MAC USER how to save a game?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Amey

MAC USER how to save a game?

Post by Amey »

hi,
Hi,
i am running several lucas arts game on my Mac but i didn't find yet how to save it. When i click the Start button on the scummvm window, it automatically starts the game at the very beginning instead of starting it where i left it the last time. thanks! hum and by the way, is there any important keyboard shortcuts i should know about because it is usually not the same thing on a Mac.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hum..

Read the README, maybe???
fatwill

Post by fatwill »

if you had read the readme you would know that pressing F5 will open a save/load dialog.
pizzajoe

Post by pizzajoe »

I have the same problem. I did read the readme, but I still can't save a game. I am playing DOTT, and running Mac OSX (10.4.8 on an ibook G4).

When I press F5, it doesn't have any effect in DOTT. It just changes the sound volume (as it generally does independantly of the application I'm using).

When I press CTRL-0 to 9, CTRL 1 and 2 switch between characters, and others have no noticeable effect.

When I press ALT-0 to 9, I don't see any effect.

Thanks for any tip.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

pizzajoe wrote:on an ibook G4
Um... fn + F5?
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

In Keyboard Preferences for the system you can choose wether you want your F keys to control the hardware (like brightness, sound), or act as normal F keys. Hardware control is on by default, you can get to the nomral F function by holding down the Fn key.
pizzajoe

Post by pizzajoe »

Thanks for your answers. I learnt something about my keyboard :wink:

Very nice virtual machine, by the way.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

ScummVM is not a virtual machine, it's a complete reimplementation of several game engines (mostly for point'n'click adventure games)
clem

Post by clem »

md5 wrote:ScummVM is not a virtual machine
it's still called Scumm Virtual Machine though ;)

afaik it's a virtual machine running/interpreting the game scripts

it's not an emulator, though :)
7 10 12

Am I that stupid?

Post by 7 10 12 »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for such a great program, including it's nice interface, and this wonderful website, for it is an obviously time taking, not always very rewarding task but still so useful for us, users.

I intend to play Kyrandia (french mac version) again, and face the problem described here, that is neither Alt-1 to Alt-9 does seem to save any game nor Ctrl-0 to Ctrl-9 load any other, despite the appearance of the "kyra1.000" autosave file in my (default) "Savegames" folder. When playing to DoTT, as far as I remember, it did work neither, but thanks to the F5 menu, that wasn't really a concern.

However, the F5 menu does not appear in Kyrandia. I guess it's perfectly normal, as the Manual doesn't suggest it should. I however have a (standard Kyrandia? French, anyway) menu which appears in the very beginning of every game I start which offer me the "choice" of either starting a new game or loading a saved game (there isn't any).

I'd of course like to be able to save/load games not using the command line (which I will try to do in a few minutes).

Would you have a suggestion?
Thank you already,

Configuration: I'm using a MacBookPro (thus without any "real" NumPad), with a French AZERTY keyboard. That means the upper numbers must be reached using the shift keys, for usual french accents - éèà... - took their place. It's running OS X 10.4.8 and ScummVM 9.1.

Some attempts: I've tried to type Alt-N and Ctrl-N:
  • Using shift keys to reach numbers on the upper part of the keyboard, as usual
  • Using the Fn key to use the pseudo NumPad
  • Using the F6-NumLock key to use the pseudo NumPad
  • Switching to American Keyboard in System Preferences in order to be able to use the number above the letters without using the shift key.
Apologies:
  • For my English, it should be clear by now that I'm French-speaking and thus am bad (let's remain polite) at foreign languages. Please don't hesitate to make comments on the topic, I'm always willing to learn.
  • For not being able to shorten my explanation. This time, it's more of a personal problem that a cultural one.
7 10 12

I guess the right answer would be "Yes".

Post by 7 10 12 »

Allright, I answer my own question. Just click on the blue gem on the lower left of the screen, and it will raise another menu where you can load/save/set options. I hope it'll work when I have to load a game, but I'm confident for it made a kyra1.001 file appears.

Still, I'm wondering why the other way of loading/saving does not work.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: I guess the right answer would be "Yes".

Post by eriktorbjorn »

7 10 12 wrote:Still, I'm wondering why the other way of loading/saving does not work.
Different games have different user interfaces. Some have keyboard shortcuts, some don't. The "Hot Keys" section of the ScummVM README file has more information about that.
7 10 12

Post by 7 10 12 »

Of course, but here is what the ReadMe state about Kyrandia HotKeys (page 16).
The Legend of Kyrandia:
Ctrl 0-9 and Alt 0-9 Load and save game state
Ctrl-d Starts the debugger
The debugger appears as expected.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

7 10 12 wrote:Of course, but here is what the ReadMe state about Kyrandia HotKeys (page 16).
The Legend of Kyrandia:
Ctrl 0-9 and Alt 0-9 Load and save game state
Ctrl-d Starts the debugger
The debugger appears as expected.
I was thinking of the F5 key. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the rest. :)

I don't know why Ctrl/Alt 1-9 doesn't work for you. From a quick look at the source code it look as if it should, but I can't test right now.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I don't know why Ctrl/Alt 1-9 doesn't work for you. From a quick look at the source code it look as if it should, but I can't test right now.
Works fine over here. (with german qwertz layout though)