PS2: ScummVM 0.8.0 RC3

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

barf

Post by barf »

mac_es wrote:...PS: scummvm.ini parameters where are introduced? like language, target_md5....
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/s ... ease-0-8-0
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

@firehawk: No, you can not force a different video mode. I don't see a reason for doing that, either...
What exactly is the problem with the HDD?
If you created the partition and started ScummVM, it will show up as "Harddisk" in the Add Game dialog.
AmigaMaster

Post by AmigaMaster »

HDD support works great. I've created a 2 GB with HDDFRMT.ELF and copied all COMI files with PS2OS into this partition. Then booting RC3 from DVD and accessing "Harddisk".

But I have a problem with COMI at the beginning where you have to shoot at Le Chucks crew sitting in the boats. When I use the cannon and screen switches to cannon view, the cannon goes some way to the left and I am not able to move it to the right or further left, just up and down.
Tried it directly from DVD/HDD, saved and loaded a game but always the same problem :cry:
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

That's strange, it works perfectly fine here.
Do you play with mouse or pad?
Maybe the controls are just a little strange when playing with the pad, you probably heft to keep the right direction pressed for some time before it actually starts moving.
AmigaMaster

Post by AmigaMaster »

I am using the original pad and yes, i tried to hold it to the right for about 15-20 seconds. Also tried to re-insert the pad while ScummVM is running (thought re-calibrating would solve this) but sadly it doesn't.

Maybe interesting:While in this screen, when I open the menu (Start button) the cursor moves without any problems.

Tomorrow I am able to test it with another pad. I will post the result here.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

I doubt it's the pad's fault. I'll take a look at it.
landocalrissian

Post by landocalrissian »

Any chance that future versions of the the PS2 port will work without a modchip; by using the memory card exploit instead?
barf

Post by barf »

landocalrissian wrote:Any chance that future versions of the the PS2 port will work without a modchip; by using the memory card exploit instead?
Maybe in RC4 I heard... if we are lucky that is.
rootboy

Post by rootboy »

@AmigaMaster

Hi there, I had the same problem:
i`m using the gamepad. At the canon-sequence i´m only able to bring it up or down. But moving rigt or left won´t work until the Canon is fired. But I can move it during the time the ball needs to fly. So bring the canon up, fire it (the ball takes more time when it hits the castle) and adjust it to left and right.

Maybe this will work for you.
firehawk

Post by firehawk »

lavosspawn wrote:@firehawk: No, you can not force a different video mode. I don't see a reason for doing that, either...
What exactly is the problem with the HDD?
If you created the partition and started ScummVM, it will show up as "Harddisk" in the Add Game dialog.
Well... I have a PAL console and my TV supports NTSC only. That's why I asked for it. If you could do something like starting ScummVM holding a button to force NTSC would be great.
About the HDD, I figure out that I needed to create a partition named ScummVM , so I created it and all worked fine.
And the final question, is there anyway to run ScummVM from HDD? Because it always look for its files on DVD drive.
Sorry asking so many questions and thanks for developing the PS2 port.
Last edited by firehawk on Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cpt. wesker

Post by cpt. wesker »

AmigaMaster wrote: But I have a problem with COMI at the beginning where you have to shoot at Le Chucks crew sitting in the boats. When I use the cannon and screen switches to cannon view, the cannon goes some way to the left and I am not able to move it to the right or further left, just up and down. :cry:
i have the exact same problem, infact the only problem i have on my dvd version that i compiled on a "third-party cd/dvd generator", no memory isues or anything, just this cannon ball thing, weird :?
cronot

Post by cronot »

Lavos, speaking of COMI, you said earlier that the problem with it not working when it is played from cd/dvd is that (as far as I understood it) the PS2 cdvd drive can't keep up with IMUSE required timing to fetch stuff from disk, so IMUSE eventually gets unsyched and crashes.

You also said that compressing audio files helps other games a lot, exactly because of PS2's cdvd drive.

Have you tried compressing the music and speech files from COMI, using the compress_scumm_bun tool, and then playing the game from a cd or dvd disk? Theorically, according to these things you said, it should at least help, if not solving the problem.

I have just compressed my audio files from COMI (MUSDISK*.BUN and VOXDISK*.BUN), and COMI is running just fine on the Win32 port of SCUMMVM. The Music files specifically got from around 150Mb down to around 40Mb. I don't plan on burning the PS2 ScummVM port until the final version is released though (I don't have spare blank discs here right now), so I was just curious to know if you or anyone else here have tried it.

Regards!
AmigaMaster

Post by AmigaMaster »

To the problem regarding the cannon in COMI, I can fully agree to Rootboy. You can move the cannon only after you fired a cannonball and just for a few pixels to the left or right.
I tried it on a SCPH-39004 (good old one) and on a SCPH-70004 Slim PS2.
The same COMI datafiles I used for the PS2 version are playing fine using Windows ScummVM (just copied them back from the PS2 DVD) - so there is no problem with data integrity of these files.

@Firehawk:

Hm, I think (but I'm not sure) it should be enough to edit the SYSTEM.CNF file (It's a normal textfile) to contain the following:

Code: Select all

BOOT2=cdrom0:\SCUMMVM.ELF;1
VER=1.00
VMODE=NTSC
but with this edited CD/DVD, ScummVM will boot in NTSC only.
firehawk

Post by firehawk »

AmigaMaster wrote: @Firehawk:

Hm, I think (but I'm not sure) it should be enough to edit the SYSTEM.CNF file (It's a normal textfile) to contain the following:

Code: Select all

BOOT2=cdrom0:\SCUMMVM.ELF;1
VER=1.00
VMODE=NTSC
but with this edited CD/DVD, ScummVM will boot in NTSC only.
My SYSTEM.CNF looks like this:

BOOT2 = cdrom0:\SCUMMVM.ELF;1
VER = 1.10
VMODE = NTSC

It has already NTSC set.
I think the mode selection is in the source code.
Anyway, thanks for the reply. :D
AmigaMaster

Post by AmigaMaster »

cronot wrote:Have you tried compressing the music and speech files from COMI, using the compress_scumm_bun tool, and then playing the game from a cd or dvd disk? Theorically, according to these things you said, it should at least help, if not solving the problem.

I have just compressed my audio files from COMI (MUSDISK*.BUN and VOXDISK*.BUN), and COMI is running just fine on the Win32 port of SCUMMVM. The Music files specifically got from around 150Mb down to around 40Mb. I don't plan on burning the PS2 ScummVM port until the final version is released though (I don't have spare blank discs here right now), so I was just curious to know if you or anyone else here have tried it.

Regards!
I just compressed the audio files using Ogg Vorbis at first and then tried MP3 too. But it seems that with COMI the PS2 CPU power is at it's limit. Speech output is delayed (the game freezes before loading a new speech part) and often leave out a syllable during output. So far I tested it from DVD only.