We can no longer accept Paypal Donations

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

byeee

Post by byeee »

Who ever said 'PayPal isn't supporting emulators' has no idea what they're talking about. Just check www.abcwow.net (one of the biggest pirated World of Warcraft servers, as far as I was able to guess) and they use PayPal! It's right on the left, under the moneybookers thing. That was what I got with a short search... who knows what I would find if I looked at more results.
If they can't stop emulators of big games like WoW why tf do they matter about emulators for '90s games?
mkt

Post by mkt »

Morganoure

Post by Morganoure »

which looks like a badly made phishing site - not even terms of service listed anywhere, no imprint with a physical address like legally required in some countries, and morally required for a sensitive money handling operation everywhere in the world. Sure you're not a troll of them, mkt? ;)
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

I've got another idea how the project could make some money. How about selling T-shirts with "I (heart) ScummVM" printed on it or some other witty comments about ScummVM, like "I use ScummVM. Any problem with that?" :wink:
JulieC

Post by JulieC »

First, my disclaimers: I just stumbled upon ScummVM today from SourceForge whilst looking for something new to learn. Obviously, I'm a newbie, and I've just skimmed this thread. Anyway ...

The idea I had for generating revenue for my own evil purposes :twisted: may solve your PayPal donation woes. Their beef seems to be that you are accepting money for an emulator. What is you created a trivial set of original data files and accepted donations for that? The data files would require ScummVM of course.

Anyway, my evil plan was to somehow create data files that ran on some engine and take donations for them. I haven't invested enough effort to see if ScummVM is an appropriate engine.

So, if this is a good solution to your dilemma, in exchange I'd appreciate it if someone would point me in the direction of "creating Scumm data files for dummies". If it's a totally stoopid suggestion, just ignore me. ;)
X-Bahamut

So, who else has emailed Paypal?

Post by X-Bahamut »

So, who else has emailed Paypal?

=====

You guys are asshats(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/asshat). ScummVM has the approval and active cooperation of the copyright holders for the games their software runs. While I appreciate your right to provide or withhold your service when you think it's correct to do so, removing it's convenience from being used as a method of voluntarily donating for work you appreciate, from a project that is a enjoyed by many, legal, and has the approval of the people your AUP is worded to protect/remove Paypal's liability from, is plain stupid. And surprise, you've irritated yet another group of potential and current users of the paypal service. Great business plan, anger people for no reason. Good job. (Just since I'm under the impression you guys are indeed dense, that was sarcasm. FYI and all.)
And to the random minimum wage peon who ends up reading this, pass this up to your supervisor, and tell him to pass it to his manager.

A hearty one-fingered salute,
Jason Hutton
LN2

PayPal alternatives

Post by LN2 »

Hi,
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but have you considered using http://donorge.org as a replacement for PayPal yet? I have not used it myself yet, but have seen it being used by some opensource projects.
neurox

ePassporte

Post by neurox »

I think my company is considering ePassporte as an alternative to PayPal. I must admit that I have no information on them what so ever yet, but apparently they're providing the same service, but with fever restrictions.

Keep up the good work! Thanks to you guys, I'll hopefully still be playing Zak McKracken when I'm 70! :lol:
clem

Post by clem »

I haven't really been following the discussion, but how about putting wads of dollar bills in an envelope and sending it to the respective dev? :)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

clem wrote:I haven't really been following the discussion, but how about putting wads of dollar bills in an envelope and sending it to the respective dev? :)
Well if the post service where the developer is living is anything like the UK then 9 out of 10 things will go AWOL!
clem

Post by clem »

Jimbob wrote:Well if the post service where the developer is living is anything like the UK then 9 out of 10 things will go AWOL!
imagine sending cash to russia then, haha
Magnetic_dud

Post by Magnetic_dud »

Paypal and ebay simply sux.
They only wanna the money.
Is the reason because they banned every seller on ebay using Google Checkout as a payment method.
They are too greedy
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Have you found a solution how donations to the project can be received by now or are you still thinking about what is the best way to solve this problem? I'm just curious, because it would be a shame if such a wonderful project would be forced to stop work on it completely because it lacks of money donations. :(
Eh No Name Us

Post by Eh No Name Us »

clone2727 wrote:I'm not sure, but would Google Checkout be a good replacement for PayPal?
I would agree with that recommendation. I haven't used Google Checkout personally, but I've seen recommendations from sites that have, and they seem to follow the general "don't be evil" mindset. They also appear to charge lower fees than PayPal.
Raa

Post by Raa »

Okay I've got an idea.

Why not turn this donation around a bit.

Instead of asking for donations related to the software, change it and ask for donations for something else. Eg the website.

That way, you're not violating the AUP, as you're not accepting donations for the software, you're accepting donations for the website

I realise it's a bit of a fine line there, but you could have them on a technicality.

It may be worth a go anyway. Just thought i'd offer the suggestion up :)