German Talkie Versions of Lucasarts Adventures?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

knatsch

German Talkie Versions of Lucasarts Adventures?

Post by knatsch »

Hello, I have recently looked several times at ebay to find german talkie versions of old Lucasarts adventures. I am not sure if I have got them all.
I also tried the forum search engine but I did not found a similar post.

In my collection are:
Sam&Max
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Monkey Island 3

Were there other (re)releases of games with german speech?
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Re: German Talkie Versions of Lucasarts Adventures?

Post by joachimeberhard »

knatsch wrote:Hello, I have recently looked several times at ebay to find german talkie versions of old Lucasarts adventures. I am not sure if I have got them all.
I also tried the forum search engine but I did not found a similar post.

In my collection are:
Sam&Max
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Monkey Island 3

Were there other (re)releases of games with german speech?
The Dig is missing, otherwise you're set! :)

In 3D there's also Grim and MI4 German.

Regards

Joachim
knatsch

Post by knatsch »

Thanks for your fast reply!
I totally forgot about Grim Fandango, I actually never played it! Nice tip :)

To bad that some of the best adventures ever made do not have a (german) talkie version.

mfg
knatsch
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Don't forget the german translations:

www.gandimann.de

So you can at least play the english talkie versions with german text.
Mirko

Re: German Talkie Versions of Lucasarts Adventures?

Post by Mirko »

knatsch wrote: Full Throttle
Hmmm... I recently bought a "german" Version of Full Throttle on Ebay. It was just the CD in the original CD-Case, no manual and no package. It says "Vollgas" (which is the german Title), whith a smaller "Full Throttle" underneath, on the CD and CD-Case Cover, but the text and speech in the Game is in english. Is this some early edition, that was released before the translation, or did they include the english text, and I just didn't find a way to switch to german?

(Well, actually i'm quite happy to have an english version, because in most cases i like the original more then the translation, but i'm just curious about what version i bought.)
clem

Post by clem »

also don't forget the german talkie of FOTAQ (not lucasarts, but at least ScummVM-supported)

clem
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hello,

there is a German Version of "The Dig" ???
clem

Post by clem »

Vorph wrote:there is a German Version of "The Dig" ???
I'd think so, eBay auctions announce it as "completely in german", and I don't think they would make an english-only version after creating german talkie versions of their earlier games

why anyone would want german versions is beyond me though, usually a lot gets lost in translation

clem
Mirko

Post by Mirko »

Yes there is a complete german version of "The Dig". I bought it some days after the above mentioned version of "Full Throttle" (which was an english version on a german version cd) - but i think clem is right, theres always a lot that is lost in translation, but i don't think it is easy to get the english versions in germany. I'd like to play the Dig in english, but i don't think it's on german ebay and i think shipping is too expensive from britain or America.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Vorph wrote:Hello,

there is a German Version of "The Dig" ???
I guess you would like it, especially the two main characters Boston Low (Christian Rode, the German voice of Walter Donovan in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade") and Maggie Robbins (Franziska Pigulla, the German voice of Dana Scully in "The X-Files") are perfectly cast.
Mirko

Post by Mirko »

Laserschwert wrote:Franziska Pigulla, the German voice of Dana Scully in "The X-Files"
She also did the german Voice for Nicole Collard in the Broken Sword Games (at least in the first three). I really like her voice acting.
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Does Brink have his accent in the german version?

And hey I didn't know that the german version is cast with these great voice actors.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

SithlordDK wrote:Does Brink have his accent in the german version?

And hey I didn't know that the german version is cast with these great voice actors.
No, Brink doesn't have an accent... why would he? A German with a German accent?

By the way, all German LucasArts-talkies got great voice casting. Ben from Full Throttle is voiced by Tilo Schmitz, who basically voices every big black guy in most movies (especially Michael Clark Duncan, Ving Rhames, and "President David Palmer" in "24"). Max from "Hit the Road" got Sandra Schwittau (Bart Simpson's German voice) just as Maureen in Full Throttle (she CAN sound very feminine if she wants to).

And right now a lot of adventure games are coming out, and finally most German publishers have realized how important a good localization is. Some highlights were David Nathan (Johnny Depp's German voice) in "Black Mirror", Matthias Hinze (Matt Damon) in "Nibiru", Oliver Rohrbeck (Ben Stiller) in "Ankh" and Manfred Lehmann together with Daniela Hoffmann (Bruce Willis and Julia Roberts) in "Moment of Silence".

I guess since audiobooks read by popular voice actors are really booming in Germany right now, publishers try to bring this factor into dialogue-heavy adventure games (with great success, I must say). I still lament the fact that German talkies weren't the common thing back when "Fate of Atlantis" got its talkie version. Having Wolfgang Pampel (Harrison Ford's German voice since "Star Wars") as Indy in such a dialogue-dependent game would've been the ultimate atmosphere-bonus. He's voiced Indy in all the following games, but those were all action-games with not very much for him to say...
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Oh yeah... Wolfgang Pampel is my favourite Voice-Actor. Oh man I would love to hear him and Christin Marquitan in an Adventure (OK there is one Adventure where Wolfgang Pampel speaks the main Character, but the game sux :) )
jamyskis

Post by jamyskis »

The Curse of Monkey Island in German was done really well, and is worth seeing if you speak German even if it's not your native language.

I'm half-German, half-British so I speak both, and by a concidence I have both versions of the game as bought Curse in England before buying the LucasArts Adventure Pack here in Germany.