They also carry the collections mentioned above, which will ALL be rereleased 10 bucks cheaper on march 30th. I'll be there.

You know, it's not that I haven't payed for them earlier. But in the 10+ years that have passed since, it's inevitable that you misplace and/or kill some discs. I don't think I've seen disc 1 of my KQ Collection for over a decade.