New Sierra games collections

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adventureguy

New Sierra games collections

Post by Adventureguy »

Hello, everyone.
Some of you might have heard about rumors of new re-releases of the old sierra adventuregame classics like the King's Quest series, the Space Quest series, Leisure Suit Larry, etc. by Vivendi Universal Games
Now those rumors seem to have come true: King's Quest Collection (KQ8 missing) , Space Quest Collection , Police Quest Collection and Leisure Suit Larry Collection (LSL7 missing... and LSL4, of course :lol: ) .
I think they are selling each collection for 20$ and should run "on" WinXP. But I think I've read here that Vivendi used DOSBox to make those games run on WinXP. Other Sierra games aren't sold as part of a collection yet.

Well, what do you say about this? At last those classics are being sold again. If only LucasArts would do the same for their classic adventure games...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Sigh. Now I need to find a way to obtain SQ, KQ and LSL collections.

Eugene
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

But, are they the SCI or AGI versions of KQ1, KQ4, SQ1, LSL1, and PQ1?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clone2727 wrote:But, are they the SCI or AGI versions of KQ1, KQ4, SQ1, LSL1, and PQ1?
I think I read somewhere in this thread that at least Space Quest 1 was the SCI version only. But there are too many posts for me to be bothered to look up the exact one right now. With any luck, I should be able to find out first hand in a few weeks anyway.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

More details at Vogons. The games use DOSBox (0.63!).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Kaminari wrote:More details at Vogons. The games use DOSBox (0.63!).
0.63? Did they manufacture them before 0.65?
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

I got all the sierra collections in the other day. Basically, the KQ collection is KQ1 VGA (SCI), KQ2 (AGI - never was an SCI), KQ3 (AGI), KQ4 (SCI), KQ5 CD, KQ6 CD, and KQ7.

You do not get KQ8, other language versions (such as the german kq6 or french kq5). The manuals are in PDF format - BOOOOO. And the cd's come in cheap slipcovers - no jewel case.

All the games run fine on my system (although the firecracker error in KQ7 is still present). It has an automated DOSBox loader built into it.

It's the same for the other collections - the first game is the VGA re-release (if there was one), and generally they went with the most recent release of each version of each game.

Its worth noting the Larry Collection is lacking LL7 - which is ridiculous.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

exofreeze wrote:It's the same for the other collections - the first game is the VGA re-release (if there was one), and generally they went with the most recent release of each version of each game.
That's what I was afraid of...
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

to me the agi versions had more atmosphere than the sci vga remakes :(
shame they shipping the vga sq1.. at least sq2 is agi :)
Laskov

Post by Laskov »

If possible to put the support of Leisure suit Larry 7 Love for sail (Drague en haute mer in the French version)

the game is great but if not working into Windows 2000 :cry:

Of course i am interresed for the sierra Space Quest collector... I am played the five chapter and the six chapter into this origan release for Msdos system :)

Sorry for my very badly english i am french :)