S80 issues

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

9500user

S80 issues

Post by 9500user »

My 9500's joystick does not work with the game. SCUMMVM thinks the keys are the joypad.

The action key is mapped wrongly to the side window keys instead of the joystick action key.

Hope these small bugs can be fixed. :)

Thanks for the effort and the program.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Default behaviour

Post by Anotherguest »

is that the the cursor/joystick is working as a joymouse. You can switch this behaviour to cursor keys (pressing one of the sidekeys). Re-defining the cursor/joystick actions, will force you to use the joystick in cursor mode. Also if you are running in cursor mode, your "joystick" and keys will not work as joystick button (which is used as mousebuttons).
9500user

Post by 9500user »

Yep, I tried switching to cursor keys, but after doing that, no keys respond to anything. :(
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Next step is to make the keyconfig in sdl more dynamic

Post by Anotherguest »

Hannu V. has made this in his , yet unreleased SDL code, so I can't use that yet. That woudl enable every user to decide how his/hers keys would be remapped. Had you made any remapping of keys before you switched to cursor mode? Have you tried to map left mousebutton to any other key?!
jg

Post by jg »

I had the same problem. If you go into Save/Load (* on my phone) -> Options -> Keys (or Options -> Paths -> Keys from the menu), you'll see that Up Down Left and Right are mapped to none. This means that when you switch to cursor mode, you suddenly can't move around. In future releases, I hope this is changed so the default mappings are something useful. You can do what I did to solve that, but keep in mind that I'm using a S60 phone, so I'm not sure if everything will work exactly the same. Also bear in mind that this was all done in landscape mode, so my "press right on the joystick" actually means down in portrait mode. Not sure if it this method would work in portrait.
  1. Go into the Key mapping dialog.
  2. Map "Left click" to a numeric key. I chose 1.
  3. Select the "Up" action and place the mouse cursor over the "Map" button as if you're about to remap the "Up" action.
  4. Switch to cursor mode by pressing the Pen/ABC button twice.
  5. Now click on the "Map" button using the key you mapped earlier (1).
  6. Press up on the joystick to map "Up".
  7. Press right on the joystick to get to the next action. (Because apparently the cursor buttons can be used to move around in a list.)
  8. Click "Map" and map "Down" to down on the joystick.
  9. Press right to get to the next action.
  10. Map "Left" to left on the joysick.
  11. Press right.
  12. Map "Right" to right on the joystick.
Done! Now you can remap "Left click" and "Right click" however you see fit. (Lucky thing the list doesn't say "Up Left Right Down"; that would complicate matters immensely.)

Hmm... Just realized that S80 is a landscape oriented OS. I hope you can solve this anyway, you'll just have to think a bit so you don't lose the ability to move forward in the list.
Last edited by jg on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Well what you can do

Post by Anotherguest »

Go to the keys config (actually I am using the joystick because the ScummVM joystick support is pretty good), select the up you want to remap.. Now switch to cursor.. and press up. But since the joystick is already used for navigation, using the the "joystick" as cursor keys will just confuse things. It is already used for listview navigation for example.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

The dynamic key config is the way to go I think :-)

Post by Anotherguest »

And I guess you can share ini files once you have done it. Actually you can do all the additional editing in the ini file if you want once you know what kind of config you want.
jg

Re: Well what you can do

Post by jg »

Anotherguest wrote:Now switch to cursor..
And thereby setting the "Up" mapping to none, because the Pen/ABC keypress is registered, but not understood. At least on my phone.
Last edited by jg on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Ahhyes that can be true

Post by Anotherguest »

I would suggest editing the keymapping in the ini file. And more suggestions for needed keymappings. And I think moving the screen changes from 1.2.3 is the best. And then to assign them to a better key config.

And of course a good suggestion for a good default key config. In the first versions I had a default ini file which had to go with each release. And without it, you did n't have any key handling at all. So there is a bit of default handling needed to get it running.

And remember it should work for all kinds of S60 devices.. its easier for S80/S90 devices because they dont have that many choices.. Well S80 have a whole keyboard.. So thats should be lots of options available.
jg

Post by jg »

INI editing would be a good strategy, but I can't understand any of the key codes in the INI. And it's just a string of values, so I don't know which is which.

I remapped my keys so that they're really Up -> up, Down -> down etc, so now I can play in portrait mode (although I haven't tried it out much yet). Here's the resulting INI values:

Code: Select all

[symbian]
action_mapping=0111 0112 0114 0113 000d 002e 002a 0023 0030 0000 0000 0000 0020 0000 
action_mapping_version=6
All I really need is a way to move scrolling and flipping away from 1, 2, 3. So if you introduce them as actions in the keymapping dialog, I could play every game perfectly in portrait mode + cursor mode + horizontal scroll (1) moved to right soft key (space/F2).
9500user

Post by 9500user »

Thanks guys, but unfortunately, key mapping does not exist as an option on the S80 or I can't find it.

Pressing * via the 9500 keyboard yields no result. :(
jg

Post by jg »

Hm?! How do you get to the Save/Load screen to Save, Load or exit a game?

Unless you're trying * from the main menu. From there, instead go to Options -> Paths -> Keys for the key mappings.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Key mapping is a part

Post by Anotherguest »

of the ScummVM options .. So Options on the main menu -> Then the paths tab.. and there you should have a keys button.. Press that and you are on the Keys configuration page.

As for the 1,2,3 they are SDL specific and very device specific, where as I am keeping a very non-device specific backend on the ScummVM side. So I can do as many keymappings as I wish regarding games on the scummvm side.. And device specific parts in the SDL port for each target.

So I need a way to separate the two. So first of all I need to only use special keys for special things, i.e not 1.2.3 in the first instance.. 0 is ok , that is what ce is using. Så for example the 'C' button could open a small SDL menu perhaps.. Even if I have to go to the main SDL main loop to get around that.

Just getting ScummVM to run.. that is not the biggest thing. Making it playable is.. specially when ScummVM dont like big hacks within the main scummvm engine for each device. But Symbian has its own backend.. And one for symbian is enough. :-)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

'*' Is F5 on S60 devices

Post by Anotherguest »

And I am using the menu button on S80 devices as the F5 /Saveload key.

So in-game '*' on S60 should do the same thing as menu on S80.
jg

Post by jg »

Some suggestions:

Use Pen/ABC as a control key

I've seen several Symbian apps do this, so I guess it should be possible. Use Pen + Numpad for system commands specific to EScummVM. In addition, holding down Pen/ABC should result in numpad signals not being relayed to ScummVM games. That way, you still have 9 keys to use for scrolling, flipping, and cursor modes, and they're still available for use in ScummVM games.

For example, Pen + 3 would be vertical flip, and in this case the 3 is NOT relayed to ScummVM. Pressing only 3 would switch to Laverne in Day of the Tentacle, or choose the 3rd dialog option; whatever the game wants.

Switch the cursor keys in landscape mode + cursor mode

Right now, I have the mappings Up -> Up, Down -> Down, etc. This seems ideal for a default cursor mode mapping, but it only works in portrait mode. If possible, I'd like EScummVM to correct the cursor keys when in landscape mode. This would make cursor mode much more useful.

For example, if I've set it to left-handed landscape mode (keypad to the left of the screen) a "right" on the joystick should generate a "cursor key up" signal for ScummVM.