Adding a directory structure to ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Adding a directory structure to ScummVM?

Post by spookypeanut »

I'm interested as to whether people think this would be useful: the ability to divide games up into "directories" within ScummVM. I feel that it would be useful. I have 15 games, and ridiculous numbers of demos (I like to collect them...), so I have two separate config files, one for games and one for demos. It would be nice though, to be able to jump between the two.

I've been trying to think of a mechanism by which it would work, without being too hard to implement. It could be a menu item (not one that can be created from the gui, only by entering it into a config file), which jumps you to a different config file. That way, if people wanted to have a (fake) directory like structure, they could set one up.

Does this sound like something that would be useful?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

My view is that this extra complexity in the user interface would be a no improvement for the majority (95+%) of all users (or even a *drawback* considering it makes the interfaces more complex). On the other hand, the "improvement" it grants to the remaining few users is rather small. For this reason, I have rejected similar requests in the past. But in the end, feel free to post such a request on our feature request tracker -- but be warned, it's unlikely to be fulfilled.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

I had a similar idea once, how about something like "sections" or "groups", as in this mockup:

Would that be feasible? Or also too complex? Of course there'd be the need for more config options ("configure groups", probably as a tab in the "options" menu), and an additional dropdown box ("put game into which group?") for the game config. But IMHO it's not as complex (UI-wise) than a tree- or directory- structure....
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Dark-Star wrote: Would that be feasible? Or also too complex?
As for me, it looks nice and not that complex. I myself could suffer from it, owning more than hundred just HE games, all 27 variants of ITE, etc. Just I don't use launcher to start ScummVM :).

However, separate ini file per category is wrong approach. Feasible approach would be this:

Code: Select all

[ite-demo]
gameid=ite
group=demos

# Groups are numbered in order of appearance
[groups]
group1=bass
group1desc=Beneath a Steel Sky
group1state=closed
group2=demos
group2desc=Demos and Previews
group2state=opened

Eugene
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The main complexity as I see it lies in the code / UI design needed to *manage* those groups. I.e. we either end up with a system where it's difficult to add things to groups, resp. move it; or we end up spending a lot of time implementing drag&drop between groups, etc.
We'd also have to implement a (simple) tree view, and various other things.

It certainly *is* possible, but personally I'd really prefer if we put all that man power required for this to fix some of the more essential problems we have, like bugs, the lack of a user manual, existing UI flaws, etc.

But of course, if somebody is willing to spend days and weeks on this, we can discuss it. But I have some strong views on how this should *not* be done, interface wise, so that person would have to cope with those... :)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Here is my little aportation to original Dark-Star idea...

Of course, each engine directory is a real one. This can be useful for different user configurations, like a DEMO directory.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Here is the v2 version:

timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Just two more mockups, I stop annonying people with my bad graphic skills.

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

About the last two: the "+" on the left of the bar usually means that new items will pop out BELOW it (like a tree). It doesn't make sense to click on something with a "+" next to it and have new information displayed to you on another pane. A more intuitive way to display this would be to show some kind of arrow to the right of the bar, which will point to the right, or some sort of icon to make it different from the other expanding nodes
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

md5 wrote:About the last two: the "+" on the left of the bar usually means that new items will pop out BELOW it (like a tree). It doesn't make sense to click on something with a "+" next to it and have new information displayed to you on another pane. A more intuitive way to display this would be to show some kind of arrow to the right of the bar, which will point to the right, or some sort of icon to make it different from the other expanding nodes
Thanks a lot for your suggestion, a friend will help me to making the mockup less sucky and better ;)
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

I'd like to throw in a vote saying that this seems like a lot of extra work for something that only makes it look messier in my opinion.

I agree with Fingolfin that 95 percent of the users out there wont benefit from this. I doubt many people care what engine runs the game, let alone want to sort by engine.

I did like the aspect of each game being listed once however, with a plus to expand multiple versions/languages/os's etc for each game. That at least cleans the list up a bit. So far i have avoided adding other versions of each game to my ini file simply to avoid this double listing.
fac

Post by fac »

I also have a sugestion. I may not be the best one, but it should be less complex then the previous sugestions.

Here it is:
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

This is a feature I'd really like to see myself. Or at least a basic way of organizing games (a 'Move Up/Move Down' button would be enough).
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

To repeat and emphasize what exofreeze said:

"I doubt many people care what engine runs the game, let alone want to sort by engine."

That's it! I believe that only geeks (=crazy collections) want to do that -- think about it, when you want to play a game, do you go about it like this: "Hm, should I play a SCUMM or an AGOS game now..."? I strongly doubt that many people do that, if any at all. I certainly don't. So, IMO, sorting by engine makes no sense when you think about it for a bit.

The only kind of grouping suggested here so far that in my eyes has at least some merit is the idea of grouping variants of a game (if you have multiple versions of Monkey Island, for instance).
But even that only affects a relatively small percentage of users -- mostly collectors, some nerds and ScummVM devs will have many different versions of a single game.

To sum it up, what I have seen here so far seems to me like a bad solution for a problem the majority of our users does not even have... :-). But of course, that's just my two cents, I might be wrong.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Maybe the latest mockup is nice, but changing engines by companies. Optionally, it can be given some flexibility to users making it's own custom themes with all the nerdy & geeky stuff on it 8)

Geeks and nerds seems to be important in the ScummVM user percecentage (at least they seems to collabore more sending bugs), I think. Are developers into the geek/nerd category? ;)

Please don't ignore the geeks/nerds! I myself think sometimes about what engine uses the game to run before the name, must I be afraid? :oops:

Here is another try to expressing a concept for GUI: