NEW LANGUAGE to Monkey ISLAND

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

paprik

NEW LANGUAGE to Monkey ISLAND

Post by paprik »

HI everyone...

How can I put other languages to Monkey Island?? for example, I found all texts in Monkey Island I and took them out to translate...but I cant put them back into it with new language..

Can somebody help me, please! I want to translate it to different languages, thank you

Pat

(I am that one,who makes remake of Monkey Island I on scummbar.com)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

This is out of ScummVM scope. There are several translation teams for different laguages, so better to head there. Besides, MI1 has lots of English subtle puns, so it would be not an easy task from language point of view.

Eugene
paprik

hi again

Post by paprik »

I and my friend..he is a programmer just found way how to translate it a put it back into it... so, lucky me... and lets do it in czech language and after that follows Monkey Island II etc...

anyway, if you know any other way or you have any experiences with this, let me know,please

thanks Pat
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

There are tools which can help translating SCUMM games:
http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/
Maybe the Lucashacks Forum would be a better site to discuss this matter.
moneytoo

Post by moneytoo »

Czech translation would be great. :wink:
paprik

hello

Post by paprik »

I have got next problem, so I need help... I have two versions of Monkey Island I .. first CD version has MP3 files and second CD version has OGG files ... Both versions doenst work with scummVM If I put new language into it, and work only with monkey.exe but without sound. When I use scummVM it will show me dialog missing LFL... but Cd versions doesnt have any LFL ,for import and export of text I use scummtr .. Can somebody help me?? please
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

PLEASE read the forum rules:

0) No Warez.

7) No cross posting. Post your message once, to the appropriate forum and nowhere else or it will be locked or deleted without warning.

See:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=353
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Although there's a slim chance I misunderstood you.

Did you mean you made yourself those two versions of your original CD?
R4Zi3L

Post by R4Zi3L »

moneytoo wrote:Czech translation would be great. :wink:
Polish translation too :D
cpt. wesker

Post by cpt. wesker »

i was working on the croatian version of monkey island 2 with the tools mentioned earlier. i was about 70% finished, but i gave up and started doing something else. i fixed the font to have C with caron (Č, č), C with acute (Ć,ć), D with stroke (Đ, đ), S with caron (Š, š), Z with caron (Ž, ž) replacing some symbols that aren't used so often. one of the biggest problems were cases which change the ending of a noun at the end under some circumstance in a specific set of words (i'm almost sure you got these in polish and czech).
the translations of course, without saying are a way to modify a little bit of the game which you might own, or at least we can asume that you all legaly own, warezing is unacceptable.

Slavs unite!!!
Last edited by cpt. wesker on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
cpt. wesker

Post by cpt. wesker »

what do you all think about the matter?
clem

Post by clem »

I think translating some things is a pain in the ass if the engine isn't supposed to take grammar into account.

take for example:
(English) "go to house"
(German) "gehe zu Haus"

that's not proper German - it needs to be either "gehe zum Haus" or "gehe zu dem Haus" and it still sounds awkward...

"go to woman" wouldn't be "gehe zum Frau" but "gehe zur Frau" - so you have to take grammatical gender into account... oh well

clem

PS: they stuck with awkward stuff like "gehe zu Haus" in the official SCUMM games
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote:PS: they stuck with awkward stuff like "gehe zu Haus" in the official SCUMM games
Heh. I can almost hear John Cleese's voice from Life of Brian: "What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?" :)