ScummVM Turns 5 Years Old

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

What game(s) would you like to be supported by ScummVM?

Discworld 1 and 2
48%
SCI Games
33%
Toonstruck
16%
Other Awesome 2D Adventure Games (You could post a reply on this)
3%

Total votes: 58

clone2727
Retired

ScummVM Turns 5 Years Old

Post by clone2727 »

On the 5th of October, 2006, ScummVM has turned 5 years old.

Also, today, there was supposed to be a coup where JavacatVM takes over ScummVM, but that failed.

I would just like to say Happy Birthday to ScummVM! And, may there be many more years of ScummVM! :P
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Nice news!

I hope we will see some news on the main page and some information about the "paypal sucks" soon too.

http://logs.scummvm.org/log.php?log=scu ... .22Sep2006
LOL

Does it is Javacat the official Java fanatic troll of the channel? ;)

Another nice news could be releasing HorrorSoft's Personal Nighmare as freeware, in the style of Revolution Software (Lure of the Tempress) and Interactive Binary Illusions (Flight of the Amazon Queen). This HorrorSoft game title is impossible to find in original form and sadly it seems quite unknown too.

About the poll: I'm a mad adventure game fanatic and want ALL THEM. Please add the ALL option ;)
clem

Post by clem »

not sure what the point of this poll is - do you think some dev will think "yay, everyone wants that game, I'll reverse engineer that instead of the game I'm interested in myself" ?
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Not in that case, but maybe a developer wants to reverse various games and with this kind of polls he will know the users' opinions.

In a project like ScummVM, is good to know what the user wants and sometimes is nice asigning more priority to the stuff the user wants more :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

The Madventurer wrote:In a project like ScummVM, is good to know what the user wants and sometimes is nice asigning more priority to the stuff the user wants more :)
I didn't realize we had enough developers to be able to assign priorities. For most of the game engines, it seems to be a case of either the one or two developers working on it have the time to do it, or they don't.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
The Madventurer wrote:In a project like ScummVM, is good to know what the user wants and sometimes is nice asigning more priority to the stuff the user wants more :)
I didn't realize we had enough developers to be able to assign priorities. For most of the game engines, it seems to be a case of either the one or two developers working on it have the time to do it, or they don't.
Yes, sadly that's one of the ScummVM problems actually. The number of developers and the activity is reduced considerably in this year, it seems is quite necessary to attract more active developers to the project :(
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

I found a spanish site mentioning this (in spanish) and the current donation problem too: http://dciberia.net/tiki-read_article.p ... mzone=show
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The "Donation problem" really isn't such a problem. I am one of the main developers and I have never seen a single cent of our the donation money. And I think it's the same for many other developers.
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

For me, Kingdom Of Magic, would be an awesome addition. The code is being worked on, which is beyond good news. I hope it continues to progress well. I just could never ascend to the level of knowledge needed to contribute, but I will be ready to beta test the engine thoroughly.
Laskov

Post by Laskov »

Discworld 1 and 2 work best on windows 2000/Xp (Discworld I work with sound with Dosbox and discworld II no require any other software to work the only problem if this game work only to the root on C directory)

Your software will be probably the first to support Toonstruck on machines using another thing that Windows98 :(
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Windows users must understand that there are people that not use the Microsoft operating system, specially certain Mac and Linux users. It can be difficult to understand for those people, but it occours.

ScummVM is a great opportunity for playing our loved adventure games on a wide variety of platforms, not only as an app for playing games if not runs on Windows XP or DosBOX.

Despite of most people in the world using the crap operating system from Microsoft, most ScummVM developers are Linux users.
Mim

Post by Mim »

Laskov wrote:Discworld 1 and 2 work best on windows 2000/Xp (Discworld I work with sound with Dosbox and discworld II no require any other software to work the only problem if this game work only to the root on C directory) Your software will be probably the first to support Toonstruck on machines using another thing that Windows98
Discworld 1 works with DOSBox or VDMSound in XP. Discworld 2 has both Windows and DOS installations. The Windows version doesn´t work in Windows XP (even in the root of C directory). The DOS version works with DOSBox and it needs rather complicated setup without it.
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.p ... ld&start=0
Toonstruck also works in DOSBox.
kedest83

Post by kedest83 »

fingolfin wrote:The "Donation problem" really isn't such a problem. I am one of the main developers and I have never seen a single cent of our the donation money. And I think it's the same for many other developers.
then who gets the money?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

kedest83 wrote:then who gets the money?
So far the money were used to buy several games. There are not that much of them, just see project page on sf.net who and when donated some. That's why it is not the big issue., we never had plenty of donations. However, several hundreds bucks to buy Interactive Disassembler wouldn't hurt.

Eugene