Monkey Island 2 crashing on Nokia E61

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

razorbee

Monkey Island 2 crashing on Nokia E61

Post by razorbee »

Hi there!

I always adored Lucas Arts Games and can't believe that I am actually able to play them on my Series 60 v 3 cellphone.
Its working flawless and I love it. Thanks alot for this awesome application. I finished Monkey Island 1 and it brought up great memories.

But I just encountered a little problem:

I'm curently playing the english DOS-version of Monkey Island 2 on ScummVM 0.9.0 for Symbian OS Series 60v3.

For those who know the game: I am on Booty Island and the map part I am hunting for just flew off the Gouvernors Mansion and is stuck on a cliff. Every time I try to get it with my fishing rod or just walk to the very end of the cliff - the whole application is crashing.
Is this a known Problem?

I have a savegame for this situation and could send it via email to everyone who wants to try it.

My Nokia E61 has a german keyboard layout and runs on firmware version 2.0618.06.05, but I hope thats not the reason why ScummVM is crashing.

Should I try other builds from the CVS?
razorbee

Post by razorbee »

fantastic - I just encountered another situation where ScummVM for symbian is crashing while emulating monkey island 2...

I am trying to dive for the big monkey head that gets me another piece of the map and shortly after jumping into the water, when the screen is supposed to scroll down and follow guybrush, the screen is returning to stanyby and the application is being closed.

Sad...
But I've got a savegame of this situation too, if anyone is interested...
clem

Post by clem »

the common thing at these two points is the vertical scrolling and I think I remember a "scroll bug" on the forums (might have been another port though)
razorbee

Post by razorbee »

uh jeah sorry i thought i looked for similar posts but I missed those.

Its only a bug on the PSP and Symbian Ports who are not using an "grabRawScreen()"-implementation as this last post sais.

still sad I hope its possible to fix that.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. since Symbian IS using the Scummvm SDL port, and that in it self implements grabrawscreen, by allocating a screenbuffer, it should n't be the symbian by it self.

But its problably an issue of getting out of memory when allocating that backbuffer. I'm raising the max heap size for the next versions of Scummvm to 64MB for all ports, which should be enough for most games. Before that limit has been 16 mb.. and resource allocation seems to be abit different between different phones.
razorbee

Post by razorbee »

So theoretically there should be no problems in these selected situations as there are none on other portations and its maybe an out of memory issue - well but 16mb heap sounds plenty in my ears and where should a mobile phone get as much as 64mb available memory from...

is there a way to activate some kind of debug mode (or even console) as on the pc version of scummvm to figure out what exactly caused crashes? or are there any debug logs written automatically?
goetz

Post by goetz »

@razorbee: Have you tried the latest SVN build from http://anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds/? The problem should have been fixed in that release.

I tried the map and cliff scene of MI2 with the scummvm-060917-SymbianS60v3_scumm.sis build on my E60 (which has a even bigger screen resolution than your E61) and unlike ScummVM 0.9.0 it did not crash.

Ok, the vertical scrolling looks a bit strange, but then the game continues normally. I was able to recover the map just to have that bird fly by and pick it up from the rod. :)

So, try that build and see if it works.

- Goetz
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. scummvm is rather generally implemented, and in my opinion mostly targetet for PC devices, and thus memory requirements has not been taken in great concideration.

I have been running FT on my PC in a S60 emulator, and in game, the game has allocated 21 MB, and further scenes might allocate even more. Now the older the game is, of course less memory requirements are.

And its a memory limit that has been set, so that means that in older release only 16 mb would be allocated for Scummvm even if more was available.
razorbee

Post by razorbee »

Gee, what can I say?

I havent tried the latest build but its good to know that the crash problem is resolved - but i read about other known issues concerning different games played using this build, which is pretty sad and keeps me from trying it.

Its possible to skip the scenes, that cause the crash by pushing the '#'-Button, which makes it not that big a deal at all.

thanks anyways.
zod

Post by zod »

Seems that this bug still exists:(
I'm using v0.9.1 (24.10.06) on S80 (N9500)
Already completed dott, mi1, bass, fotaq, gobliiins and indy3 without any problems.
Remembered one more problem - when 'low battery' warning appears, entire phone hangs. only solution is to remove battery. and this happened at least 5 times already.
siege

Post by siege »

zod wrote:Seems that this bug still exists:(
I'm using v0.9.1 (24.10.06) on S80 (N9500)
Yes the vertical scrolling bug still exists in the newest official release. I have it on my m600i, also using v0.9.1. I also tried v060726 with same result. Version 0.10.0 from 060917 (http://anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds/) does however not crash.

You should use the older 060917 build, instead of the newer v0.9.1.