BASS corrupt disc?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muyfa666

BASS corrupt disc?

Post by Muyfa666 »

Hi there.

I have the BASS original CD, and when I try to copy the files to HDD it gives me this message:

"Can not copy INSTALL.EXE. Disc structure is corrupt and can not be read."

This message goes for all the files on the disc. I tried my friends disc (also original disc) and it gives the exact same message on his computer. This led to believe that there is something with Windows that collides with the BASS-disc.

Anyone have a clue what causes this and how to fix it (if possible)?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Strange.
I never had this issue with any of my original BASS CDs.

Which release of the game is this?
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

It's the original release, not the re-release i think.

It's really strange it happens with 2 different copies on 2 different machines.
Pogo{

Post by Pogo{ »

I remember having the exact same problem on my old original version (not sold-out). I can't find the cd now so i cannot confirm it, but as far as i recall it worked fine on my old comp running DOS, but not on my newer one which ran windows 95/98.

Interesting to hear this as i thought my disc had just gotten scratched or something...
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

I'm basically screwed then?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Muyfa666 wrote:I'm basically screwed then?
Depends on what you mean by screwed. The game can, after all, be downloaded for free, thanks to the good people at Revolution Software.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Yes u are right, but it would be nice to have the original CD working. Oh well.
clem

Post by clem »

probably the CD drive is too fast? I remember a similar problem ages ago, but I'm not sure if that solved it...
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

Perhaps ISOBuster would work better?
http://www.isobuster.com/
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

I bought another copy off ebay, and while it really looks like a pirate-copy, it works. I think it's the italian release (the manual is in italian) but since the game is multi-language it's working fine.
clem

Post by clem »

Muyfa666 wrote:I bought another copy off ebay, and while it really looks like a pirate-copy, it works. I think it's the italian release (the manual is in italian) but since the game is multi-language it's working fine.
an italian manual - interesting! Is there any way I could buy that off you? (assuming it's that kind of CD booklet that came with my german version)
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Do you want to buy just the booklet? I guess that's no problem, but I want to keep the disc since it's working.
clem

Post by clem »

Muyfa666 wrote:Do you want to buy just the booklet? I guess that's no problem, but I want to keep the disc since it's working.
if possible I want to either buy it off you or get scans of it.

I don't really speak italian, but I did online versions of the manual (you can read them at http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/ ... index.html ) - afaik doing that should be legal since the game is freeware too - at least noone complained yet :)
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Yea, that does indeed sounds like it would be legal.

I can make some nice scans for you, that's probably the easiest way.

Since you seem to be interested in BASS, please tell, do you have a copy of the floppy manual? It's way more pages in that (partly because of the floppy copy protection) and I've been hunting it for quite some time. A nice scan of it would ring my bell. Since also the floppy version is released as freeware it should pose no legal problems.
[vEX]
ScummVM Webmaster

Post by [vEX] »

Though you seem to have resolved your problem I'll state how I solved it incase anyone else with the same problem reads this thread.

I fired DOSBox up, mounted the CD-ROM and copied the contents over to C:\ (being mapped to my D:\Games folder) and then used Windows Explorer to move the files into the ScummVM/Games folder.

I think it's something about Windows XP and the copy protection not playing well together.