Quest for Glory series

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ayjona

Quest for Glory series

Post by Ayjona »

Are there any plans (current, farflung, or even galaxially distant) to add support for the Quest for Glory series to ScummVM?

Though I am a Monkey Island fanboy first and foremost, QfG is the game series that has captured me the most. To be able to play them grand adventures again (I still have a copy of QfG 1 and QfG 5 lying about) would be truly... glorious.

I've no idea if it is even possible (I have little insight into what it takes to Scumm a game, in terms of coding, copyright issues, etc), but I will hold my hopes high. Thanks for a unique project, Scumm people.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Quest for Glory series

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Ayjona wrote:Are there any plans (current, farflung, or even galaxially distant) to add support for the Quest for Glory series to ScummVM?
I think it's more likely that FreeSCI will support them eventually. There isn't much sense in us trying to duplicate their work.

They do list Hero's Quest / Quest for Glory 1 as one of their supported games, though I would guess that it's the original 1989 version, not the 1991 re-make.
dreamkin

Post by dreamkin »

I can confirm that FreeSCI supports the SCI0 version of Quest for Glory (formerly known as Hero's Quest). It's even able to make some significant graphical upgrades.

However it is far from perfect. Also, it is next to impossible to find a Win32 build of FreeSCI. So if you are running windows, you'll have to ask someone for a Win32 build or compile it yourself.

I never used the Windows version myself. My experience is limited to the Linux version. I hear the Windows version is very buggy.

Now that AGI is being integrated into ScummVM, one can only hope FreeSCI dies too and gets integrated into ScummVM for the good of everyone. (sorry FreeSCI crew, honest thoughts here, nothing personal)
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

dreamkin wrote:Now that AGI is being integrated into ScummVM, one can only hope FreeSCI dies too and gets integrated into ScummVM for the good of everyone. (sorry FreeSCI crew, honest thoughts here, nothing personal)
Those are cruel thoughts :? A project doesn't need to be dead to be able to be integrated into ScummVM. All that's needed is agreement from the two involved parts, and someone willing to do the migration work.

A few weeks ago me and some friends talked with the FreeSCI people to consider it for inclusion in ScummVM. We would like to try to do the migration work, while trying to improve it (where we can). A very important thing is that the FreeSCI people should feel confortable with the migration, so they could continue their work in this new place, instead of causing a fork.

There are a few legal issues that we should talk about with the ScummVM team (FreeSCI is based on a clean-room approach, and they don't want to depend on non-clean code, so they all can continue working on it).

Currently we're busy with our studies, but we're willing to try to do it while working with both ScummVM and FreeSCI people. I hope to be able to dedicate more hours to it after Christmas.

Anyway, it's a mid/long-term project, so don't expect SCI support in ScummVM in the next near months.

Any comment will be welcome!
KevinW

Post by KevinW »

If both teams agree, I think that would be a great idea! It sure would accelerate things for SCI to work in Windows enviroments (without considering Dosbox here), plus the basic scummvm code as well as scalers and sound drivers could probably be used, which would save time. Although I've read somewhere that there were some legal issues to be solved with Sierra Games, is that so?
dreamkin

Post by dreamkin »

I agree. Perhaps I was being cruel yeah. Sorry for that. It was more of am "if that's what it takes..." approach.

But yeah. You're right. People have already been more than cruel and unfair towards the FreeSCI team. No need to add to that.

What can I say.. I am an emotional person. :oops: Sorry again :)
madshi

Post by madshi »

jvprat wrote:Any comment will be welcome!
Just let me say that I appreciate any time you can spend on this. Thanks!