Alter Ego for PSP?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr.Denny

Alter Ego for PSP?

Post by Mr.Denny »

Any chance you guys could port Alter Ego which appeared on DOS, Mac OS and C64?

It`s a wonderful game that while only text lets you live a life. You start in the womb and go through a life of choices until you eventual death.

Will you become rich? live a life of hate? or die an untimely death?

-------------------removed ;)

Seeing that you guys ported games such as Broken Sword i`d imagine this would be a walk in the park. But i`ve spoken with many PSP owners who have your wonderful emulator and this is on top of their list.

Granted it isn`t a 2D click adventure but it feels very much in line with games like Broken sword. Think of it as a "Choose your own adventure" book in a game. :)
Last edited by Mr.Denny on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Re: Alter Ego for PSP?

Post by clem »

Mr.Denny wrote:Seeing that you guys ported games such as Broken Sword i`d imagine this would be a walk in the park.
it's harder than you think
the ScummVM team had the original sourcecode for Broken Sword; just look at Lure progress in ScummVM to see how painstaking reverse engineering can be

on another note, that page offers the game for download - is that legal?
Mr.Denny

Post by Mr.Denny »

First off, not being a coder myself i wouldn`t know how hard it would be. Still, i can appreciate that it isn`t an easy job.

Also, i believe it is legal seeing that even websites recreated the game in HTML. Plus, it`s a VERY old game so i wouldn`t think there would be much legal jargon to sneak by.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mr.Denny wrote:Also, i believe it is legal seeing that even websites recreated the game in HTML. Plus, it`s a VERY old game so i wouldn`t think there would be much legal jargon to sneak by.
Not old enough. Copyrights last for a long time. Under US copyright law, it's "seventy years after the death of an author, or seventy-five to ninety-five years in the case of works of corporate authorship and works first published before January 1, 1978".

It used to be 20 years shorter, but that was before the Mickey Mouse Protection Act of 1998. I wouldn't be surprised if it's further extended in another 12 years or so.
Mr.Denny

Post by Mr.Denny »

Very well, `ll remove it then.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Anyways, i think Alter Ego would be a nice addition to the Scummvm library. :)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Please support Duke Nukem Forever to ScummVM!!!! And Starcraft!!!!!!111

Why do people make such stupid petitions? ScummVM is adventure game only, not all the retro stuff. It's not the MAME for retro computer stuff...
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Mr.Denny wrote:Also, i believe it is legal seeing that even websites recreated the game in HTML.
Can't you already play it on the PSP via the web browser in that case?