Gamecube

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

boeikaas

Gamecube

Post by boeikaas »

Will scummVm ever be ported to gamecube?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Jimbob

Re: Gamecube

Post by Jimbob »

boeikaas wrote:Will scummVm ever be ported to gamecube?
I would be interested in trying to get a version up and running on the Gamecube but DON'T get too excited!!! My coding skills are pretty crap and I'm yet to get a Linux system booting on my beloved Cube. I don't know if it's possible but I would guess a version based on the recently release M-Player ISO may be possible (see www.gc-linux.org for more info).

My final year of my PhD is taking a bit of my time as well so this post may result in nothing happening at all.

Jimbob
mat69

Re: Gamecube

Post by mat69 »

Jimbob wrote:
boeikaas wrote:Will scummVm ever be ported to gamecube?
(...)
My final year of my PhD is taking a bit of my time as well so this post may result in nothing happening at all.

Jimbob
I hope that it's taking more than less, I mean real life is priority one!!!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Just a small update, I'll be trying to get Linux up and running on my Gamecube over the Christmas period. If it all goes well I'll try to compile a version of SDL for it and see how it goes.

I haven't got a clue at the moment how I'll even try to get a port of ScummVM running but there's no harm in looking into it and trying.

Jimbob
sezuan

Post by sezuan »

Hi!

I tried to compile Scummvm for the Gamecube. And it works :D
But how can I enter the savegame names? I've no keyboard attached to the Gamecube and the console from which I started Scummvm doesn't accept keystrokes...

What could I do?

[EDIT]
Solved it, I's possible to enter some charakter with the buttons.
[/EDIT]

matthias
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

sezuan wrote: I tried to compile Scummvm for the Gamecube. And it works :D
It's good to see that it compiles fine for the Gamecube. I had a bit of head scratching over Christmas trying to get Linux running on my Cube, one day I'll sort it out.

Jimbob
Trinkator

Post by Trinkator »

Sezuan, did you manage to compile scummvm for the gamecube? This sound great!! Can you please upload the necessary files and give us a brief explanation about how to run this in our gcs? That would be awesome!
elph

Post by elph »

Okay. Progress has been made. I managed to get an older version of scummvm (found at http://perso.orange.fr/gist/gamecube/gamecube.html) into a self-contained image that I am booting from an sdcard, it should work just fine from a mini-dvd as well. The only problem is that I can't enter any text, because I don't have a keyboard for my gamecube. This is a big issue since the version of scummvm that I'm using doesn't bypass copy protection on monkey island 1 or 2, which are my target games. Anyhow, if anyone is interested in working with me on a self-contained gamecube port, let me know... I've got a lot of gamecube documentation reading under my belt, so I should be able to answer preliminary questions about porting.
rodo

ScummVM 0.9.1 running on the Gamecube

Post by rodo »

Hi,

I might be new to the ScummVM forums but I have been playing the scumm games and using ScummVM for years.

Recently I managed to compile ScummVM 0.9.1 for GC-Linux and I am now polishing the last few details (controls, mp3, etc). In a few days I believe I will have a version ready for playing the games. I will post the web address where you will be able to download it here as soon as I finish the preparation.

Rodolfo
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ScummVM 0.9.1 running on the Gamecube

Post by sev »

rodo wrote:In a few days I believe I will have a version ready for playing the games. I will post the web address where you will be able to download it here as soon as I finish the preparation.
It would be really preferable if you join the Team as GC porter and thus make your port official. Then we could put it on our downloads page, you could prepare documents on Wiki on how to compile and use it, maintain compatibility list, GC port specific bugs, and of course, compile your port at the time of our release.

What do you think?

Eugene
rodo

Re: ScummVM 0.9.1 running on the Gamecube

Post by rodo »

sev wrote: It would be really preferable if you join the Team as GC porter and thus make your port official. Then we could put it on our downloads page, you could prepare documents on Wiki on how to compile and use it, maintain compatibility list, GC port specific bugs, and of course, compile your port at the time of our release.

What do you think?

Eugene
It would be great to join the team as GC porter. I’ve been developing for the Gamecube for some time now and I would be able to compile the releases for the GC and deal with all the other related tasks.

I am very keen to contribute to the ScummVM project and look forward to collaborating with you.

Rodolfo
EdDammer

Post by EdDammer »

Wow. Great news! :D
elph wrote:...I am booting from an sdcard, it should work just fine from a mini-dvd as well.
Does this mean, that you don't need any hardware hacks to get this port working on gamecube?

Does the gamecube port work on Nintendo Wii, too?
elph

Post by elph »

EdDammer wrote: Does this mean, that you don't need any hardware hacks to get this port working on gamecube?
Yes and no: it means that if you have a hard or soft-modded gamecube, you can play scummvm games on it.
EdDammer wrote: Does the gamecube port work on Nintendo Wii, too?
It should work fine in gamecube compatibility mode using an action replay + sdcard.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Just for the record, ScummVM 0.9.1 does work on GC-Linux even without compiling it for the GC. I've tried to run the "unstable" 0.9.1 PPC binary from debian.org (after updating to all those "unstable" libraries) and it works with one little problem: Hitting L1 for F5 does work on the non-Lucas games only. Lucas games don't show up anything, so you can't save which makes me really keen on your compiled version. :)

Since it seems that you chose to do a real port for the GC (which is a great thing IMHO), would you mind posting your compiled GC-Linux binary?

BTW: Here's a little screenshot, I got quite happy after I've got it running so I decided to photograph it. :)

And this is the binary I've used:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/games/scummvm